Chinese tourists rescued from sinking speedboat in Phuket's Chalong Bay

webfact

Chinese tourists rescued from sinking speedboat in Phuket's Chalong Bay
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_20131223114120671_AHnNxAxzMCX
By the time Marine Police arrived, only the front tip of the speed boat was above the surface of the water. Photo: Marine Police

PHUKET: -- A speed boat carrying Chinese tourists from Koh Lone to Chalong Pier took on water yesterday morning and sank about 500 meters from Chalong Pier.

A passing longtail boat safely transferred the 16 passengers and three boat crew members from the speedboat to the pier.

The speed boat Alisa 2 was nearing Chalong at about 8am when the boat crew noticed that they were taking on water at the back of the boat.

“They shouted to inform everyone on the boat about what was happening and also shouted to a man in a longtail boat nearby for help,” said Captain Wichan Sripat, 32, who immediately notified Marine Police of the crisis.

The 60-year-old longtail boat driver, Areed Yuenyong, said he was headed to Chalong Pier with his brother when he heard the shouts for help.

“When I arrived at the boat, I saw the tourists panicking,” he said. “All the tourists and boat crew got into my boat and we took them to the pier.”

By the time Marine Police arrived, Mr Areed had everyone safely on board, said Marine Police Inspector Chatchai Sakdee.

“The speedboat was almost completely submerged in the water by that time. We could see only the front of the boat.”

Marine Police are investigating the cause of the sinking, Col Chatchai said.

“We are stern in telling boat drivers to check their boats before going out. It’s necessary in order to prevent marine accidents,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Chinese-tourists-rescued-from-sinking-speedboat-in-Phuket-s-Chalong-Bay-23089.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-23

It is amazing the regularity of boat sinking's in Phuket and Pattaya. Instead of telling the boat companies to check there

boats, why are the boats not inspected yearly as part of the companies business operation license? blink.png

Not again, this is a very poor record of water safety from the Pattaya "fleet". The boys from Sattahib need to come up and show them how it is done.

You're moaning in the wrong forum.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pearls of wisdom from the Colonel of Marine Police ....... they don't need Marine Police, they need Marine Safety Inspectors to check the seaworthiness of all boats at regularly defined time intervals - qualified Maritime Safety personnel.

They do exist in Thailand - I have worked with them.

Not again, this is a very poor record of water safety from the Pattaya "fleet". The boys from Sattahib need to come up and show them how it is done.

Au contraire, mon ami.

Phuket is infamous for taxi driver violence and drug addict knife attacks and muggings on tourists fully backed by the xenophobic Phuket police. This is deliberate targeting. That is why am I encourage people not to visit Phuket.

Pattaya is a typical South-East Asian mess of mismanagement, replete with appalling safety standards, very poor road safety, bad traffic, bad drains, etc. This, you can find anywhere including Phuket. That is why I do not discourage people from visiting Pattaya, only encourage them to do their research first and make decisions on the Reagan maxim, "Trust, but verify."

Au contraire, mon ami.

Phuket is infamous for taxi driver violence and drug addict knife attacks and muggings on tourists fully backed by the xenophobic Phuket police. This is deliberate targeting. That is why am I encourage people not to visit Phuket.

Pattaya is a typical South-East Asian mess of mismanagement, replete with appalling safety standards, very poor road safety, bad traffic, bad drains, etc. This, you can find anywhere including Phuket. That is why I do not discourage people from visiting Pattaya, only encourage them to do their research first and make decisions on the Reagan maxim, "Trust, but verify."

Now I understand, that is why 'this is a very poor nrecord of water safety from the Pattaya fleet.

I'm glad you're talking about a different Phuket than the one I live in.