We are still here

swissie

I've done plenty of business with PTT over the years and actually worked for one of these major agribusiness companies for 10 years.

All money flows to bangkok and the provinces get screwed. That's the way it has always been.

I didn't ask for a summary of your resume, I suggested you go look at who owns these businesses and what influence that might be playing on PTP policies.
The theory that in some way thaksin is exercising some nefarious influence through nominees is stretch.

PTT is still majority owned by the government. If he cared about ptt losing money why does the govt force it to import and sell LPG at below cost?

My point was for example, if a sugar company or an electronics firm or any large company operates in the provinces, where does it pay its taxes if it has a head administration office in bangkok?

Edited by Thai at Heart

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no "thai thinking".

There is a Thai way of life, there is Thai behaviour, which is mainly based on impulses. For important decisions, they ask advice from monks/fortune tellers. Thinking is not part of Thai behaviour or decision making. Thinking is not part of their daily routine.

Once you realise that, their actions make much more sense.

There is a Thai way of life, there is Thai behaviour, which is mainly based on impulses. For important decisions, they ask advice from monks/fortune tellers. Thinking is not part of Thai behaviour or decision making. Thinking is not part of their daily routine.

Nonsense. http://www.forbes.com/global/2006/0724/045.html

What is obvious is there a lot of nutty Farangs who know nothing about Thailand posting here.

Back home, people in the big cities sometimes do not even know their neighbors.

In some older parts of towns abroad, places are turning in to lawless ghettoes.

I live in the sticks in Thailand and indeed, there are sometimes worlds of difference between the "Thai" thinking and my "western" thinking.

But I have found that some of the Thai thinking is not that bad and by opening up to this new culture I can even learn a lot.

About Thai culture and thinking of course, but also about myself and the flaws in our western way of thinking.

I actually like "living in the sticks in Thailand" a lot.

Maybe if you would open up to other ways of living and thinking a bit and not treat your way of thinking as superior, you might even learn something.

No he isn't. He likes talking down to others to massage his ego.

I've taken a real dislike to the guy having read his posts recently.

EDIT: Actually who cares, it's just some faceless bloke on the internet. Why am I even bothered and writing this stuff?

He'll be back, he's got the makings of a good grudge coming on - Why miss the chance of having a purpose in life.

Nonsense. http://www.forbes.com/global/2006/0724/045.html

What is obvious is there a lot of nutty Farangs who know nothing about Thailand posting here.

I do not think these guys have gone nuts. It is just that they could have been in a relationship with the wrong kind of girl and been badly shafted. Could happen to anybody.

I'm sorry this could have become a more rewarding and helpful thread if the main theme "two different mind sets and the A,B and C's of why a farang would live in Thailand" would stay in range of our focus.

At least it would be helpful to me as I am engaged in some very difficult situation myself.

I have no time now to expound on my own stuff at the moment, but the sensitivity of the original post possesses the opening for much better and fruitful discourse.

Maybe some more experience's that would be profitable to share.

I have to give praise that at least 80% of this thread I found captivating but stupidity has hammered it to pieces.

I suppose this was some's intention to begin with, but it would be better if you was not part of it perhaps.

You could start your own thread where maybe another would like to read about politics and slam each other. There are plenty like you out there.

I still hope that in a few days I will have an opportunity to participate here again, Our experiences and situations may be a little different but the parallel's within the context of the OP hold still an opportunity for growth and learning. Something always greatly needed.

Thanks.

Swissie,

I like you thread. Would be informative if you would take a number of points or areas that are so very different and describe them the way you see them. I like to read what you have to say.......

I have l have lived, taught, in Bangkok for many years and found a few very significant differences. One of these is never to ask questions of people

who are "superior", such as parents, teachers, bosses.

I would like to read what you have to say, Swissie,

Ciao, Holymoly

Buying houses in Thailand,bahahahaaaaaa. Still happening,omg.

You need to, to house children if you have them.

Otherwise if you're just a (long term) tourist then I agree, only rent.

This wasn't a house in any case.

Please give me one reason anyone has to buy a house.

Cause his missus will probably leave him if did not.

The usual reason.

That is a reason NOT to buy a house.

Swissie,

I like you thread. Would be informative if you would take a number of points or areas that are so very different and describe them the way you see them. I like to read what you have to say.......

I have l have lived, taught, in Bangkok for many years and found a few very significant differences. One of these is never to ask questions of people

who are "superior", such as parents, teachers, bosses.

I would like to read what you have to say, Swissie,

Ciao, Holymoly

Not much to add, you know the basics already. "Family" is superior and everything else is secondary. In rural-thailand it's the name of the game.

So, living 500 Km,s away from "Family" with Thai-Wife will improve chances of "success" of marriage 10 fold.

As far as Superiors, Teachers, Bosses is concerned: Forget them, they know less about the workings of the word outside of Thailand than you and I (with or without fake university degrees).

Cheers.

After the day I've had Swissie, the day I've just had . . . the revelations of family relations! Of the economics of ignorance. Of the best made plans . . .

Finally! A certain someone "gets it".

It's been a long and rocky road this one. Over ten years of this terrain. Unfortunately the twists and turns have only brought us to the cliff edge.

But wait! Oh no! It's all too late. The goose has been cooked long ago and with his last few joules of energy, poor old goose must soon fly, fly away!

I'm I on drugs?

Well f£$k me, I should be!

These people are utterly clueless. Doesn't matter which way you cut it, you simply cannot educate pork.

Albert Einstein of all people once said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Now, clearly I'm no Albert Einstein. Hell, I'm not even the sharpest tool in the TVF box and that's saying something! But a man has to know his limitations. So it is with a heavy heart that I must now log on to Lastminutedotcom and make the necessary arrangements.

clint_dirty_harry_blog2.jpg

Remember. A man has to know his limitations.

What happened ?

SIL blew the kids college fund.

Not the local technical college either. Think Oxford all the way up to Masters.

I don't get it. You think that kind of thing never happens in whatever country you're from? I've been living here for thirty years now, mostly in the sticks, and when in Bangkok in a neighborhood where no other farangs lived, and I've reached the point where I don't see any basic difference between Thai and farang people. Well, details, yeah. Most Thais follow Buddhism, which isn't like Christianity -- and the Buddhism they follow isn't like what the books you're likely to read tell you, either. They may give a higher priority to some goals than farangs would. So? A couple years ago my wife blew a bundle on the stock market. Not the level you're talking about but a big bite out of my income. So? People in America haven't lost their retirement funds from their 401(k)'s?

But the thing about your rant that really annoys me is, "These people are utterly clueless. Doesn't matter which way you cut it, you simply cannot educate pork." I don't know what triggered that, because it doesn't follow logically from the event you mention, but I can't help asking, "Did you try explaining it in Thai?" Many years ago on a message board devoted to "night life" a guy complained, "Why is it you can't have a serious conversation with a Thai woman?" I wanted to ask, "Are you conversing in Thai?" Because if you aren't speaking Thai every day it's no wonder that you don't understand the reasons they find good for doing things the way they do. I grant you that learning Thai is not easy. It works best if you have a Thai partner, girlfriend of wife, who is willing to talk to you, and in Thai. I've had to learn several languages and I believe you can only learn a language if you use it.

Well, I'm sorry for the disaster that happened to you. I hope you're able to make at least a partial recovery. But at least I presume you don't have cancer.

• Like 1

Have had the opportunity to live in quite a few countries (which i consider to be 4 + years at one time), and can honestly say there is not much difference in any of them. Once you start living in a place it becomes just another home. I can not think of one specific difference Thailand has over say Mexico, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Portugal, Spain or the US.

Thais are Thai, Mexicans are Mexican, Americans are American.

Thais - work to feed their families, want a roof over their head, get an education, take their kids to the Dr. when sick, go to the market to buy food, pay their bills like TOT, Truevision etc, watch tv. like sports.......not much different then your average Joe!

I must say, I really enjoy living in Florida. I love the way I feel when I am in Asia (younger and desirable), however, I feel like a foreigner - because I am, and always will be. Even if I married a local and settled down and supported her kids and family. I am still a "water buffalo" - only valued for my financial contribution. Here in Florida, I am surrounded by people who look and sound like me - even if we don't think the same way. The sunshine and warmth are ever present. We don't get flooded or lose power very often. And it's not very expensive. I can get the kind of food I want. My neighborhood is safe and clean. If I had a group of buddies I might consider moving to SE Asia or South America. But being alone, I feel much more secure in America - my comfort zone.