Entering Thailand without an onward ticket..

Shoeboat

I return to Thailand tonight (from China) but am waiting on confirmation on a trip to Korea in about 3 weeks so don't yet have a ticket.

Is this going to be an issue at immigration? I am sure I have entered Thailand before from Europe and the US without an onward ticket, and even after a Cambodia visa run during an extended stay (I'm on a tourist visa between jobs but still based in Bkk) but I was warned by a friend to get a printed onward journey booking, even if I don't have a set date.

Am I being overly cautious?

Immigration rarely checks, they leave it up to the airline to check. So you may have problems boarding the airplane, depending on the airline.

Some are very strict, others don't check at all.

With a visa from a Thai consulate no onward ticket is required.

• Like 2

Never had a problem in 30 years about not having an onward ticket. I have made over 200 trips to Thailand. In the early days I often bought bucket shop tickets which were very cheap but necessitated picking up an onward ticket in Bangkok. I recall only being asked about my onward ticket on a handful of occasions, and my explanation was accepted.

• Like 1

If you have a tourist visa no worries, if you are counting your visa on arrival as your tourist

visa then you are rolling the dice. I have been stopped 4-5 times over the years.

Always by the airlines. Never had a problem as I was always able to show the onward

ticket or the consulate issued visa in my passport.

• Like 1

It mainly depends on the airline Thai out of Sydney are very strict basically the Thai Authorities do'nt worry but if you have'nt an ongoing ticket and on arriveal in Thailand you're refused entry the Airline is responsible for your repatriation - if you have a 2 month or more Tourist Visa there's no need for an ongoing ticket!!

Take an old airline pdf itinerary and put a new date on it. Print it out. Sounds illegal, huh? Just do it with a different airline than you flew in on. Make reservations for that date anyways...put don't pay yet. I also show my Thai Driver's license (5 year) as proof of living here. Better to have something...than nothing at all.

• Like 2

Here is what air asia says on their website...

"The general rule for international travel is that you must ensure your passport is still valid for at least another six (6) months at the end of your travel date, the applicable visa(s), and a return or an onward journey ticket. The system can't block you from purchasing the ticket as it won't be able to track the requirements you need to travel."

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do;jsessionid=CE427A26267F18E600A9A9B97CB15B55.tomcat4?id=147&name=What+travel+documents+do+I+need%3f+Do+I+need+a+Visa%3f

It does say "General Rule" which implies flexibility.

Notice it does say applicable visa AND a return or an onward ticket

Not my opinion...it is their written policy.... check the link.

I am 72 percent sure they don't always ask for the onward. especially if you have a round trip ticket.

I have been asked before, on a few occasions

I was planning on entering Thailand on the 30 day no visa with an onward ticket to Laos to get a dual entry visa for Thailand. Will this work? Will a train ticket to Laos also work as an onward ticket?

The basic rule (IATA via timatic) reads the traveler must meet all the requirements of travel otherwise the airline is subject to fines and the removal of said passenger at the airlines expense.

If the airline you have booked is satisfied you meet the entry requirements for Thailand then no problem. If by onward train ticket, if it is a pre printed fully paid for ticket which clearly shows final destination as Laos (not Nong Khai) then possibly, the answer would be yes. This is for persons arriving on the 30 day tourist visa exemption rule. So just get a tourist visa and you will have no worries.

Never had a problem in 30 years about not having an onward ticket. I have made over 200 trips to Thailand. In the early days I often bought bucket shop tickets which were very cheap but necessitated picking up an onward ticket in Bangkok. I recall only being asked about my onward ticket on a handful of occasions, and my explanation was accepted.

Just curious as to which airline has allowed you to make over 200 one way trips into Thailand without a tourist visa? Just curious, truly as I do quite a bit of travel and have previously been asked by the airline (eva, aa) for proof of onward ticket.

I do not know!! I made the reservation online through Kayak, airlines China Southern to Bankok. I am in Florida with the nearest embassy 5 hrs away ( Miami) & didn't want to wast the money to drive there or send off my passport with additional money. If I can come with no visa (if they still have it) & go to Laos for a dual entry visa I want to do that ( if possible ).

Since I buy my tickets ex-Thailand, I am always checking in at the UK end, to arrive in Bangkok without an onward or return flight.

My passport gets checked that I do have the correct stamps, in my case a retirement extension, they don;t know what they are looking at, but look anyway and I just tell them I live in Thailand.

So for checking in, depends on the carrier, at BKK immigration, unlikely to be a problem, but you just never know.

Someone suggested a consulate issued visa, but doesn't a tourist visa have the same requirements? ie an outward booking?

I was asked to show an onward ticket by Thai before boarding when I flew into Bangkok from Singapore a couple of weeks ago. No interest at immigration as others have said.

Thai Air in Vietnam also asked me about an onward ticket. I was able to show them my visa which solved the problem. Air Malaysia in Brisbane have also asked me about my visa along with KLM in Edinburgh.

Strangely, Lufthansa didn't ask me about a visa in Edinburgh earlier this year though I was using the return portion of a return ticket.

As far as I can recall, Air Asia have only asked me once about a visa.

Alan

I do not know!! I made the reservation online through Kayak, airlines China Southern to Bankok. I am in Florida with the nearest embassy 5 hrs away ( Miami) & didn't want to wast the money to drive there or send off my passport with additional money. If I can come with no visa (if they still have it) & go to Laos for a dual entry visa I want to do that ( if possible ).

Why not get the number for China Southern Airlines and call and ask them direct about their policy rather than wait until you are not allowed to board the flight. Then you will know if it's worth sending your passport to Miami. Here's the website and phone number: http://airlinecontact.info/airline.html?name=china_southern

Edited by wayned

I always fly from Europe either Heathrow with EVA or Thai or Amsterdam with China Airlines on a one way ticket,I've done this three times this year hassle free.

If in the unlikely event I got refused I would simply purchase a ticket in minutes on my iPad and produce it to the check in staff.

It's possible to buy a cheap ticket with Air Asia or any of the other low cost carriers with in the region.

On the one occasion I was told I couldn't fly to Bangkok on a one way ticket I was in Australia travelling with Singapore Airlines and the ticket was purchased by my company,I simply told them I would show proof of onward travel which I did by purchasing a one way ticket to Kuala Lumpur for £ 60,I was allowed to travel and never did use the ticket.

There's a short blog here about one guy's troubles,

http://justchuckinit.com/i-just-got-to-thailand-and-im-already-leaving-because-i-was-forced-to/

"t was just a few weeks prior that I was raving about the freedom felt by escaping the United States. I was to spend a year at least using Thailand as a base to teach English and devise a way to sustain long term vagabonding.

So why am I 30,000 feet in the air over puffy white clouds on a flight to Indonesia?

I was forced out of Thailand, that’s why...."

Thank you for all your info but 1 question remains "can I fly in without a visa ( with a plane ticket to Laos or Cambodia in hand) then get a dual entry visa for Thailand in a nearby country before my 30 days is up. I can buy a ticket to Vientiane Laos for a little over $100 from here in the US

Thank you for all your info but 1 question remains "can I fly in without a visa ( with a plane ticket to Laos or Cambodia in hand) then get a dual entry visa for Thailand in a nearby country before my 30 days is up. I can buy a ticket to Vientiane Laos for a little over $100 from here in the US

Yes you won't be refused if you can show adequate proof of an onward journey within the 30 day period.

Buy the ticket to Laos and obtain a tourist visa at the embassy,killing two birds with one stone.