Why thai canned fish tastes soo bad?

SOMeTOM

I tried almost all varieties, only a few are on the verge of been edible and even the most expansive little can of salmon, which cost more or less as a full working day of a local, tastes absolutely rubbish!

These food back in EU would probably be classed as not for human consumption, or anyway not be on the market long as i can't imagine whom would buy them again after the first try.

Are they using low quality fishes? Is the fish deteriorating or getting wasted at some point? I mean, how can it be such a huge difference between canned fish available in EU and Thailand, it's really like stars and stalls, yuukk!

I am not going to comment on the english words you can find on these gourmets, as "supreme"...yes supreme shiete!

You get what you pay for. Brains Guts & Gills are in the cheapest tins. In the UK we'd call them "whiskas" & display them in the petfood section.

If you're looking for sardines try the yellow & red cans as they have the quality you're looking for.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

The point about tinned goods is that they travel well. Tinning, first established to allow British soldiers to drink Scottish beer in India, allows us to enjoy John West Sardines anywhere in the world. Would you buy a Thai brand in Sainsbury's? So why would you buy Thai tinned fish here?

SC

• Like 1

You get what you pay for.

Not in this case, i totally disagree.

The canned fish back home it cost less and it tastes so good it make you feels you want to eat more and more.

Try the ones here, as soon as you taste it, the feeling you get is that you just want to spit it out immediately....and it costs more.

At first i thought that fishes here, with all these beautiful seas around, must be even better, then i got the surprise.....

How do they manage to do that? It depends from the magic supreme better touch they seems to have on almost everything or is really about the fish itself?

Might remain a mystery

So why would you buy Thai tinned fish here?

I like to give a chance on almost everything, that's how i discovered i do enjoy foods that before i didn't even know it could exist.

As i mentioned before, the EU canned fish it's really good and you can feel the quality of it.

Thai canned fish, just forget it, it's like buying a Fortuner made of cardboards and cling film for an even higher price of the original, a very bad attempt at copying to not say worse...

tops has a good home brand tinned saba. try the green peppers one for starters.

one or two other brand tinned saba are ok too.

"select" and "nautilus" tinned tuna in brine is ok to but you do occasionally get one that is not so good. you have to leave them air for a few minutes after lifting the contents up out of the juices.

other thai/malaysian stuff is too variable, you can get good fish in the tin but you can also get rubbish fish. when its saba it good most other stuff isnt good as it doesnt tin well, ive stopped playing russian roulette with those.

malaysian ayam brand tuna is ok too but more expensive here.

you occasionally get larger tins of mackel with made in Chile marked on the tin but under different brands. this is ok too.

Edited by khwaam sook

The point about tinned goods is that they travel well. Tinning, first established to allow British soldiers to drink Scottish beer in India, allows us to enjoy John West Sardines anywhere in the world. Would you buy a Thai brand in Sainsbury's? So why would you buy Thai tinned fish here?

SC

When you ask whether you would buy a Thai brand in Sainsbury's, I assume that you are talking about John West, which is a brand owned by the Thai Union Group.

SC

When you ask whether you would buy a Thai brand in Sainsbury's, I assume that you are talking about John West, which is a brand owned by the Thai Union Group.

Exactly. Even Thai Union wouldn't buy a Thai brand.

• Like 1

Try Sealect MASMAN TUNA,Canned in Songkla.Its great.And tin says its dolphin safe ?

Yes that's one of the few which goes along well with my personal taste, however, that spicy sauce sometime it's just too much.

That strong Masaman sauce works well in taking away that horrible taste.

Tinned fish.

Why would you buy it?

Unless you had a cat,or wanted to poison one.

Believe me, i perfectly understand you, but there are canned tunas that will make you change mind for sure.

Many people are already aware of the difference between our western beef steaks and the local thai beef, for the tunas it's almost the same if not worse.

In fact, next time i will head up for Pattaya or Bangkok, i am going to stock up on "Rio Mare" and "Palmera" tunas, you just have to try one of this once in your life and you will get addicted from how good they taste, you can truly taste the Quality there, with a capital "Q".

For the deluded puritans here (you're the same guys scoffing fried rubbish on the street every night, right!), nowt wrong with canned tuna anywhere in the world. Nautilus is prob' best here. I'd posit reason local ones are dire is they put a lot less MSG/preservatives in there. tongue.png

You get what you pay for. Brains Guts & Gills are in the cheapest tins. In the UK we'd call them "whiskas" & display them in the petfood section.

If you're looking for sardines try the yellow & red cans as they have the quality you're looking for.

HTH

Sent from my HTC One mini using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apologies, maybe I misinterpreted you post, and maybe you have been eating surstromming. It is, certainly, an "expansive" can. In which case, you're right; It does taste like <deleted>!

20080618-roda-ulven-surstromming.jpg

compared to Surströmming shit smells like an expensive perfume.

• Like 1

I've never seen a local eat tinned fish unless it is swimming in mayo, covered in melted cheese and chili flakes, or both. Might explain why.

Most of the fish is farmed in fresh water heavily polluted. Google it if you don,t believe me oh on second thoughts don't if you want to continue eating Asian farmed fish!

Yes, very very expansive! Thanks for the good humour and Happy New Year!

Apologies, maybe I misinterpreted you post, and maybe you have been eating surstromming. It is, certainly, an "expansive" can. In which case, you're right; It does taste like <deleted>!

20080618-roda-ulven-surstromming.jpg