Christmas carolers on . . . Loi Kroh!

JepSoDii

So I'm in the lazyboy chairs of a Loi Kro massage shop, getting the dogs rubbed at about 9pm, and all of the sudden I hear Christmas carols, which were beautifully sung I might add. The first two songs were religious themed and mentioned Jesus, then the last was the rather innocuous 'we wish you a merry christmas.' After it was over, a procession of roughly 50 people in Santa hats moved past the shop I was in, and down the road . . . so I was just wondering if anyone knows . . . are these people part of any particular organized group in Chiang Mai? And if anyone knows about them, why did they choose Loi Kroh? Sinner soi or something like that? :P

it's a mixture of different church groups in town. they apparently come thru almost every night for the past week. They stopped at the massage place I was at trying to enjoy a foot massage and drink my Chang Beer. They tried to act like they were not with any religious groups until I started naming off all the local churches and religious schools.... and one by one... oh I go there, i go there, i go there....

Offered them all a drink of my Christmas Drink (Chang) but all refused except for the little old lady in the mini skirt.

I live at the end of a soi in a thai local village in the middle of nowhere.

I now pass at least 7 properties all decorated with fairy lights,xmas trees flashing and its quite a warm feeling.

I as the only farang don't have anything.

That's what I liked about thailand, being able to escape christmas.

Then yesterday on my way back to the city about 30 schoolkids with 2 or 3 teachers were walking down the soi, carrying lanterns, wearing woolly hats and gloves...presumably on their way to sing and offer gifts to the old people.

It was lovely to see them and even better to hear several of them say hello.

Maybe I can put mr scrooge to bed this year...and then next year I too will get a gift for the old people

I think the Thais will be adopting our christian festival as their own soon enough.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

I too, am amazed at how many Thai homes in my moobaan are decorated with lights, snowmen, Christmas trees, etc. There were always a couple but this year, more than ever. Strangely, I see less and less Spirit Houses as more Thai homes go up in the area. I guess in the new high tech world, old traditions are slowly fading out.

Christianity and its followers have always been good at cultural genocide, rooting out indigenous beliefs and practices and replacing them with their own misguided beliefs and practices. If the indigenous culture or the other religion resisted too much, Christians were not averse to such things as the Inquisition or the Crusades. And, of course, anti-semitism has its firm roots in Christianity, Paul and Martin Luther being some of the prime examples, and we have seen where that led.

David

I saw them as well and was asked if I would like to join their midnight mass on Christmas Eve (2300 start) or their Christmas Day service at 10am.

Apparently if you cross over the main sammeratt (sp) bridge going out of town their church is on the left hand side.

• Like 1

In Big C last week walking about and thinking ...mmm who's really buying the Christmas decoration stuff?, at the checkout counter I was amazed to see several Thais with that "stuff" in their carts....and its not cheap!......the strange phenomena of the "Global-Village" ???

Christianity and its followers have always been good at cultural genocide, rooting out indigenous beliefs and practices and replacing them with their own misguided beliefs and practices. If the indigenous culture or the other religion resisted too much, Christians were not averse to such things as the Inquisition or the Crusades. And, of course, anti-semitism has its firm roots in Christianity, Paul and Martin Luther being some of the prime examples, and we have seen where that led.

David

So what are you then ? Muslim, Athiest ?? American ??

Forgot to mention the carolers were all farang, but now that you mention it, maybe I will make a note of this and see the payap uni choir one of these days.

re

. so I was just wondering if anyone knows . . . are these people part of any particular organized group in Chiang Mai? And if anyone knows about them

it could have been the payap uni choir ?

they are very good smile.png

dave2

David

Muslim, Atheist, American? Seems that you have an inability to compare apples to apples. Do you also compare dogs and cats to milk cartons?

From a religious perspective, I am an atheist. I don't believe in gods (of whichever flavor) any more than I believe in the tooth fairy or Easter bunnies.

David

After a year of annoying each other, they decide to go and annoy others. Nothing like the spirt of Christmas. I'd much rather hear some good Buddhist chanting.

Actually there is nothing like some well sung carols to make me get goose bumps. Good for them I say!

Edited by bever

Was that the Nawaratt bridge? I would love to hear the carols on XMass eve.

I saw them as well and was asked if I would like to join their midnight mass on Christmas Eve (2300 start) or their Christmas Day service at 10am.Apparently if you cross over the main sammeratt (sp) bridge going out of town their church is on the left hand side.

Edited by bever

David

Muslim, Atheist, American? Seems that you have an inability to compare apples to apples. Do you also compare dogs and cats to milk cartons?

From a religious perspective, I am an atheist. I don't believe in gods (of whichever flavor) any more than I believe in the tooth fairy or Easter bunnies.

David

Religion and politics always makes for heated and ultimately boring and sad posts, I like the way the Thais are more than happy to add another reason for a holiday or celebration.

• Like 2

Chiangmai has quite a big Christian population. They are mainly chinese immigrants or refugees from Chairman Mao. Also the native Thais do not need to belong to a religious group, they will join in any celebration regardless of its origin as long as there is enough Sanuk