spectacles, the best price

infinity11

A friend recently had two pairs of glasses made by Zenni - he's very happy with them.

He had a full eye exam done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, which included refraction and two lens prescriptions. One for Progressive Lenses and another for computer glasses. BPH did the complete measurement process to insure that the progressive lenses and glasses are properly made.

It seems that anyone wanting progressive lenses would be well advised to have the refraction process and additional measurements done by qualified professionals before ordering new glasses.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the glasses last week.

First, the frame was considerably larger than what was apparent from the test photo on the website. The glasses that looked perfect on the test photo made me look like an owl biggrin.png Since they know the PD (distance between the pupils) it should be possible to adjust the picture and the frame so the relative size become correct, but that doesn't happen. What I'd recommend doing is, check the width of the frames you like and physically check how wide that would be on your head.

Second, the reading area was way too low, it didn't kick in until I was looking a mm above the bottom of the frames.

Obviously it's a disappointment, and an annoyance having to send the frames back and wait for the replacement, but at least they are cool about exchanges. Now I am aware of the size issue I found a similar pair with a size that'll fit, and hopefully they'll be more careful about the reading area next time. Time will show. I'll keep y'all updated how it goes.

I was waiting for you to report your experience Phil , to make my decision about Zenni .

I decided to look at their site about 1 month ago after reading some posts regarding Zenni on this forum.

The problem started when I choose the Trivex lenses, as I had researched that Trivex is one of the most impact resistant and optical clear materials available and much cheaper than a high index lens.

My research also showed that Trivex is easy to tint, however the Zenni site showed that it could not be tinted, so I sent them an email to ask why they couldn't tint it. I'm still waiting for the response.

The following issue was when I wanted to check out with Paypal, and got the message that Paypal doesn't allow people from my country to ship to Thailand. Which is bs as I always ship to Thailand and my shipping address is registered with Paypal. So I went on the chat with them, and they said they had to contact head-office and reply by email, which they did after 2 days with the message that I should contact Paypal.

I went on a week long email cycle with Paypal, and they confirmed that it was not their issue, and they even didn't have a payment request in their records .

So I went back to online chat with Zenni to inform them about the Paypal answer, and again got the answer that they had to contact US head-office and would reply by email.

After 4 days still no answer so went back to chat at 1am Thai time, and they told me that I had to contact US head office by phone as they were not able to contact them at this time. You will know that 1am Thai time is day time in the US.

The same repeated 3 days later and again 3 days later, each time with the same response and that I should wait for the email from the US office. We are now 3 weeks and no email.

I had also noticed in a few feedbacks on their site, about a people who complained about the same issue as you report, that the reading part of the progressive lens is way too low. I didn't pay much attention to it at that time, but since you now also report this, I think I gonna give Zenni a miss and spend some more money on a a local optician.

I may decide to buy a frame only of them, since I need a 140 mm wide frame which is very difficult to find in Thailand and they are dead cheap at 29$ for a good looking frame, so maybe you want to post your opinion about the quality of the frame you received .

First, the frame was considerably larger than what was apparent from the test photo on the website. The glasses that looked perfect on the test photo made me look like an owl biggrin.png Since they know the PD (distance between the pupils) it should be possible to adjust the picture and the frame so the relative size become correct, but that doesn't happen. What I'd recommend doing is, check the width of the frames you like and physically check how wide that would be on your head.

Second, the reading area was way too low, it didn't kick in until I was looking a mm above the bottom of the frames.

These are two of the reasons why I only buy glasses from a shop with a competent optician on the premises who does all the eyetests, measurements and fitting. Even they can get things like the depth of field wrong sometimes, and I find it much easier just to say "that's not right" in the shop as soon as they put them on my nose.

I paid by Paypal and had no problems, so I don't know why you did. My Paypal address is registered in Thailand so it should be the same situation I suppose?

The frames looked very nice, but having said that, I noticed a few complaints on their feedback site that this particular frame was prone to break at the nose when people polish the glass. My second choice didn't have any complaints so let's hope they'll be ok.

I think you'll be very hard pressed to find a farang sized memory titanium frame with progressive bifocals, hard coated and clip-on sun shades for the ~1,800 baht all in I paid.

I paid by Paypal and had no problems, so I don't know why you did. My Paypal address is registered in Thailand so it should be the same situation I suppose?

The frames looked very nice, but having said that, I noticed a few complaints on their feedback site that this particular frame was prone to break at the nose when people polish the glass. My second choice didn't have any complaints so let's hope they'll be ok.

I think you'll be very hard pressed to find a farang sized memory titanium frame with progressive bifocals, hard coated and clip-on sun shades for the ~1,800 baht all in I paid.

It is indeed strange, I tried umpteen times, and each time when I try to log into Paypal from the Zenni site, I get a new screen with that message. It is clearly a window from Zenni.

If I enter my European address as shipping address, I can log in with Paypal. Paypal suggested that while I review my order I can change the shipping address to a Gift address, but I don't get an option to edit the shipping address.

1800 is indeed cheap, mine should have been 91$ include shipping, and I thought that that was cheap .

• 1 month later...

Obviously it's a disappointment, and an annoyance having to send the frames back and wait for the replacement, but at least they are cool about exchanges. Now I am aware of the size issue I found a similar pair with a size that'll fit, and hopefully they'll be more careful about the reading area next time. Time will show. I'll keep y'all updated how it goes.

Any update on the replacement from Zenni Phil ?

For progressive lens (and simpler), expert advice, great selection of frames at fair prices by local standards, try this place:

thumbsup.gifhttp://www.pattayaoptical.com/thumbsup.gif

On Pattaya Klang.

Roughly across from Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Been there, got the t-shirt, wasn't my size.

OK. Different people have different experiences. Again, I suggest people check out this place when they are shopping around locally.

For progressive lens (and simpler), expert advice, great selection of frames at fair prices by local standards, try this place:

thumbsup.gifhttp://www.pattayaoptical.com/thumbsup.gif

On Pattaya Klang.

Roughly across from Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Been there, got the t-shirt, wasn't my size.

OK. Different people have different experiences. Again, I suggest people check out this place when they are shopping around locally.

I will clarify my earlier post. I used them twice many years ago. Guy was professional but high price, about 30% more than the competition.

I'm sorry. Did I miss something? Are talking about a LOCAL place that was 30 percent lower? For what exactly?

Since this thread is about spectacles, and Pattayaoptical sells spectacles, I would assume that my reference was for spectacles.

And yes I was talking about the price difference between PO and the abundance of competitors on Pattaya Klang.

OK, thanks.

For progressive lens I would still recommend checking that place out.

Obviously there are different quality levels for sale, so finding the "cheapest" often doesn't mean anything.

I use progressive lenses and Hoya High index 1.61 from PO is exactly the same lens as Hoya High index 1.61 from another shop .

As I said, the guy knows what he's talking about, but he also knows the price. And I have to add that he honors his guarantees, because one of both times I used him, he charged for anti-reflective coating but ordered the lenses without. I only found out a day later when I was at the airport on a flight home, and he replaced them when I came back .

So where is better EXACTLY locally? I'm still confused about what we are talking about here. Sorry.

Excuse me, but did you have 2 beers instead of 1 tonight ? biggrin.png Didn't I clearly said abundance of competitors on Pattaya Klang ? I even never used the word locally.

We're talking about the price of the lenses. A Hoya High index lens is the same lens all over Thailand. So if he charges a 30% excess for that lens compared to the cheapest of his competitors in the neighborhood, and still significantly more than the most expensive of his competitors, than I consider him overpriced.

Please post any and all info about the best opticians in pattaya.

Including: best prices, best services, best quality frames that wont break in a few months, best repairs, etc...

I was considering a bunch of cheapo glasses and now considering high quality memory frames, maybe even both and more, for back ups.

I have completely given up on the chains and unprofessional rinky dink mom and pop shops and am even willing to pay more for better quality.

I also have a number of frames that simply need a replacement temples which is way too much to ask all the shops i have been to.

Thanks JJ for your thread on repairs, any luck?

Anyone have luck with lazik or self eye repair via the bates method, etc...

Any update on the replacement from Zenni Phil ?

Still waiting for an update from Phil.

Well it's still ongoing. I returned the glasses and waited forever on their confirmation that they received it. They said to send it by standard mail, and then came back asking for a tracking number. I think if for any reason it hadn't arrived they would just say it was my fault, but in the end it arrived. They kept insisting the glasses were perfect and it was all my own fault, but they issued me a store credit for the amount. I haven't gotten around to order a new pair yet. I will, sometime when I have time. Not really recommendable unless you have plenty of time and are the patient type.

In the meantime I went back to the guy with the stall in Tukcom (ground floor, in the back). I've mentioned him before. An unusually friendly Thai guy. He made me a pair of reading glasses, memory-titanium frames and +1.75 acrylic glasses 1.61 index with AR coating, 1,200 baht all included. He even delivered them to my house when they were ready. Highly recommendable. (Yes, I know you can buy the pre-made reading glasses on all corners, but there is an abysmal quality difference).

Today I received a pair of Progressive Lens Glasses from Zenni Optical. I ordered on-line on March 3. I've had problems with Progressives in the past - both from Lens-Crafters in the States and one up-scale shop in Pattaya, so I ordered from Zenni with my fingers crossed. I ordered the best they had - cost was 65% of what I paid in Pattaya.

I'm pleased to report that the new glasses are Great! Exactly what I ordered and a pleasure to wear. Very light weight - almost like not wearing any glasses at all. I can even use them when working on a computer.

I had the prescription done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

One word of caution - The glasses came via FedEx from the States and Thai Customs charged 825 Baht Duty and VAT.

Today I received a pair of Progressive Lens Glasses from Zenni Optical. I ordered on-line on March 3. I've had problems with Progressives in the past - both from Lens-Crafters in the States and one up-scale shop in Pattaya, so I ordered from Zenni with my fingers crossed. I ordered the best they had - cost was 65% of what I paid in Pattaya.

I'm pleased to report that the new glasses are Great! Exactly what I ordered and a pleasure to wear. Very light weight - almost like not wearing any glasses at all. I can even use them when working on a computer.

I had the prescription done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

One word of caution - The glasses came via FedEx from the States and Thai Customs charged 825 Baht Duty and VAT.

I can even use them when working on a computer.

Why do you think that's exceptional ? I would think that is the purpose of progressive lenses . Bummer about the taxes, but we know those couriers are in bed with the customs.

"Why do you think that's exceptional ?"

Not true - The "distance" portion of the lenses is for a MUCH longer distance than what I need for my 32-inch LED Monitor. I was surprised when they worked well with the PC screen. I also ordered a pair of "computer glasses", but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Well it's still ongoing. I returned the glasses and waited forever on their confirmation that they received it. They said to send it by standard mail, and then came back asking for a tracking number. I think if for any reason it hadn't arrived they would just say it was my fault, but in the end it arrived. They kept insisting the glasses were perfect and it was all my own fault, but they issued me a store credit for the amount. I haven't gotten around to order a new pair yet. I will, sometime when I have time. Not really recommendable unless you have plenty of time and are the patient type.

In the meantime I went back to the guy with the stall in Tukcom (ground floor, in the back). I've mentioned him before. An unusually friendly Thai guy. He made me a pair of reading glasses, memory-titanium frames and +1.75 acrylic glasses 1.61 index with AR coating, 1,200 baht all included. He even delivered them to my house when they were ready. Highly recommendable. (Yes, I know you can buy the pre-made reading glasses on all corners, but there is an abysmal quality difference).

Too good to be true?

The price alone for memory frames?

Can anyone ELSE confirm the services at this shop before i take a trip there?

Think what you like, I'm just passing on a tip few people are aware about.

Actually, about Zenni, I just realized that while they did finally issue a store credit for the faulty glasses, there are no credit for the shipment, $10 every time they make a mistake + of of course my cost of sending them back, which was about the same. $20 on a cost of $50 is quite a considerable loss percentage imo.