Best area for golf holiday?

Timsaint

I am planning a 5 day golf holiday in Thailand in March -we are a group of 3 males, average golf ability. I would appreciate advice on the best area. We want to play during mid-week at 4 different courses that are within about 60 minutes drive from hotel. After reading through various topics on this forum I guess the options are; Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiangmai and Hua hin. We are looking to play at good quality courses without paying stupid prices. We are looking for scenic courses, not too challenging, good condition, great service and value for money. Suggestions please on where to be based. Outside of golf we would be just be looking for a fun area with good food; not interested in sleazville Pattaya (but maybe you could recommend a decent location nearby Pattaya?). Also, for this type of holiday, is it best to arrange the golf DIY or get an agency to arrange the whole thing - I would guess that a good agency could arrange package deals and would have a good handle of special deals.

Thanks in anticipation

For me the best options for package arrangements and course choices are either Pattaya with the most courses and Hua Hin which offers a reasonable number to cover your 4 days of play. Hua Hin is smaller and nicer in many respects than Pattaya but Pattaya does offer the greatest choice of accommodation, golf and après golf options. I have been to Phuket and avoid it now and golf there is expensive and not as plentiful. Bangkok is just too big and hard to get around. Both Pattaya and Hua Hin have courses easily reached in 30-40 minutes. Chaing Mai is also an option but you would need to fly there for a 5 day visit. PM me if you want some recommendations on golf tour operators to arrange a package rather than just doing it yourself. Tours are best if you are unfamiliar with the golf courses and overall arrangements.

I would agree either Pattaya or Hua Hin are the best choices for a golf holiday.

Check out the Lewiinski's website (link removed) they offer golf 6 days a week you can check out the website for the courses they play,,& book online .

I know they also do packages for groups & will book the courses & hotel if reqd.

I play wtth them regularly & Colin the golf manager does a great job .

You can store your clubs in the lockers located in the bar to save taking them to & fro with you.

Plus the food in the restaurant is very good,

Enjoy your holiday wherever you decide to go

Phuket is Expensive period to play golf...Hua Hin has nice courses but not many to choose from...Pattaya has 25 Golf courses within an Hours drive and easy to avoid the Lady Bars if you don't want ( Sleeze)....Chiang Mai has about 14 Courses but as a rule more expensive then Pattaya....Bangkok is much Like Phuket..Crowded and expensive....

Best Variety and prices is Pattaya....

March is still high season and prices are high.

No real use to you guys but it's worth knowing that Chiang Mai has a golf festival every May- June where it is around THB1000 + caddy fee,for the very best 18 hole courses,a real bargain as most of them are currently THB2500 + + upwards.

If I could make one recommendation, I would play the same course all four days. Playing a different course each day leaves you guessing at each pin, each tee shot, etc..

If your gang are looking to use your johnsons, go to Pattaya.

If you want a relaxing get away, try Chiangmai. Go to Highlands all 4 days. **I can't really comment on the golf in Hua Hin, or Pattaya, but I can't imagine people being disappointed with Highlands or Alpine up here in Chiang Mai.

If you're after the golf - go to Pattaya. Hua Hin would do as a long weekend trip for an expat in Bangkok trying to get away from the missus, but other than golf the place is....daft. I used to live in Hua Hin so I know what I'm talking about.

Go to Pattaya, stay away from Walking Street, and you'll have food, golf, fun and awesome hotels pretty much everywhere. A couple of my favourite golf courses within 45 mins make this an easy choice if I was making this trip with friends. I have made this trip a number of times myself, golf being the main reason, you really can't beat this. Play golf, get massages, spend a good time with your friends, I would even try night golf ... just stay away from sleazy Walking Street and you'll be fine!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My two cents:

Look into the Lam Lukka Golf Course and the area around it. Excellent course with 36 holes, fast greens and a good value. It's easily accessible from either airport, and there are other courses nearby.

I don't know about hotels immediately nearby, however. As for food, it's Thailand, so food is great everywhere.

I enjoy also staying at Bangpra, north of Pattaya. They discount for those staying in their hotel, which is clean and well run. Near the seafood restaurants of Bang Saen, which is a fun scene.

• 9 months later...

There are many bars in Pattaya that organize golf some provide transport one of the best ones is Lewiinski's located just off Beach Road in Soi 13/3

thy provide transport hire clubs or you can leave your clubs in a locker for 20 Baht a day they have a good website.

Enjoy your holiday.

• 2 weeks later...