Bangkok overrun by huge protest

webfact

So while the protests in Bangkok continue where is the boss?

During her train journey from Udon Thani to Nong Khai, she monitored protesters' moves via iPad, which was linked to signals from a camera circuit at her home via the Internet. She admitted she was worried about the rallies in Bangkok, and passed a message to her staff to tell the protesters that the house's owner was not there.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

So she has run away just like her brother who is stuck in a place where no one wai's him.

That must wind him up every day. Better punishment than an open hi-so prison in Thailand where he would have emerged a peoples hero.

She is no leader and brother Thaksin has run out of cash to fund the farmers who are waiting to be paid from the rice that is rotting and will take over half a decade to sell.

The Democrats are not prepared to pick up this hot potato and say the kitty is empty.

The mad building boom has to be financed but who will pay? With no stupid mega projects with borrowed money it looks like the house of cards is on the verge of collapse. Spain...Greece... Thailand?

Tourists move quickly unlike the infrastructure.

Hahaha, Dubai might have some extra tourists soon...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaiyaphum. In my post I said how Thais tend to follow a feudal based loyalty and I think this is what you are getting at and I agree totally. That is the problem. They don't vote for who they think will do a good job, rather they tend to follow an almost 'tribal' allegiance to someone. No point in us westerners looking at Thailand through 'western democratic eyes'... I'm not convinced that it is a system that will work here given the patronage system existing in Thai culture. Having said that.... they all have their noses in various troughs. All sides of politics have a history of abusing a system to their own advantage where checks and balances are weak and the judicial system up to the highest bidder. What a lot of posters here do, is focus on who is the more corrupt.

And we westerners don't do exactly that? We also have a total corrupt system back home. Same same but different.

• Like 1

All that generalizing, flat critiques Show that most of the above writers are like sheeps follow the one run in front. Democratic means the majority says what the want to have - others is dictatorship. I am pretty shure that Thaksin did pay over all the years billions for the millions of Thai People vote for his Sister or the other 2 by polls selected PM's. As Long as a Party is violating People and offend (may be some) less educated People they will never win any poll!

PLEASE all you writers.. is there just ONE Person who can bring up a single, proven sound basis why Yingruck should not be the PM, that she is the sister of Mr. Thaksin is no reason at all, it speaks for her that she has no blood at her fingers like others did order the Military to kill People in Bangkok! She could have done same..

Those who think that Mr. Abhisit, Suthep, Chuan or democrats are better.. please check out wikileaks under corruption, Mr. Suthep was sentenced about illegal land deals - but they forgot to put him a 2 years in jail judgement, otherwise he would be in Dubai and Play Cards instead of heating up Thai against Thai!! All those who think it is good if a Person with a red Shirt passing or meet an other one in yellow and they try to kill each other without even know who the other is, go on follow the stupid protests instead of let domocratic rules play. It's cheeky, abusive and presumptuous to set the Statement the majority of Thai voters is corrupt (payd for vote), dump or inexperienced - because they are NOT they go vote and choose what they want.

Mr. Abhisit (Democrats....) was prime Minister the only thing i remember is the bloodbath in Bangkok and the nearly started border war with cambodia... is there someone around tell me ONE simple measurable good thing happened in that time ??

About Mr. Thaksin everybody can think as he/she likes.. that he payd back multi-billion debt in the first 2 years in Office, Skytrain, Suvarnabhumi Airport, Streets, Schools, OTOP, fighting drugs, develop the country's economy, payable healthcare for all and much more.... this are Facts, not flat critiques. About Mr. Thaksin was corrupt (same crime act as Mr. Suthep seems to be sentenced...) or not - I DONT KNOW. But what counts it wat has left for the People.. and that was much!

Check out wikipedia:

anti-corruption-unit-clear-former-pm-chuan-from-defunct-asset-sales-case-favoritism/

Wikipedia Chuan_Leekpai see under corruption

But I know wikipedia and all different thinking People are corrupt...

Those who meight smile about my english.. we can write in german or french

• Like 1

Bangkok Post said the security officials have estimated 270,000, and we all know being in the control of the government that the quote will be definitely played down.

So was it the big million + ??

Possibly.

Bluesky was reporting 3.5 million. police reported 135,000. so somewhere int he middle is probably correct. I would say about a million or more!

About 135,000 is more likely. See stadium pic with a capacity of 102,329:

attachicon.gifStadium.jpg

]

Shame in your effort to cut already conservative estimates of 270,000 in half with your own estimate, pulled from god knows where, that you decided to use the red shirted Ohio State american football fans instead of the few hundred thai red shirted Thaksin fans at their last rally.

But, anyway, Go Buckeyes!

All around Victory Monument could not even fill The Bay-Arena in munich.. I agree to 135'000 because I like that number :-)

They were pushing a Thai PBS reporter around - you can sense the tension growing - probably won't be long before street fighting begins. Suthep is the most dangerous creature to crawl out of the swamp for a long time in fact since General SeeDaeng and he met a sniper's bullet followed by a Royal funeral.

• Like 1

So imagine some US crank trying to get rid of billionaire's voting power such as the Bush family by boycotting next elections.

Bush/Taksin not same same???

The silliness just never ends. So, I'll bite. Bush is awaiting 2 years incarceration and a fugitive in some foreign country for what crimes was that again? Was there some private "tartempion trial" the world has yet to hear about? Tsk tsk tsk - you've been in the liquor cabinet again...

Oh, and he's been secretly guiding the Obama administration ever since he left office??!! ROFL

Too funny. Yes, genius. "Same same" indeed. Why, anyone can see it. 5555555555

The silliness just never ends. So, I'll bite. Bush is awaiting 2 years incarceration and a fugitive in some foreign country for what crimes was that again? Was there some private "tartempion trial" the world has yet to hear about? Tsk tsk tsk - you've been in the liquor cabinet again...

Oh, and he's been secretly guiding the Obama administration ever since he left office??!! ROFL

Too funny. Yes, genius. "Same same" indeed. Why, anyone can see it. 5555555555

All post WW2 U.S presidents would be hung if the Nuremburg trials were applied. The International Court of Justice is a joke. They only sentence enemies of NATO.

Not to mention how the banking elite, who control our governments and media, is robbing us blind as we speak.

Western societies are corrupt to the core. You just don't see the obvious.

• Like 1

They were pushing a Thai PBS reporter around - you can sense the tension growing

It wasn't "they" that were pushing, it was one individual, and that individual was quickly restrained, as were all others after the lone push.

It's a remarkable improvement over protesters in 2010 who went unrestrained by the cooler heads, unlike in this video.

As well, back then, they used cinder blocks, grenade launchers, and automatic weapons...instead of pushing.

Thanks for posting the video. It's encouraging that protesters are not nearly as violent as before.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty
  • Like 1

It wasn't "they" that were pushing, it was one individual, and that individual was quickly restrained, as were all others after the lone push.

It's a remarkable improvement over protesters in 2010 who went unrestrained by the cooler heads, unlike in this video.

As well, back then, they used cinder blocks, grenade launchers, and automatic weapons...instead of pushing.

Thanks for posting the video. It's encouraging that protesters are not nearly as violent as before.

Funny how you can spin stuff. A protestor in a yellow shirt pushed the reporter hard enough to knock him down and one assumes at that point the others would have started kicking him. He was lucky to get out with his life.

Funny how you can spin stuff. A protestor in a yellow shirt pushed the reporter hard enough to knock him down and one assumes at that point the others would have started kicking him. He was lucky to get out with his life.

Rather than indulge in your fevered imagination of events that never occured, I prefer to stay with the color video that depicts the reality of what did occur.

• Like 1

Rather than indulge in your fevered imagination of events that never occured, I prefer to stay with the color video that depicts the reality of what did occur.

Stick with what we saw? OK we both saw a guy get pushed. You said, "It's a remarkable improvement over protesters in 2010 who went unrestrained by the cooler heads, unlike in this video. As well, back then, they used cinder blocks, grenade launchers, and automatic weapons...instead of pushing."

You don't think that's spinning? smile.png That was my point. I said he was pushed hard and could have gone down and been kicked. You went off on things that happened a few years ago.

Edited by thailiketoo

Whatever happens over the next year the problems are not going to go away. The economy and infrastructure pretty much echo the Thai philosophy of building. Foundations don't matter because they cost a lot but cannot be seen.

However foundations support everything and I'm afraid to say the house will come tumbling down soon.

Everything in Thailand is like a house of cards or one of those games you see in resorts where wood blocks are removed.

I might be missing something but I don't see Thailand as a nation like South Korea with well educated industrious people.

In fact I'd say Thailand is the opposite. No oil,minerals or major export ability. It has been a cheap labour/cheap holiday destination but like Spain etc tourist trades move on to the next hot spot.

'I might be missing something but I don't see Thailand as a nation like South Korea with well educated industrious people.'

That is because Korea got its civil war out of the way 60 years ago, and the country became divided.

The despotic power drunk populist and his minions in the north, and the democratic and more 'western influenced' in the south.

Then the border went up, and guess who came out on top?

If it ever went to a civil war, that would be the likely outcome.

You quote Western influence like its a good thing. They got. MacDonald's out of the deal...great!

How about the protesers leader on stage point to a Farang reporter and say something like (not the exact word) "That farang is a red reporter, let's give him a lesson to straighten him up". Then punches immediately start flying from all direction. I think the Farang is call Nick.

• Like 2

What is the point of arguing among foreigners about who is democractic and who is not, who is more corrupt and who has his hands stained with more blood ? We try to stretch our political opinions to the Thai system but that doesn't really work, and in my opinion just makes us look stupid.

As another poster put in better words than mine, all this is just the re-enactement of what happened in 2008 (and many times before), leading to a soft military coup, then negotiations, and then new elections, possibly a new constitution or whatever else serves the purpose and is of no real meaning and no real improvement for the country. This seems to be a cyclic system with which everyone is happy about.

Both parties have should have learned their lessons but that will not prevent people from dying if they will choose to fight and resist instead of going with the flow, to a conclusion that is almost certain. The truly powerful actors are just waiting for the events to mature, and the smart ones are thinking many moves in advance of what is apparant now.

Foreigners should worry more about guarding their properties and protect loved ones (not to say there is real danger now) than trying to read the meaning of where the PM spent the weekend, as to interpret a picture that is much bigger of our understanding and knowledge. We are not part of this conflict, our opinion and influence is not of any importance, nor do they care much about the country image in these cases. Democracy in Thailand is just an empty word.

Edited by paz

This is all so simple. Well, not really - genuine substantial reforms are needed, but...

If the PTP (including all formerly elected office-holders and senior appointees) would just repudiate Thaksin (and given the record of the YS incumbency would have to include all of the Shinawatres), openly, individually, irrevocably, and in a manner that would involve clear loss of face if ever put aside, Suthep individually might not be satisfied, but his strength would drain away. (...and BTW, as evidence of their "good faith" - a euphemism to be sure - revoke Thaksin's passport.)

But that won't happen, obviously. You see, it IS all about Thaksin. One man who won't give up his grab for wealth & power - and that man isn't Suthep, no matter what those struggling to deflect attention from Thaksin keep chanting.. And so, all this. It, including Suthep, could be over tomorrow.

Just curious.

]What planet do you live on?

Where popularly elected governments simply aborgate their responsibility to govern and step off the stage because a fascist demands they do so?

Yours is the voice of the extortionist- the kidnapper- the terrorist.. THINK

Not even its enemies declare this government came to power in any way other than popular will.

And yet you seem to be saying - 'give us what we want or you will be resposible for our actions'.,

and what is it that you want/

Reform- a chocolate pudding in your Christmas sock?

Heaven on Earth?

please come back to earth.

Edited by blaze

How about the protesers leader on stage point to a Farang reporter and say something like (not the exact word) "That farang is a red reporter, let's give him a lesson to straighten him up". Then punches immediately start flying from all direction. I think the Farang is call Nick.

I remember this reported indecent, and there is a photo documented article on an academic Thai website (don't know if I can link to that) but at any rate its disgusting and sums up the intolerance this yellow mob has for anyone that doesn't agree with them.

here is a quote "What happened is that former Democrat MP Jumpol Chumsai pointed out Nick from the stage and said he was a “Red journalist” who should be thrown out. Nick was then attacked. This version of events is not up for debate. It is what happened."

Edited by moonao
  • Like 1

Stick with what we saw? OK we both saw a guy get pushed.

I said he was pushed hard and could have gone down and been kicked. You went off on things that happened a few years ago.

Good to see you now recognize that, in reality, he wasn't knocked down, that others didn't kick him, and that, indeed, he did get out with his life.

Reality is a good thing.

I remember this reported incident. The photos shown did not document any physical injury commensurate with "punches flying". The protest leader also did not say what you wrote (perhaps go the thread where that is the topic to see what really was said.

You'll also read about the what role that the farang nick played in the escalation of the situation according to his interview on that thread.)

Stick with what we saw? OK we both saw a guy get pushed.

I said he was pushed hard and could have gone down and been kicked. You went off on things that happened a few years ago.

Good to see you now recognize that, in reality, he wasn't knocked down, that others didn't kick him, and that, indeed, he did get out with his life.

Reality is a good thing.

NO NO NO. YOU CAN NOT EDIT MY POSTS. The above is attributed to me and that is not what I posted. I realize you think Thai Visa is a forum that will allow you to distort reality and spin events to reflect your views rather than what happened but you can't edit my posts. If you want to quote me fine, quote the whole post and don't edit to change my meaning, that is a dastardly debate technique and you should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to something so low.

Please request a moderator delete your post #260 where you edited and changed the meaning of my post # 253

Below is what I wrote.

Stick with what we saw? OK we both saw a guy get pushed. You said, "It's a remarkable improvement over protesters in 2010 who went unrestrained by the cooler heads, unlike in this video. As well, back then, they used cinder blocks, grenade launchers, and automatic weapons...instead of pushing."

You don't think that's spinning? smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png That was my point. I said he was pushed hard and could have gone down and been kicked. You went off on things that happened a few years ago.

• Like 1

I remember this reported incident. The photos shown did not document any physical injury commensurate with "punches flying". The protest leader also did not say what you wrote (perhaps go the thread where that is the topic to see what really was said.

You'll also read about the what role that the farang nick played in the escalation of the situation according to his interview on that thread.)

Monday, November 25th, 2013 | Posted by Editor

German Photo Journalist Nick Nostitz Attacked by Anti-Government Protesters

The FCCT issued a statement Monday that said: “An accredited foreign journalist was today assaulted by anti-government protesters while doing his job covering the ongoing protests.

The FCCT deplores this in the strongest possible terms, and calls upon protest leaders to unequivocally and publicly state that the rights of journalists, foreign or Thai, should be respected.”

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/20491.html

Edited by thailiketoo

All that generalizing, flat critiques Show that most of the above writers are like sheeps follow the one run in front. Democratic means the majority says what the want to have - others is dictatorship. I am pretty shure that Thaksin did pay over all the years billions for the millions of Thai People vote for his Sister or the other 2 by polls selected PM's. As Long as a Party is violating People and offend (may be some) less educated People they will never win any poll!

PLEASE all you writers.. is there just ONE Person who can bring up a single, proven sound basis why Yingruck should not be the PM, that she is the sister of Mr. Thaksin is no reason at all, it speaks for her that she has no blood at her fingers like others did order the Military to kill People in Bangkok! She could have done same..

Those who think that Mr. Abhisit, Suthep, Chuan or democrats are better.. please check out wikileaks under corruption, Mr. Suthep was sentenced about illegal land deals - but they forgot to put him a 2 years in jail judgement, otherwise he would be in Dubai and Play Cards instead of heating up Thai against Thai!! All those who think it is good if a Person with a red Shirt passing or meet an other one in yellow and they try to kill each other without even know who the other is, go on follow the stupid protests instead of let domocratic rules play. It's cheeky, abusive and presumptuous to set the Statement the majority of Thai voters is corrupt (payd for vote), dump or inexperienced - because they are NOT they go vote and choose what they want.

Mr. Abhisit (Democrats....) was prime Minister the only thing i remember is the bloodbath in Bangkok and the nearly started border war with cambodia... is there someone around tell me ONE simple measurable good thing happened in that time ??

About Mr. Thaksin everybody can think as he/she likes.. that he payd back multi-billion debt in the first 2 years in Office, Skytrain, Suvarnabhumi Airport, Streets, Schools, OTOP, fighting drugs, develop the country's economy, payable healthcare for all and much more.... this are Facts, not flat critiques. About Mr. Thaksin was corrupt (same crime act as Mr. Suthep seems to be sentenced...) or not - I DONT KNOW. But what counts it wat has left for the People.. and that was much!

Check out wikipedia:

anti-corruption-unit-clear-former-pm-chuan-from-defunct-asset-sales-case-favoritism/

Wikipedia Chuan_Leekpai see under corruption

But I know wikipedia and all different thinking People are corrupt...

Those who meight smile about my english.. we can write in german or french

Perjury is a good reason for her not to be PM.

Sent from my phone ...

Monday, November 25th, 2013 | Posted by Editor

German Photo Journalist Nick Nostitz Attacked by Anti-Government Protesters

The FCCT issued a statement Monday that said: “An accredited foreign journalist was today assaulted by anti-government protesters while doing his job covering the ongoing protests.

The FCCT deplores this in the strongest possible terms, and calls upon protest leaders to unequivocally and publicly state that the rights of journalists, foreign or Thai, should be respected.”

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/20491.html

Yes, that's in the topic-specific thread, along with this bit about what that odd fellow said before he was identified from the rally stage:

"Nostitz said he was arguing with protest guards.... "