Australian journalist says he's prepared for prison over Thai navy row

webfact

Another reform badly needed before an election.

Yes and the People's Council is just the group to champion a reform aimed at permitting freedom of press and welcoming critical foreign news reports, given Suthep's tolerance for any news reports that are not wholly committed to propagandizing his 'cause'.

. What a joke.

And who ever disagree that the protesters were numbers 5.8 million ...... . . . should face the People's court.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this story starts to capture too much attention from the international press I suspect that the charges will be quietly dropped and he will be declared 'personal non grata' and deported.

He will still be able to write the story from abroad but the impact will be considerably muted as he will no longer be threatened with jail.

Unfortunately he will have also have lost his home and livelihood.

A typical Thai compromise,

Let's see if I'm right.....

• Like 2

Good for him. Turn the whole thing into a media circus that shines a stong spotlight on the idiots in uniform. I would think he has the connections to make the Thai Navy very uncomfortable.

I would like to change the word "think" to Hope in your second sentence.

One hopes the Aussie does better than the green peace <deleted> from the UK who was locked up in Russia and on his release from jail complained to the British press that he had to live on bread and water cos the jail didn't off a vegetarian option for meals

Well. What a wonderful off topic post. Heartwarming that you should bring in an environmental activist on this one. and as a vegetarian of some 30 years standing I would, in fact did, the exact same. Needed to lose a few pounds anyway biggrin.png

Then explain to me how bread and water is not a vegetarian meal ?....what did he expect tofu and lentils washed down with a nice cup of chamomile tea ?

Is it any wonder there isn't good investigative journalism in Thailand with regard to corruption.By common consent there is mass fraud and corruption in the country and no journo or media outlet has the balls to get in deep. Partly because of defamation laws and partly because they dont want to die early.

I believe the navy acted on its own demonstrating the non oversight of the military by a civilian government. This event has the potential for serious damage to Thailand. On the positive side, it will not promote the military's PR spin that it is is kind and benevolent. The continued persecution of the 2 journalists could see sanctions brought to bear.

• Like 1

I truly admire his resolve,however there are times when fighting for a principle especially in this judicially devious country is simply not worth the cost. The Navy has picked a soft target as they have not open a law suit against the originators as Reuters enjoy a credibility that has escaped this country for decades.

Owing to his age and the fragile status that expats enjoy in this country , I see that serving a jail sentence for this as admirable but misguided..

There is little doubt amongst those that have followed this story that this is simply a typical action to try to whitewash and cover up a national disgrace.

Just remember,

In Thailand it is always to save face, despite what the truth is.......

Sure isn't the country that I adored years ago.....

Not my place, not my problem........

So many problems in so many countries, yet the people go unheard.......

Best of luck LOS, corruptions affects us all......

Happy New Years and BOL

Hang on to human principles........ wai.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

One hopes the Aussie does better than the green peace <deleted> from the UK who was locked up in Russia and on his release from jail complained to the British press that he had to live on bread and water cos the jail didn't off a vegetarian option for meals

Do you honestly believe he worked for the green peace? wink.png

As for Australian journalist. I respect his decision to go to prison over Thai navy row. Good luck to him. However, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Western arrogance is sometimes annoying. Who are we to preach to the rest of the world what to do and how to live their lives?

Yeah. People trafficking rules!!!!

<deleted>?

I believe the navy acted on its own demonstrating the non oversight of the military by a civilian government. This event has the potential for serious damage to Thailand. On the positive side, it will not promote the military's PR spin that it is is kind and benevolent. The continued persecution of the 2 journalists could see sanctions brought to bear.

But the military is kind and benevolant, except towards scumbag crims on the run and their puppet governments. whistling.gif

Just wonder, if those 50'000 unique daily visitors on ThaiVisa would
copy and past that Reuters article, would we all be in court?

If people here in Thailand would use the social media to copy and
paste thousands of times that article, instead of just complaining about
how unjust the system is, would that bring a change?

How many of us have commented about bad journalism here in the
Land of the Free? How many of us have complained that the press
here is controlled, biased and un-professional?

But I suppose, most armchair experts here on the different forums rather
complain, argue and insult other people instead of taking their fingers
out of their backsides and do something positive, helping others and
with it, helping themselves.

Just hope those Journalists will get plenty of support, at least from their
friend, colleagues and from all the international media associations.

Edited by JoeLing

.........................Court records show that of the defamation cases that proceed to trial in Thailand an average of 96 per cent lead to convictions, one of the world’s highest rates for the crime...............................

Well, I can think of a lot more important, less frivolous legal cases where rich and connected scumbags aren't even deemed to be suspects.

Put

All

The

Heinous

Evil

Turds

In

Chains

Sadly this is Thailand where the most common Thailish phrases are 'cannot' and 'no have;.

• Like 2

Sadly this is Thailand where the most common Thailish phrases are 'cannot' and 'no have;.

Well, not that much different then the rest of the world

I recon, the only difference with our western countries,

we "Don't want" and we "Can't be bothered"

• Like 1

As for Australian journalist. I respect his decision to go to prison over Thai navy row. Good luck to him. However, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Western arrogance is sometimes annoying. Who are we to preach to the rest of the world what to do and how to live their lives?

I think you're missing the point. If it's defamation to claim the Thai navy is involved in human trafficking that suggests the navy thinks that trafficking is wrong. They wouldn't claim defamation if the report had claimed the Thai navy was one of the best in the world.

Taking your attitude just lets those like the Thai navy get away with what they themselves see as wrong.

• Like 2

I don't think we are in the position to judge Thais or anyone else. Just google the name Michael Hastings. He was a brave man who was only doing his job and wanted to inform the American public about certain dodgy things. Unfortunately, he died in the 'car accident'. That's the way we do things.

OK I did that. It seems he died in a car accident. It's always possible that there were suspicious circumstances but his wife thinks it was just an accident and his brother and others say he was acting strangely beforehand and seemed paranoid.

Even if there was something suspicious about his death what difference does that make? In the UK we have murderers. It doesn't mean we shouldn't say murder is wrong in another country.

Does make you wonder why there's a need for a Defence Minister doesn't it? Also why a former PM and DPM have been charged with ordering the army to kill people.

I think you're missing the point. If it's defamation to claim the Thai navy is involved in human trafficking that suggests the navy thinks that trafficking is wrong. They wouldn't claim defamation if the report had claimed the Thai navy was one of the best in the world.

Taking your attitude just lets those like the Thai navy get away with what they themselves see as wrong.

Let me put it this way. Many of us came to Thailand as guests and visitors. Thailand is a sovereign country. Thai laws apply. We may not like many things here but it is not our job to change Thai constitution and laws. You’ve got to abide by laws of Thailand or any other foreign country you visit. That is our duty and responsibility. You would not like Thais coming to the UK telling you how to live in your own house, would you?

I personally like Thailand because it is different than so called western neoliberal democracies. For instance, all those food vendors would be eradicated overnight if western laws were applied. Life in the western world became rather boring. Political correctness has gone mad. In a way, you can say more things in Thailand than back home without being accused of racism, sexism etc..etc...

For example, BBC forced Roby Fowler to publicly apologise for comparing Torres and Vertonghen to girls. Bloody ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2436626/BBC-criticised-forcing-Robbie-Fowler-make-air-apology.html

I don't think we are in the position to judge Thais or anyone else. Just google the name Michael Hastings. He was a brave man who was only doing his job and wanted to inform the American public about certain dodgy things. Unfortunately, he died in the 'car accident'. That's the way we do things.

Or the Australian Accountant Micheal Wansley shot dead in Nakon Sawan in 1999, only doing his job but some thais didn.t like it

Let me put it this way. Many of us came to Thailand as guests and visitors. Thailand is a sovereign country. Thai laws apply. We may not like many things here but it is not our job to change Thai constitution and laws. You’ve got to abide by laws of Thailand or any other foreign country you visit. That is our duty and responsibility. You would not like Thais coming to the UK telling you how to live in your own house, would you?

I personally like Thailand because it is different than so called western neoliberal democracies. For instance, all those food vendors would be eradicated overnight if western laws were applied. Life in the western world became rather boring. Political correctness has gone mad. In a way, you can say more things in Thailand than back home without being accused of racism, sexism etc..etc...

For example, BBC forced Roby Fowler to publicly apologise for comparing Torres and Vertonghen to girls. Bloody ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2436626/BBC-criticised-forcing-Robbie-Fowler-make-air-apology.html

If there was a dislike button, I would happily used it with your posting.

Good luck Alan, if you go to prison I will be happy to come visit you even if you don't know me, and you will have many more friends lining up to do the same.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

You're still not understanding the issue are you. If you read my post I've said nothing about changing the laws of Thailand. I'm merely pointing out the consequences of those laws. I also said that human trafficking is wrong and that if the Thai navy thought it was OK they wouldn't be bringing a defamation case. In that sense I'm agreeing with their view not opposing it.

Even if they did think human trafficking was OK, in which case they wouldn't try to cover it up, I think it's sufficiently abhorrent to make mentioning it more important than offending a few navy top brass which is what it amounts to. Plus of course it probably pays them well which is why they don't want to be stopped. Remember these aren't Thais they are trafficking and they are breaking international laws as well and many Thais don't like it either.

You may well be right about some political correctness in a few cases but I'd prefer that to not being able to criticise someone just because they have money and influence.

As for life in the western world being rather boring just think how you'd feel if someone you knew was killed because of the entertainingly lax traffic laws. You might also have a think about how much fun you could have if all the western influences disappeared. For a start you'd have trouble getting here and when you did there would be no electricity, motor vehicles, computers, internet ect.

• Like 1

If there was a dislike button, I would happily used it with your posting.

Good luck Alan, if you go to prison I will be happy to come visit you even if you don't know me, and you will have many more friends lining up to do the same.

Agreed. Some of us would not be so scared to see the boat rocked a little bit in Mackie's unregulated little paradise where incomers are "ever so 'umble".

Many of us came to Thailand as guests or visitors, but are now a lot more committed to the country than represented by Mackie. It would be racist if a Thai were to suggest that immigrants of whatever status should have no right to express views, particularly when they are quite prepared to abide by Thailands laws (ie take their punishment) in order to register a protest. But then I guess laws are always right in Mackies neo-conservative world.

• Like 2