My greatest peeve....

Rotweiler

For years I have been mildly annoyed by something that seems to occur regularly in this forum. I am not certain exactly when it began, nor where it appeared from, but it is becoming most annoying.

Last week we were in Chiang Mai City (Promenada, to be exact - almost totally deserted...) doing some shopping. Stopped for lunch and in the restaurant, overheard two farang men talking about ".. maybe going to ...".

Do any of you actually realize how silly, pompous, retarded, dumb, affected, obnoxious [ sigh, run out of descriptions...] that actually sounds?

I ask that posters refrain from using that term, espercially those of us who actually live in Chiang Rai, Province or City. Perhaps mods could make that a strong suggestion [ as if strong suggestions ever worked on this forum....].

Oh... yes... I'm referring to the use of the words:

....the Rai

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly it is you who need education on the thai translation of Chiangrai and its origins. Chiang means city....Chiangrai means city in the fields. Just as Chiang Mai means new city.

Unless you are just refering to a small part of the built up area of Chiangrai it is completly correct to refer to it by its more local name.

...maybe going too... facepalm.gif ...facepalm.gif

Sorry, I give up.

I worked it out Dal, they hate the way Chiang Rai is referred to as The Rai.

It really peeves them off.

I imagine it just annoys the OP, doubt very much anyone else cares so there is no they or them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Possibly it is you who need education on the thai translation of Chiangrai and its origins. Chiang means city....Chiangrai means city in the fields. Just as Chiang Mai means new city.

Unless you are just refering to a small part of the built up area of Chiangrai it is completly correct to refer to it by its more local name.

But but, the op is a local to the Rai so everyone else should just shutup and listen.

[Me shrugs my shoulders - everyone to their own. ]

I first arrived in Chiangwat Chiang Rai/The Rai (pick one according to your taste) in 1989. The use of the abbreviated version of Chiang Rai is relatively recent. When I first saw "the rai" it came after a heated debate about spelling of the word "Chiang" (Chieng or Cheng to some, I must admit - even to the Government who have posted many signposts with alternative spellings). Guess it might come in handy at times for people with limited understanding of the language or just limited understanding.

But that discussion will have to wait. I'm off to The Mai to catch a plane to The Kok and then on to The Kong.

I really didn't know what the *#%) the OP was talking about, but it seems others have pieced it together to mean that the OP gets really annoyed with people calling Chiang Rai, "The Rai".

I really don't know whether I should envy the OP for having so few concerns in his life that something so amazingly minor with absolutely no effect on his life could move him to start a topic here or to pity him (for having so few concerns in his life that something so amazingly minor with absolutely no effect on his life could move him to start a topic here).

Along with being helpful, this forum is priceless. Perhaps when I am here longer I will understand these posts more, but for the time being I will only be amazed.

Either that or the Op is a wind up merchant :)