Bangkok: Taxi driver beaten unconscious by anti-govt protesters

webfact

Something I wonder about as the country slowly descends into mob rule, will farangs become targets for their rage? I keep hearing that many Thais hate us and only put up with us because we spend money. I don't know how true this is or even what percentage hate us if it is true but something to think about perhaps.

Fairly weak attempt at trolling.

I hear many Thais love us. Especially 'long time'!

I asked a legitimate question because it is honestly something that is on my mind. Not trolling at all.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I wonder about as the country slowly descends into mob rule, will farangs become targets for their rage? I keep hearing that many Thais hate us and only put up with us because we spend money. I don't know how true this is or even what percentage hate us if it is true but something to think about perhaps.

I asked a legitimate question because it is honestly something that is on my mind. Not trolling at all.

'You keep hearing Thais hate us' but you have no first hand evidence of it, do you? Otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question.

Do you stay locked in your hotel room/condo everyday? Or do you get out amongst them?

I certainly do and have done for 11 years and I've never had an issue with a Thai because I'm western.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifxtaxi_jpg_pagespeed_ic_G5TZHiO4az.jpg

Wonder if TAT is going to use this photo in their new campaign "Amazing countdown in Thailand" ??

Am I the only one?? But seeing behavior like this makes me really angry!!sad.png

It is just an isolated incident. People don't get too carried away and act irrationally towards protesters on the street.

What?

Are you too trying to gain a cabinet post in the Nutocracy? Assuming that your TV postings will qualify you?

But taking your advice- we will allow for a certain amount of violence against the instituitions that we rely on for security.

I walked among the crowd at Metropolitan police headquarters a few weeks ago, I could hear people say "farang this & farang that..."

While I was not concerned as it felt like a harmless gathering, it was in stark contrast to what I experienced in the same location in 2010 when the UDD was there.

As a street photographer, I don't think I would venture anywhere near the "mad mob" at this point in time.

Indeed, one starts to dread what tomorrow may bring. The situation could change rapidly at this juncture and perhaps we should pay extra vigilance to the surrounding atmosphere when outside.

So I think you can put your mind at ease. An anti-Western pogrom is most, most, most unlikely. Unless against me by my wife, of course.

Uh huh.

Wait- you claim to an education- hasn't your education prepared you for the xenophobia that accompanies all fascist movements?

What Nutocracy that your PhD lilluminated did NOT include blaming the 'other'.?

Hopefully just a bit of interesting information... Of course feel free to ignore it.

Some 25 years ago I participated in an international history conference at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. I was an Dr in Asian Studies at the University of Aberdeen at the time.

One particularly interesting paper that was presented concerned Thai perceptions of foreigners. It was long and inevitably rather academic, but in the conclusion there was a table indicating Thai respondents rating of their likes and dislikes of foreign nationalities.

The long and the short of it was:

The two nationalities most disliked and mistrusted by the Thais were (1) The Burmese and (2) The Vietnamese, both scoring less than 10 percent approval ratings.

The two national groups (both being more than just representatives of a single nation) most favoured by the Thais were (1) Westerners and (2) Chinese. Both scored in the upper 90s.

Things may possibly have changed. I certainly hope the Burmese and Vietnamese rate much higher today - after all, after several generations in Thailand, Vietnamese refugee settlers have at last been given Thai nationality.

I guess it is also possible that Westerners and perhaps even Chinese are less popular or less trusted - but I rather doubt it. These are visceral responses rooted in the Thai education system and years of warfare.

So I think you can put your mind at ease. An anti-Western pogrom is most, most, most unlikely. Unless against me by my wife, of course.

A progrom, no. Increase in ant- western sentiment , yes ...and most particularly since the 'IMF' crisis. Most of the crime

opportunistic but IMO the sentiment runs quite deep ( maybe not as extreme as that reported yesterday from mr Pathumphong's page, but increasing nonetheless).

• Like 1

Things have clearly ratcheted up a notch today so you have to wonder what will be next. I'm not expecting any trouble where I live but I will be taking just that little bit more notice of my surroundings when I'm out and about.

• Like 1

I pray for a full and swift recovery for the poor gentleman, who was just trying to do his job. My prayers are also with his family at this difficult time.

The extent of the head injuries mark this as "attempted murder." The criminals who committed this horrific act should receive a prison sentence that gives them many, many, many years during which to find remorse, and live a life of sincere atonement for their shameful and barbaric actions.

Edited by Yunla

I walked among the crowd at Metropolitan police headquarters a few weeks ago, I could hear people say "farang this & farang that..."

While I was not concerned as it felt like a harmless gathering, it was in stark contrast to what I experienced in the same location in 2010 when the UDD was there.

As a street photographer, I don't think I would venture anywhere near the "mad mob" at this point in time.

somehow I seriously doubt this. bah.gif

Enough is Enough. Mob rule by any kind of protesters be it the PRDC, Yellow Shirts, Red Shirts, Multi-Coloured , etc should be stopped as its ruining the country and the economy. Strict laws needs to be introduced and enforced even extreme measures like instant life execution of any protesters by extra-judicial terms.

Differences and Grievances should be aired and resolved thru other civilised and educated means not unruly protestings though claiming to be peaceful , enough of traffic jams and inconveniences etc. everyone contributed to this mess in thailand and everyone have to blame themselves but also find a more peaceful approach, not protesting.

Some 25 years ago I participated in an international history conference at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. I was an Dr in Asian Studies at the University of Aberdeen at the time.

One particularly interesting paper that was presented concerned Thai perceptions of foreigners. It was long and inevitably rather academic, but in the conclusion there was a table indicating Thai respondents rating of their likes and dislikes of foreign nationalities.

The long and the short of it was:

The two nationalities most disliked and mistrusted by the Thais were (1) The Burmese and (2) The Vietnamese, both scoring less than 10 percent approval ratings.

The two national groups (both being more than just representatives of a single nation) most favoured by the Thais were (1) Westerners and (2) Chinese. Both scored in the upper 90s.

Things may possibly have changed. I certainly hope the Burmese and Vietnamese rate much higher today - after all, after several generations in Thailand, Vietnamese refugee settlers have at last been given Thai nationality.

I guess it is also possible that Westerners and perhaps even Chinese are less popular or less trusted - but I rather doubt it. These are visceral responses rooted in the Thai education system and years of warfare.

A progrom, no. Increase in ant- western sentiment , yes ...and most particularly since the 'IMF' crisis. Most of the crime

opportunistic but IMO the sentiment runs quite deep ( maybe not as extreme as that reported yesterday from mr Pathumphong's page, but increasing nonetheless).

Could well be... I'm certainly much less in touch than I was. Also, I live in a northern Red Shirt majority village, with a wife who admires Yingluck and hates Suthep....But for the record (Mr Blaze) I am certainly no monarchist or Yellow Shirt. I like to think of myself as Green. After all, that's the colour of a farang.

• Like 1

What always gets me about these rabid thugs is no matter who is in charge nothing much about their daily lives, what they earn etc will change. It is not like they are the 'elite' doing land deals and ripping the poor off. They are useful idiots to the elite.

Poor guy he was just trying to do his job. Why can't the military just step and tell the protesters to clear off?

It wouldn't surprise me if the brass are scared to act for fear that deployment might precipitate a split in the military itself. And of course if that happens, then all out civil war would be almost inevitable.

Enough is Enough. Mob rule by any kind of protesters be it the PRDC, Yellow Shirts, Red Shirts, Multi-Coloured , etc should be stopped as its ruining the country and the economy. Strict laws needs to be introduced and enforced even extreme measures like instant life execution of any protesters by extra-judicial terms.

Differences and Grievances should be aired and resolved thru other civilised and educated means not unruly protestings though claiming to be peaceful , enough of traffic jams and inconveniences etc. everyone contributed to this mess in thailand and everyone have to blame themselves but also find a more peaceful approach, not protesting.

I doubt if instant extra judicial executions (however attractive them may be to some here) would help at all!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

'You keep hearing Thais hate us' but you have no first hand evidence of it, do you? Otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question.

Do you stay locked in your hotel room/condo everyday? Or do you get out amongst them?

I certainly do and have done for 11 years and I've never had an issue with a Thai because I'm western.

There is no need to attack me. I asked a legitimate question. I got a couple of very good responses, and then yours, the typical angry ex-pat. It's posts like yours that remind me why I seldom post here.

Disgraceful attack on a man trying to earn a living but its a sign of the sheer contempt that the hi so protesters show for the rest of the Thai Population. The government must stand firm against this thuggery and intimidation.

How many shop and hotel workers lost their living because of the reds at Central?

Sheer contempt by the reds for their fellow working class gang.

Difference was, the reds were paid to be there and if they say Hi So, the media is immediately on their side.

Please tell me how thaksin, with his billions and overseas education, and yingluck, with her millions worth of watches, handbags, etc, Chalerm with his pink Bentley, and the rest of their gang, are not the Elite?

• Like 2