Using Nexus 7 2nd Gen LTE As a Phone (More Or Less)

MrGaoMungGawn

What are the realistic and practicable options for using this Nexus as a phone in Thailand:

1. How to get Google Voice when you are in Thailand? Please tell us if you know how.

2. I have Skype installed

3. I have a micro SIM card for AIS installed. But how to use this with some app as a phone? Is this even possible? Some say yes, some say no.

Any more good info regarding the Nexus 7 and phone related topics, please mention here.

Thank you.

Nexus 7 is the best 7 inch tablet at the moment, and very reasonably priced. Fast processor, slim, understated beautiful machine, with amazing 1920 - 1200 displey. Nexus 7 2013 displey is so good, I prefer it to super AMOLED.

I had mine for 1 week in november. I carried it in back pocket, always remembered to take it out of the pocket, before sitting down.

But I forgot to do it one time. I ate at my fav kebab place on 2nd rd, South rd kebab place. Finished my meal, stood up, walked and took it out of the pocket. Screen lights up as it is supposed to, but tapping on screen and nothing happened. I restarded, still touch screen not responding. It was dark outside, for 15 min I tryed to click and click, no change. Then in front of brightly lit shop window, I found out whats up. Tiny, barely visible crack in on corner.

So thats that. Replacement screen sells for $120, or so. No point to repAir it, you spend close to what new machine costs. I was not a happy man for several days.

Ggled the Nexus 7 screen, search shows many, many web board threads, people with same issue, and everybody agreeing that Nexus 7 is very fragile. Some posters claiming, they manAged to crack the displey just by twisting the tablet too strongly.

Please keep in mind, it is not built very solid.

But again, amazing tablet the new Nexus 7 is for sure.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir

Nexus 7 is the best 7 inch tablet at the moment, and very reasonably priced. Fast processor, slim, beautiful machine, with amazing 1920 - 1200 displey. Nexus displey is Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course I agree with you.

But, I also want to know how to use this beautiful machine as a phone.

In the USA, for example, many landlines are actually Voip (Voice over IP)

So then why can't this tablet use some app to connect calls to land lines in Thailand.

I really don't know much about various connectivity options, having spent most of my life with only a PC, and never wanting a smartphone or a tablet until last week.

So any adivce will be appreciated.

At the moment, I need to carry a smartphone AND the tablet.

It is good to carry a phone and a tablet.

Phone alone is too small for reading news web sites etc. Phone should fit in one hand, and your thumb should be able to reach all keys.

7 inch tablet is way large to be used as main phone, but great for web surf.

Unfortunately the N7 (2013) 3G/LTE variant does not have a native dialer, or support for standard GSM telephone voice calls. So you cannot make or receive standard GSM voice calls.

I'm surprised as several 3G tablets in this category do offer this capability, and I really thought that this variant did support GSM calls.

Google Voice won't do you much good, for now anyway. Are you from the U.S.? do you make a lot of calls to/from the U.S.? If so, getting a GV number might be useful, you'll need to use a VPN to enroll. But it won't necessarily help with calls to/from/within other countries.

Your only remaining option would be to use VoIP, on WiFi or possibly 3G. You'll have to look around for the best VoIP to address your individual calling requirements.

Otherwise, maybe keep a real phone handy for calls.

It is good to carry a phone and a tablet. Phone alone is too small for reading news web sites etc. Phone should fit in one hand, and your thumb should be able to reach all keys. 7 inch tablet is way large to be used as main phone, but great for web surf. Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes and no, it all depends how much you talk on the phone on the go, I often have days going by without any phone calls going in/out.

I have some friends I sometimes talk to for one hour on the phone but if I am out when they call I tell them that I will call back when home.

My IQ4 phone's 5" screen is big enough to surf the net, playing a game and read a book but I seldom uses it for that.

The Nexus 7 looks really nice but can you buy the sim card option in Thailand yet?

The Nexus 7 looks really nice but can you buy the sim card option in Thailand yet?

In first week if November I asked guys at Asus counter in IT City in Siam Paragon when will Nexus 7 be reliesed in Thailand. Answer, next week next week.

I go back next week, no Nexus 7, but next week for sure, they said.

So headed straight to MBK 4 th floor, spent an hour canvassing that labyrinth, and finally found a booth that had a sim card version.

13.500 baht, grey import from HK. No warranty in Thailand, but I have never needed warranty repair for any phone, Im into crashing screens, and no warranty would cover that.

Last week I dropped by Paragons IT City, hoping to ask about replacing my broken screen. No have, next week next week. LOL

Walked on 4th floor at MBK, pretty much every other vendor now sells it, 12.900

This guy has it for sure, I know him or few years, usually you dont find shops that can beat his prices.

http://www.sphonethailands.com/p/blog-page_27.html

Asus/Thailand localized the Nexus 7 (2013)/32 GB/WiFi+ 3G/LTE for the Thai market a while ago. It is widely available here with an MSRP of 13,500 THB. This is an official product, supported by Asus/THL. There are some shops promoting this unit for as low as 12,800 THB. I forget which of the two LTE variants this model is?

As with any model/variants, there are grey-market units available in 16 and 32 GB/WiFi only; maybe even the U.S./LTE variant (supports 700 MHz LTE)?

At the moment, I need to carry a smartphone AND the tablet.

Get yourself a Phablet, there are few in this category: Samsung Note 3 with 5.7" screen, Sony Xperia Z Ultra with 6.4" (this one is also waterproof - can take it with you swimming), then there's also Samsung Mega with a choice of 5.8" dual SIM and 6.3" single SIM phones. Probably few more models from other manufacturers.

I really liked the Sony with 6.4" screen, but I've had a Samsung before upgrading to another Samsung - Note 3. 5.7" is plenty, I don't need tablets, it still fits into my pockets, it's not too big to use as a phone, in fact, I recently realized it's larger screen than that on my ebook reader, so I'm leaving another device at home under the bed.

If you don't have any brand preference, go'n check the Sony Z Ultra, beautiful large waterproof phone tablet phablet.

I think some variants (3G/international and not LTE/U.S.) of these models support native dialers, and offer GSM voice, text/USSD:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100
although you might look silly with one of these wedged up against your noggin, so get a headset.
The N7 is still primarily targeted for the U.S market where there may be some impetus to "cripple" tablets, prevent them from being phones.
The underlying hardware might conceivably support the app, and would require rooting/modding, flashing a dialer/sms.apk. Still reading threads like this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2380145&page=5

Get yourself a Phablet, there are few in this category: Samsung Note 3 with 5.7" screen, Sony Xperia Z Ultra with 6.4" (this one is also waterproof - can take it with you swimming), then there's also Samsung Mega

If you don't have any brand preference, go'n check the Sony Z Ultra, beautiful large waterproof

I agree very much that Sony Ultra is is very nice machine, beautiful design with black anodized Aluminum and black glass, both back and front, and it very thin, thinner than Sony flagship phone, the Z1. I have it, and I love it.

But it is way to large to use as a phone, 6.4 inches is only.. 0.6 inches smaller than Nexus 7.

6.4 inch 1080 screen is enough to read and view any web page with ease, and you can type fast. Ultra really is a tablet.

Another very big plus about Ultra, it fits in my jeans front pocket, so very little chance I break it, and also safer to carry with you in crowded streets, with tablet in your back pocket, you constantly keep your hand there, it would be very easy to snatch.

But it is huge, much too big to be used as a phone.

I think Note 5.7 inches is the largest device, that you can use as everyday phone.

• Like 1

I think Note 5.7 inches is the largest device, that you can use as everyday phone.

I thought the same thing when I purchased my Galaxy S2 some 3 years ago? It was the largest screen size at the time I believe, or one of the largest, and my GF's dad was making jokes about me carrying a TV in my pocket, lol. Shortly after, Samsung introduced the 1st Note and I regretted not waiting a little longer. I've got the Note 3 now but before I got it, I played with Sony Ultra and I loved everything about the phone but was a little concerned with the size, just a little. In the end I've had a brand preference and also Note was of a higher specs than the Ultra, stylus was a nice bonus which I actually use quite often.

I never really wanted a tablet, I have a laptop for anything more serious that can't be done on my phone, but if a tablet was a consideration, I would have had an Ultra now. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Agreed, if you dont wish to carry 2 devices with you all the time, phone and tablet, but you need largest screen that fits in your pocket, but can still be used as a phone every day, there is no alternative to Galaxy Note series.

And Note 3 being the absolute cutting edge at the moment is a nice bonus.

Ultra displey is very nice, but not as nice as Samsungs super AMOLED.

The only displey comparable is new Nexus 7. N7 displey so crisp.. Ughh why did I crack mine!

just to show how large Sony Ultra is, compared to 5 inch phone, here's a pic..

from left: Sony Z1, a 5 inch phone, Sony Ultra, 6.4 inch phone, Nexus 7 2103, 7 inches

I wouldn't want to carry Nexus 7 as my mane phone, you break it really easy, if keep in back pocket. Or you need to carry a bag. But who wants to carry a bag? Phone should fit in a pocket.

post-93591-0-06885700-1387810115_thumb.j

just to show how large Sony Ultra is, compared to 5 inch phone, here's a pic..

from left: Sony Z1, a 5 inch phone, Sony Ultra, 6.4 inch phone, Nexus 7 2103, 7 inches

I wouldn't want to carry Nexus 7 as my mane phone, you break it really easy, if keep in back pocket. Or you need to carry a bag. But who wants to carry a bag? Phone should fit in a pocket.

attachicon.gifsony 1.jpg

OK, then. Here is a question for you:

1. If I can have my Nexus 7 always connected via either local WiFi Hotspots/access points, or via AIS unlimited 1GB internet maximum speed service, then why don't I just use Skype or some other SIP Voip service to connect to both other SIP Voip users, or to other land line phones?

2. I don't even like the audio quality of the land line phones in Thailand, even when I call to BKK. Therefore, why not just always use Voip from my Nexus 7.

3. Can more people here comment on this question? Because, basically, this was my mane question in my Topic here. I.E., how to turn my Nexus into a phone calling machine.

Thank you.

Answered in post #6:

Your only remaining option would be to use VoIP, on WiFi or possibly 3G. You'll have to look around for the best VoIP to address your individual calling requirements.

Who/what/where do you want to call? Do you want people to be able to call you? Do you care what number they have to dial to call you? Only you know your calling patterns/requirements/budget.

You'll be able to off-load some of you originated/terminated calls via VoIP, but not all; it will probably cost you more and will be kludgy to manage.

Net, net you'd probably be better off with a 900 baht mobile phone.

I think Skype has a paid option to have have your own Skype number, at least they have had this option in the past. But I'm not sure if you can get a Thai number with them, you 'd need to check yourself.

Unless you don't get out from your house with good WiFi, your internet connection over 3G would more likely be unreliable and the 1 GB unlimited isn't really unlimited, after you used up your 1 GB, it becomes pretty limited speed wise and you won't be able to use VoIP services. I've been on AIS up until recently and I'm talking from experience.

You were given some good options here, but you keep pushing for something that's not easily doable and not reliable.

Viber. Download Viber app, free messaging and free phone calls. The other person needs Viber in his device as well. So that may not work for you.

But for memaking phone calls from here to Europe, it really nice app.

I think Skype has a paid option to have have your own Skype number, at least they have had this option in the past. But I'm not sure if you can get a Thai number with them, you 'd need to check yourself.

Unless you don't get out from your house with good WiFi, your internet connection over 3G would more likely be unreliable and the 1 GB unlimited isn't really unlimited, after you used up your 1 GB, it becomes pretty limited speed wise and you won't be able to use VoIP services. I've been on AIS up until recently and I'm talking from experience.

You were given some good options here, but you keep pushing for something that's not easily doable and not reliable.

1. I do have a USA Skype number, and it works well for people who call me. Works Very well, in fact. But I now read that Thailand is not a country where the Skype number is offered, probaby due to competitiion with existing local carriers. The list of Skype Number Countries is at this link: http://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

2. I would immediately apply for a Google number but I can't do that if I am contacting the big G from the big T.

3. I have looked on the phones of a few of my friends (kon Thai) and they all have skype loaded, as well as a few GF in Taiwan, who still call me. I will try using my Skype client loaded on my phone and my tablet to call a few of them, and see what happens.

4. I am willing to pay the cost of Skype to landline when I call from my home, because this is usually better audio quality than calling "long distance" from a landline, CM to BKK.

5. As everyone here seems to be telling me, I probably will only get the info I am seeking from trial by fire, or using Skype and a SIP client to see which is better.

6. I can understand that the local carrier do not want to have a easy VOIP option for consumers to use. But I also wonder about LINE since everyone in Thailand and his dog seems to have this installed, and I think someone told me one can call using LINE to other computers/devices which have LINE installed.

Skype Numbers are available in the following countries/regions:

• Australia
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Japan *
  • Korea
  • Republic of Malta
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • South Africa
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • USA

* Japan is unavailable if purchased with Skype Credit or with a subscription purchased with Skype Credit.