Undercharging

Gnasher328

Funny..., happens to me more often than I can now recall. Like you, I've usually made an effort to point out the error made in my favor. Like you, I've had some look at me incredulously as I show them the error. On one occasion and after 3-4 minutes trying to explain, I gave up and left a richer man!

Those who understood I was only trying to help them have always acknowledged it with smiles and pats on the back as I made my exit.

• Like 1

As all this was going on the restaurant owner was quietly watching.

The cashier was let go that night for not being able to add up.

I never make a point when my bill is wrong after seeing a restaurant owner scream at a staff member after I made a point they had left one drink off my bill.

• Like 2

Yes, it does happen. We've been having some considerable building works at our place and I generally seem to be quoted the 'special farang price' and after some negotiation end up with a 'smaller' inflated price. One guy did a job and I reckon I was pretty much scalped but he is doing another job for us now after quoting a reasonable price but ended up grossly underestimating the labour. He's pretty miffed but hurdy-gurdys and round abouts. We might have been more understanding if the first job wasn't so inflated. We just have to keep a close eye on the rest of the work now.

• Like 1

I don't see how paying 110 baht for a 30 baht meal and a 20-40 baht beer is undercharging, but please come to my resturaunt anytime.

I do like the balance of threads though. There is another thread talking about price gouging and one where people are given deals.

I have had both experiences. I usually stay within my comfort zone and familiar areas and therefore often get free/discounts. My daughter who is 4 often gets lots of free stuff from vendors. She is so polite and proper and they love the fact that she looks like me but speaks Thai so properly and formally.

• Like 1

Yes, it does happen. We've been having some considerable building works at our place and I generally seem to be quoted the 'special farang price' and after some negotiation end up with a 'smaller' inflated price. One guy did a job and I reckon I was pretty much scalped but he is doing another job for us now after quoting a reasonable price but ended up grossly underestimating the labour. He's pretty miffed but hurdy-gurdys and round abouts. We might have been more understanding if the first job wasn't so inflated. We just have to keep a close eye on the rest of the work now.

Good luck with that. Keep us updated.

Edited by somchaismith

I had a deep water well drilled recently.......2 local Thais had the same recently.....they have asked me how much I paid ??? both the Thais paid more than me.....also bought paint last month, girl in the village liked our paint colour , we told her where we bought it and how much it was....she went to the same shop bought the same colour paint...they wanted to charge her 100 bht extra than I paid.....she said in know falang who paid 100 bht less .....and they dropped the price to the same as I paid...........doesn't matter if you are Thai or Falang.....they will try to flees you..........Thai bashers take note....Thais will try to charge more to who ever......

If I'm under-charged I always make it right. Anyway, the Thai family restaurant that I usually eat at has dual prices: one for the English menu and a lower one for the Thai menu. Being a regular who can actually read the Thai menu, I get the Thai price. I do appreciate that!

A mechanic in Songkhla did some minor repairs to my bicycle for free.

In Chiang Mai, our mechanic who was overhauling our car gave my wife and I a ride to Lamphun two times while the car was in the shop. Heck of a nice guy.

I had a deep water well drilled recently.......2 local Thais had the same recently.....they have asked me how much I paid ??? both the Thais paid more than me.....also bought paint last month, girl in the village liked our paint colour , we told her where we bought it and how much it was....she went to the same shop bought the same colour paint...they wanted to charge her 100 bht extra than I paid.....she said in know falang who paid 100 bht less .....and they dropped the price to the same as I paid...........doesn't matter if you are Thai or Falang.....they will try to flees you..........Thai bashers take note....Thais will try to charge more to who ever......

Slightly off topic, but how deep did they drill and what was the approximate cost. I'm giving it some thought.

I never make a point when my bill is wrong after seeing a restaurant owner scream at a staff member after I made a point they had left one drink off my bill.

If a cashier can't add, or at least operate the machine that adds for them, they should be let go.

That said, if the error was on the bill, the cashier had nothing to do with it.

If a cashier can't add, or at least operate the machine that adds for them, they should be let go.

Mistakes can happen. That is what happens when tight fisted employers looking to save money recruit from the the least educated people.

You get what you pay for.

Mistakes can happen. That is what happens when tight fisted employers looking to save money recruit from the the least educated people.

You get what you pay for.

So it is your position that cashiers need higher education?

Though I applaud your altruism,

I would be a little leary of pointing out in public that someone couldn't add,

They may be greatful or they may feel a loss of face, looking stupid, etc,

I'd would just include in the tip the difference so they're made whole.

On the other side of the coin, I don't know why we only have to keep an eye on the Thai cafes and restaurants, have you ever noticed that even if you buy Thai food in a Farang type restaurant, (ie. 'the George', owned by a farang by Thai wife) it's a lot more than in a Thai one. Same food, but pricier....did i think that aloud?

• Like 1

Indeed. Being undercharged is much less important than someone losing face. I also point out when undercharged, but be mindful how you do it no matter how right it may seem.