We are still here

swissie

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where this idea that Rural Thailand and Urban Thailand are two different countries comes from.

Watched any news in the past couple of weeks?

Never heard about the color divide?

North vs. south/central?

Ever been out of your neighborhood?

This is not one country.

To the topic starter, mine ist A, B, C

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Only by living in the sticks, a Farang can truly experience the difference between "Western- Thinking" and "Thai-Thinking". Worlds apart, almost frightening. As far as "Values in Life" is concerned, I have not been able to isolate one single common denominator. Not one !

So why are Farangs staying in a country that basically does not fit their "frame of mind" in the first place ? 3 reasons come to mind:

a) "Wifey" is Thai-National. No further comment.

B) After a stressful live in Europe (work work work), the "mai pen rai" attitude here may have a welcome soothing and calming effect on a Farangs soul.

c) MOST IMPORTANTLY I BELIEVE, is probably the fact that with limited funds, a Farang can (still) enjoy a fairly comfortable life in Thailand, as opposed to a life in his home country.

Based on "c", I can understand Farangs, claiming to "love Thailand". Otherwise..............?

Cheers.

Im probably more on the B bit there are many other things but i understand what your getting at and i would say these are the three most common.

One of my friends here has limited funds but just like me he can work from anywhere so he stays with us in our guest house saving up money and working on a startup business and here he lives ok on the same money for six months that he would spe d in 1-2 months back home. So it take pressure of his finances and the sun sure beats a cold dark rainy winter back home.

And the different way of thnking is not always a negative we can learn from it. But sure there are many things that aggravates the frack out of me sometimes to...

After the day I've had Swissie, the day I've just had . . . the revelations of family relations! Of the economics of ignorance. Of the best made plans . . .

Finally! A certain someone "gets it".

It's been a long and rocky road this one. Over ten years of this terrain. Unfortunately the twists and turns have only brought us to the cliff edge.

But wait! Oh no! It's all too late. The goose has been cooked long ago and with his last few joules of energy, poor old goose must soon fly, fly away!

I'm I on drugs?

Well f£$k me, I should be!

These people are utterly clueless. Doesn't matter which way you cut it, you simply cannot educate pork.

Albert Einstein of all people once said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Now, clearly I'm no Albert Einstein. Hell, I'm not even the sharpest tool in the TVF box and that's saying something! But a man has to know his limitations. So it is with a heavy heart that I must now log on to Lastminutedotcom and make the necessary arrangements.

clint_dirty_harry_blog2.jpg

Remember. A man has to know his limitations.

What happened ?

SIL blew the kids college fund.

Not the local technical college either. Think Oxford all the way up to Masters.

You cannot trust anyone but yourself. And that's even hard sometimes. I can understand your frustration and sadness.

I know a lot of westerners in Thailand who would question the assumption that "western thinking" is superior to anything much these days.

I'd guess that many of the westerners here who are most happy with their life in Thailand are probably not too interested in spending much time on TV.

• Like 2

I'm paranoid about houses,I awoke to find an African man in my bedroom,Was a shocking experience and I struggled to sleep for months afterwards.

On top of that,he is in my home and I get accused of excessive force,what would have happened if he came out on top,or if I was not home and my wife and children were alone.

Would be very unlikely to happen again to me,or never to you,but I'm comfortable in an apartment with an un breakable door.

When you wake up to someone staring at you,it does strange things to you,lol.

Australian laws suck,I won and he got a measly two month sentence,but the court case shit me,I left the witness stand in disgust after his lawyer drilled me at one stage.

Honestly a house would be nice but my wife's terrified now,in our current place she is totally at ease.

Good to see your children play the way kids should.

YOU got grilled, and he got 2 months? You worried about excessive force? Wow, do cultures differ and then some.

Where I live we have what's called a Castle Doctrine, taken from "a man's home is his castle." If I catch someone in my home just trying to get into my home without my permission, he's 6 feet under and I skate. I don't have to justify it, he doesn't have to be armed, and I'm immune from civil suit too.

Would you believe that no one's ever tried it? smile.png

Love that. "Wow, do cultures differ and then some."

So, so true.

If an intruder breaks into a British home, the homeowner will make the intruder tea and then they'll sit in the kitchen talking about how much the house has gone up in value since Auntie Peggy bought it in 1992.

• Like 2

I don't know where this idea that Rural Thailand and Urban Thailand are two different countries comes from.

Watched any news in the past couple of weeks?

Never heard about the color divide?

North vs. south/central?

Ever been out of your neighborhood?

This is not one country.

To the topic starter, mine ist A, B, C

I don't just watch the news, I speak to Thai people and listen to what they say.

Two days ago, sitting with half a dozen Thais in what is the Red Shirt heartland I listened as these supposed Red Shirts lambasted the government and the government's puppet master.

Born, bread and raised in 'Red Shirt' territory, they are not assigned to a color division of the nation by their geographic location - they have the tools to decide what they themselves think - an education.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that just because a corrupt government run by a convicted criminal is able to manipulate sections of the population with divisive vote buying polices that Thailand is two countries.

The puppet PM is today demonstrating exactly where she and her puppet master policies are directed by calling on and paying respects to the leader of the Privy Council - the head of that elite that this government claims is suppressing its Red Shirt voters, the figure head of an elite that the Red Shirts say they want to get rid of.

There are not two Thailands - there is one Thailand, urban or rural, educated or undedicated.

There is a divisive government lead by a puppet PM under the control of a convicted criminal puppet master who's single aim is to get his criminal conviction expunged and the money he stole from the nation returned to him.

He will do whatever he needs to do to achieve this including, as we see from the news, dividing the nation and setting Thai people at each other's throats.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 2

After the day I've had Swissie, the day I've just had . . . the revelations of family relations! Of the economics of ignorance. Of the best made plans . . .

It's been a long and rocky road this one. Over ten years of this terrain. Unfortunately the twists and turns have only brought us to the cliff edge.

But wait! Oh no! It's all too late. The goose has been cooked long ago and with his last few joules of energy, poor old goose must soon fly, fly away!

I'm I on drugs?

These people are utterly clueless. Doesn't matter which way you cut it, you simply cannot educate pork.

Albert Einstein of all people once said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Now, clearly I'm no Albert Einstein. Hell, I'm not even the sharpest tool in the TVF box and that's saying something! But a man has to know his limitations. So it is with a heavy heart that I must now log on to Lastminutedotcom and make the necessary arrangements.

What happened ?

Ouch! Feeling the pain yet have to ask..., how did that happen?? It is representative of the Thai way (many Thais) about money. As I often hear them say..., "Money is easy to come and easy to go". Sorry about your money event.

I'm I on drugs?

What happened ?

Ouch! Feeling the pain yet have to ask..., how did that happen?? It is representative of the Thai way (many Thais) about money. As I often hear them say..., "Money is easy to come and easy to go". Sorry about your money event.

It's representative of poor judgement, nose to the grindstone overworking with perhaps a little added stupidity on my part.

I don't wish to cast aspersions on an entire nation based on one of my many screw ups.

I will say that if we (foreign people) had a little more institutionalised control in this country it would be much easier for us to help these folks over the longer term.

Never gonna happen, Baby!

• Like 1

Have been here a few years and the Thai smile is wearing thin! I live in a small village in Issan and work in another country. LIfe here has been good whilst I have been here (6 months of the year).

But after a few years now I look back and really I should be in another country with my my Thai family. Being here is not educating the kids, in fact it is doing the opposite if that is possible.

With me I am becoming less intelligent as the days go by in the village and look forward to getting back to my work where I have to think!

I only stay here because of my wife's family, otherwise I would have moved years ago. 2014 will be time to move out and increase the intelligence level of the family.

• Like 1

SIL sold something.. A big something that was there for some one some when. Then spent it.

Nuff'?

How on earth did a lower-order in-law get access to the nest egg?

Got hold of a bit of paper and did it all in good faith. Can't be around all the time.

The old woman can't handle money since her BF goes through it all. I've spent years trying to keep it all together for the kids sake. Same 'ol, same 'ol. You've heard it all before.

Part of it bought the BF a truck which is now of course around a tree.

Had over a decade of these people and as much as I love the kids dearly it's time to move on. This really is beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Really sorry to hear of your woes MJP.

It is always easy for people to talk and comment on anothers problems, so I'll leave the comment as in my first line, except to say, whatever, wherever in the future, take care :)

Why TF after so many warnings do people trust big money to these Thais? Everything should remain in the home country in the man's name to be brought over on an as-needed basis.

Sure there are lots of good Thais and lots of good relationships, but the Marriage and Divorce forum here is enough to tell me that even 10 - 20 years of a "good" marriage and a "good" family isn't enough to assure there won't eventually be a big loss.

Sorry about your loss MJP. There are lots of guys who have gone before you, and they keep arriving.

Number 1 rule,cover your arse.Trust nobody with "your"money.This may cause a few arguements,so be it.

Have been here a few years and the Thai smile is wearing thin! I live in a small village in Issan and work in another country. LIfe here has been good whilst I have been here (6 months of the year).

But after a few years now I look back and really I should be in another country with my my Thai family. Being here is not educating the kids, in fact it is doing the opposite if that is possible.

With me I am becoming less intelligent as the days go by in the village and look forward to getting back to my work where I have to think!

I only stay here because of my wife's family, otherwise I would have moved years ago. 2014 will be time to move out and increase the intelligence level of the family.

You MUST keep your brain active. Even if it's just posting a load of old pony like I do on this forum.

I went through this years ago. Had been out here during the depression in the UK (thought sod that, may as well paint the house) and when I got back I found the brain was no longer in the cranium

This was a problem as my work lends itself to a fairly high IQ . . . which was no longer on tap (if it ever had been in the first place). I actually had to take a graduate level position for a few months to solve the problem. This was down from technical and project manager on major projects (like really, really big projects).

I would recommend children are brought up in UK/US/AUS home countries. There's a reason why the third and developing world is queueing up to get into these places. Hell, they even attach themselves to the underside of bullet trains to do so! Why are we heading in the opposite direction?

Perhaps a little unfair and extreme. But worthy of consideration.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

For many longer-stay visitors to Thailand, the differences between Thais and Europeans remain almost unfathomable. With a view to writing his own book, one friend of the writer spent ten years trying to figure out and pinpoint precisely just what were the traits and idiosynchracies - the reasons which made the two tribes so very separate in outlook, attitude and behaviour.
Yes we are different and I have learned that to become more tolerant of the consequences of those differences, one must be more willing to acclimatise to the culture by embracing their values and ideas and even customs.
A little careful thought and examination of the two worlds we occupy can be very revealing.
We of the fair skinned peoples of the northern hemisphere look different, act differently and think differently too for a number of very good reasons.
I am no professor of sociology or anthropology but I see the explanation couched in the origins of the two separate cultures - Hunters and Gatherers - primitive types who literally came from different worlds even way back then.
Clearly the northern apes millions of years ago survived the crippling cold winters huddled in caves wrapped in stinking skins, venturing out only to drag the wife by the hair to the river for a drink, or to get something hard and heavy and hunt down the weakest, dumbest wild animal to be cut up and shared between the hungry cave dwellers.
Later the spoils of the kill would be grilled over a nice big fire, once the trick of igniting flame had been perfected.
By contrast our Asian counterparts meantime were rising in the morning, picking fresh produce growing wild at the front door, scooping fresh fish from the ponds of Asia and deciding which of the huge array of fruits hanging heavy from the trees they were to enjoy before or after their afternoon nap, on the accommodating shady side of the jungle.
Occasionally they would stir to catch a wild pig by digging and disguising a hole, or trap a bird somehow for a tasty barbecue in the cool dusk of oriental paradise.
Quite a contrast then all those years ago. And not surprising then that we have very different outlooks even today, with the ‘raiders’ or Hunters from the frozen Northern Hemisphere still intent on aggressively hunting down their modern-day quarry and opportunity and yes – their partners too.
It’s how things are still done in Europe and the US and Australia. The primitive DNA keeps those ‘hard’ qualities hard-wired into the tribes of Europe, wherever they end up prevailing.
Likewise in Asia. The Gatherers stick to what they know best – gathering.
Fruit, vegetables, rice, fish, poultry and the occasional bit of meat. And they are as expert at gathering as we the hairy-assed Europeans are at hunting.
And now that the twain meet, the Hunter is mystified why any people – Thai or otherwise - can be so passive and tolerant and uncontroversial - lacking in fight or the desire to beat their opposition to a pulp.
Correct me if I’m wrong but Rugby, American Football and Ice Hockey are sports of the Northern Hemipshere which revolve around the necessity to beat the shit out of the opposition to win. And let’s be fair. They are not really big attractions in Asia today at all - even after all the televised hype and promotion.
The Gatherers prefer soccer, golf – the gentler side of sport. Try beating a Thai at checkers!

While the case for environmental determinism is a strong one, the argument that environmental determinism has affected or DNA is not supported by any evidence.

The argument that environmental determinism affects culture and social norms is well founded and demonstrable.

The observation of how so many 'hardy northern hemisphere' men slip very quickly into the Mai Pben Rai/lets not worry about tomorrow attitudes in Thailand - often to their own detriment, is evidence that these behaviors are not hardwired into their DNA.

• Like 1

Living 'in the stick'.. 3' problems:

1. Language - very little if no english just built a new Robinson's - no English. Tesco last night.. no English

2. Facilities - cinema in new Robinson's - no films in original language... as no one will go if in English

3. Choice of food hopeless..

Keeping to my 30 days visa to give me a reason to leave for a few weeks and back again..

Not married no children.. long term relationship.. has it a future??

On topic.

Village life does seem so very different to life in the larger towns and cities. A lot less stressful IF you can take the slower pace of life and do without many of the things we would take for granted like food, regular water and electricity supplies, decent internet and a host of other things. A much slower way of life. Very cheap too.

I really enjoyed it, I have to admit. Yet, I left because underneath was lurking the ever present nest of snakes, hissing their venom, stirring things, eventually making life uncomfortable. Then come the demands, the change of attitude as your ladies friends begin to become the dominant voices, persuading her to want more and more from you. To expect to have the best of everything instead of being happy living a good and comfortable lifestyle with less financial stress on her.

In my case, I refused to give in to this insidious way. I stole away in the middle of the night.

I would live that life again for sure but with the ability, as ever, to escape and not plant any deep roots in the village until I was sure the woman in question was genuinely happy to accept that it is us and her (very close) family that counts and be content with what we have and not what others would say how it should be. But it takes a strong woman to stand up to the vipers nest that seems all too prevailent in many cases.

I stole away in the middle of the night.

Go on, there's a crackin' story there, I can feel it.

On topic.

Village life does seem so very different to life in the larger towns and cities. A lot less stressful IF you can take the slower pace of life and do without many of the things we would take for granted like food, regular water and electricity supplies, decent internet and a host of other things. A much slower way of life. Very cheap too.

I really enjoyed it, I have to admit. Yet, I left because underneath was lurking the ever present nest of snakes, hissing their venom, stirring things, eventually making life uncomfortable. Then come the demands, the change of attitude as your ladies friends begin to become the dominant voices, persuading her to want more and more from you. To expect to have the best of everything instead of being happy living a good and comfortable lifestyle with less financial stress on her.

In my case, I refused to give in to this insidious way. I stole away in the middle of the night.

I would live that life again for sure but with the ability, as ever, to escape and not plant any deep roots in the village until I was sure the woman in question was genuinely happy to accept that it is us and her (very close) family that counts and be content with what we have and not what others would say how it should be. But it takes a strong woman to stand up to the vipers nest that seems all too prevailent in many cases.

I stole away in the middle of the night.

Go on, there's a crackin' story there, I can feel it.

I am not sure there is room on Thaivisa to write it wink.png

Yet I did steal away in the dead of night during a thunderstorm when the lights were out, never to be seen of or heard from again.

Oh go on I love these.

• Like 2

I am extremely disappointed in my fellow man (western) when I read such racist and degrading comments about Thais. If you come here to live via a Thai wife/girlfriend then accept Thais for what they are - they are different and what makes them different makes them all the more appealing. Western (particularly American) ideas as to what is and what isn't acceptable leaves a lot to be desired. I mean to say, who in their right mind would want to live in America? Yes, I have lived there and they could learn a lot from Thais.

• Like 2

For many longer-stay visitors to Thailand, the differences between Thais and Europeans remain almost unfathomable. With a view to writing his own book, one friend of the writer spent ten years trying to figure out and pinpoint precisely just what were the traits and idiosynchracies - the reasons which made the two tribes so very separate in outlook, attitude and behaviour.
Yes we are different and I have learned that to become more tolerant of the consequences of those differences, one must be more willing to acclimatise to the culture by embracing their values and ideas and even customs.
A little careful thought and examination of the two worlds we occupy can be very revealing.
We of the fair skinned peoples of the northern hemisphere look different, act differently and think differently too for a number of very good reasons.
I am no professor of sociology or anthropology but I see the explanation couched in the origins of the two separate cultures - Hunters and Gatherers - primitive types who literally came from different worlds even way back then.
Clearly the northern apes millions of years ago survived the crippling cold winters huddled in caves wrapped in stinking skins, venturing out only to drag the wife by the hair to the river for a drink, or to get something hard and heavy and hunt down the weakest, dumbest wild animal to be cut up and shared between the hungry cave dwellers.
Later the spoils of the kill would be grilled over a nice big fire, once the trick of igniting flame had been perfected.
By contrast our Asian counterparts meantime were rising in the morning, picking fresh produce growing wild at the front door, scooping fresh fish from the ponds of Asia and deciding which of the huge array of fruits hanging heavy from the trees they were to enjoy before or after their afternoon nap, on the accommodating shady side of the jungle.
Occasionally they would stir to catch a wild pig by digging and disguising a hole, or trap a bird somehow for a tasty barbecue in the cool dusk of oriental paradise.
-snip-

Oh really? Were you there?

I am extremely disappointed in my fellow man (western) when I read such racist and degrading comments about Thais. If you come here to live via a Thai wife/girlfriend then accept Thais for what they are - they are different and what makes them different makes them all the more appealing. Western (particularly American) ideas as to what is and what isn't acceptable leaves a lot to be desired. I mean to say, who in their right mind would want to live in America? Yes, I have lived there and they could learn a lot from Thais.

Ummm . . . a lot of people want to live in America.

Just using this post to clarify, when I said "these people are utterly clueless" in an earlier post I meant my lot up here and not Thai people in general. Plenty up here that really know what they're doing and that includes old MIL, salt of the earth.