Length of contracts at International Schools

AJ Alex

Hi

I was wondering if any veteran international school teachers could advise me on the type of contracts they have been offered once the first initial one year contract has been completed.

Do all schools operate on a one year contract with the option of renewing. Or do some schools offer 3 or 5 year contracts once the first or second year has been completed.

This my seem like a trivial question but it would help me a lot if someone could share their experiences surrounding this matter.

Many thanks

Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Normally, international schools offer 2 year contracts which are either renewed for another 2 years during the 2nd term of the 2nd year or you are told your contract will not be renewed at the same point of the year (performance dependant). This is how the process works in the school I am working in and others where friends are working.

As of yet, I haven't heard of any contracts longer that this two year period. We have staff who have been there for 8/9/10 years and still have to repeat the process every two years.

Hope this helps

Normally, international schools offer 2 year contracts which are either renewed for another 2 years during the 2nd term of the 2nd year or you are told your contract will not be renewed at the same point of the year (performance dependant). This is how the process works in the school I am working in and others where friends are working. As of yet, I haven't heard of any contracts longer that this two year period. We have staff who have been there for 8/9/10 years and still have to repeat the process every two years. Hope this helps

Agreed.