UK settlement visa - sponsor changed names

I will shortly be applying for a UK settlement visa for my wife. I have most of the paperwork prepared, but there's one potential problem. After getting married I changed my surname by deed pool and obtained a new passport. However, my wife still uses my previous surname, and all our marriage documents refer to my old name.

Will the UKBA simply require a certified copy of the deed pool, copies of my old and new passports, and an explanation in my sponsor's letter?

I'd appreciate any advice or info because I've tried contacting the UKBA without success.

There is no legal requirement in either the UK or Thailand for a woman to take her husband's name upon marriage. Also, as far as the UK is concerned, any person can use any name they wish; as long as they are not doing so for deception or any other illegal purpose.

However, in her application she will need to show that she is your wife; so include the deed poll showing that you are the same man as that named on her marriage certificate.

I'd also recommend an explanation in your sponsor's letter.

You should include copies of your previous passport(s) anyway to show when and how often you have visited her in Thailand or that you have been living with her in Thailand; whichever is the case. This is for evidence of your relationship.