Cambodian, Thai troops clash at border

webfact

Cambodian, Thai troops clash at border

thai-khmer-border-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Cambodian and Thai troops engaged in a 20-minute firefight on Saturday, with one Thai soldier sustaining an injury, a military official said on Sunday.

Major Un Manab, deputy military commander of border Infantry Battalion 303 based in Koh Kong’s Thmar Baing district, said the exchange of gunfire happened at about 11:30am, when a group of patrolling Thai soldiers strayed into Cambodian territory, then opened fire after refusing to withdraw.

The exchange of gunfire lasted for about 20 minutes, Manab told the Phnom Penh Post. “Our soldiers are fine, but one Thai soldier was injured in the leg.”

According to Manab, the situation has been tense since the incident and some border gates had been closed to commerce, adding commanders have travelled to Thailand’s Trat province to negotiate.

Kouy Saroeun, commander of Border Police Infantry Unit 825 in Pursat’s Veal Veng district, said he expected a result from the meeting of commanders on Monday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cambodian-thai-troops-clash-border/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-24

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what we needed!!thumbsup.gif

A neo-fascist is doing his best to create chaos in the country, the government are busy filling their pockets and law-enforcement is not existing!!

A now as icing on the cake, a small war with Cambodia!w00t.gif

Fascism: Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote about fascism: "The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power

Sounds like Thaksin to me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually it sounds like what has been going on in the USA!

Maybe TAT got the news postponed, so it wouldnt affect the arrivals or hotel bookings.

Those Thai soldiers that strayed over the border WILL be counted in the stats for departures and arrivals by TAT

They strayed into Cambodia. That got a 8 year sentence in a Cambodian prison for Veera Somkwamkid.

I'm sure, though, the "Eternal Friend" will call Hun Sen from Dubai to smooth the ruffled feathers, in this case.

• Like 1

Actually, I think it's been a regurgitation of past arguments which highlights the displaced aggression of some foreign guests of Thailand.

Perhaps they are channeling their own despair and self loathing. Whatever, the reason, Thaksin has nothing to do with the illegal breaching of Cambodia's territory.

Accidents happen, but in this case, the NCO/JGO leading the patrol better have a good reason for his incompetence when this comes before the review tribunal.

• Like 1

the photo is of the poipet/aranyaprathet border crossing but the incident is supposed to have happened in Koh Kong province.

just north of koh kong is the cardoman mountains the last wilderness in south east asia.

it is difficult terain to trek in since it is all rocks and water and steep slopes.

it is easy for foreign trekkers and khmers to stray onto thailand and it is the khmer police who have set up check points to prevent this.

i wonder what really happened - sounds more like a case of bad map reading only there aren't any good maps.

You gotta understand that many Thai's think this is the only country in the World and when the Thai army sees an 'Alien' on its territory it's gonna blast it. To them there are no borders so it's a Turkey shoot when someone who's not wearing a red or yellow shirt turns up.

Seriously; my wife told me that when she was ten (1973) she had never been taught that there were any other countries, so she and her mates just thought this Nationalistic heaven was all of the World. When she was twelve a Monk came to the school and showed the kids pictures of Europe and America and they were all amazed and ran home to tell their parents....who showed absolutely no interest whatsoever !

• Like 2