Thailand's army moves to ease coup fears

webfact

Thailand's Army Moves to Ease Coup Fears
Reuters

BANGKOK — Thailand's powerful but politicized army sought to ease fears on Monday it might step in to resolve a festering political crisis, while anti-government protesters entrenched positions around Bangkok as they seek to disrupt a February election.

The latest round of an all-too-familiar political conflict in Thailand has dragged on for weeks. It flared last week into deadly clashes between police and protesters outside a stadium where registration for the Feb. 2 poll was under way and at other rally sites around the Thai capital.

The head of the military added to the growing sense of unease on Thursday when he refused to rule out a coup after those clashes. A policeman and a protester were killed when an unidentified gunman opened fire, and scores were wounded in the clashes.

The demonstrators are determined to topple Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who they accuse of being a puppet of her self-exiled brother and former premier, Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thai army chief General Prayuth Chan-Ocha said after Thursday's clashes that “the door was neither open nor closed” on a coup, and social media across Thailand has buzzed with rumors of a coup ever since.

Army spokesman Winthai Suwaree sought to play down those fears, telling reporters on Monday that the rumors were causing “confusion and speculation”. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.voanews.com/content/thailands-army-moves-to-ease-coup-fears/1819905.html

-- Voice of America 2013-12-31

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game over, then.

There's deffo gonna be a military coup.

Orwell was right (he's always right).

Doublespeak as in "I cannot foresee my ever challenging for the leadership" whenever a politician is asked if he/she wants to be the boss.

coffee1.gif

Game over, then.

Doublespeak as in "I cannot foresee my ever challenging for the leadership" whenever a politician is asked if he/she wants to be the boss.

coffee1.gif

Not so fast: As I recall, in one of his Wartime Diaries I-V, Orwell expressed the view that Gandhi's non-violent protests presented no great threat to British rule as they would ultimately prove ineffective against military force. I'm not saying he was wrong about this, I'm just saying we will never know if he was right.

Game over, then.

coffee1.gif

Not so fast: As I recall, in one of his Wartime Diaries I-V, Orwell expressed the view that Gandhi's non-violent protests presented no great threat to British rule as they would ultimately prove ineffective against military force. I'm not saying he was wrong about this, I'm just saying we will never know if he was right.

No, he was right.

Any unarmed group facing down an army is gonna be pretty ineffective, I'd wager.

As you say though, it never came to that as Britain was already tired of Empire by that point.

Good thing, too.

Re; Orwell, he was wrong, in that he completely underestimated the scope and power of the supernational robot jackboots that are a-hovering over the common man.

Re; Gandhi, liberation was obviously important, but the act of dying without striking back was more important to him. He felt that he would rather die, quite literally, than cause harm to others, or to obey laws which he did not see as fair. His family and followers believed this to a lesser and varying degree. People disagree on this and some even flame the great man, but I personally consider him an incredible human being.

Re; the Thai army, who knows. My only concern is that whoever is in control, there are no more deaths or injuries and that people can start working towards a brighter Thailand.

Suthep better report to the police before a coup. He would be safer in jail then with the Army.

Why's that ?

He is simply giving BS comment!

That's one possibility, or perhaps he really does have something cogent to add to the thread, but was just pressed-for-time so couldn't expand on his brief comment ?

Let's see what response he makes.

It's difficult to see the problem resolved without intervention.

On the one hand the protesters want to see Yingluck removed, however she is democratically elected and everybody knows that in any election she will be re-elected.

The answer may be for someone to rule that it's illegal for her to be prime minister because of her connections with her brother, however she would only be replaced with another puppet.

You can't win really, politics the world over only offer an illusion of democracy.. every government knows that you can't actually allow the people to choose..

• Like 2

A coup could either trigger a more protracted conflict and further polarize the country. Or it could provide both sides with enough breathing space to calm down, resolve their differences and then hold an election 12 months down the track.

If there is to be a coup - which i hope there is not as a political mutually acceptable solution would be far better - then lets at least hope the main protagonists don't use it as an excuse to whip up their supporters into a frenzy, but rather take it as an opportunity to foster a broader sense of co-operation and understanding between each other, so the country can progress when elections are held.

No one wants to see violence between rival Thai factions - And if you do then you are a dick!!

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm completely off topic. I'm not real familiar with Thai politics at all as I have never really taken an interest. To me Governments are all the same, full of shit and only ever do what's right for them. So was wondering if someone could please explain why, if the people of the country don't want Yinluck in power did they ever vote for her in the first place? I understand that her brother was in power before which seems quite strange how a brother and sister can both have their time at the top of the political ladder (Corruption at it's finest). Could someone also explain why, if she has the interests of the country at heart would she not step down in order to keep peace? If everyone hates her so much I'm surprised she hasn't been physically removed one way or another. I also don't understand why "The Family" don't step in and sort this out (Rule as rulers do). After all the entire country loves them and will listen to their every word.

1. The people of the country do want Yingluck - what makes you think they don't? a few hundred thousand protesters? a single swallow doth not a Summer make

2. You don't think it strange when their was Bush as president and then Bush Junior? what't the big deal?

3. Why step down when they had a landslide majority at the last election?

4. "everyone" doesn't hate her

5. Understand this is an attempted coup by the "old guard" to protect the elite's power - that's why they do not support one person- one vote

6. Against the TVF rules to discuss "the family"

• Like 2

Game over, then.

coffee1.gif

Like to point out the very title of the book 1984 makes him wrong from the start.

They say Thaksin has effectively manipulated a fragile democracy by buying the support of the rural poor with populist policies such as cheap healthcare, easy credit and subsidies for rice farmers. Many poor voters say Thaksin was the first leader to actually keep election promises to help them.

I hear that often. other than access to medical help what have they got to show from his years in power. the world was booming and ?Thailand was just riding on it. It had nothing to do with Thaksin. Yes the cheap credit. Thereby increasing their poverty.

I had to laugh at the last paragraph where Yingluck said she would do any thing as long as it is constitutional to ease the situation. So far I have heard that it is constitutional to delay the election and form a committee to look into reform for the Election system and the rest of the Government but she is not willing to step down and do that. After the election which she will probably win she says she will do it. But she has no interest what so ever in reform in the electoral system until she is once a gain in the drivers seat. Some how that does not reassure me. As for a coup not going to happen.Suthep has tried to get the army but they won't even talk to him. But they will set up a meeting between him and Yingluck.

I think we would only see the army get involved if it was to turn into a armed assault on the country such as the red shirts did in 2010. Keeping it peaceful is Suthep's biggest problem particularly when it is easy for some one to infiltrate them and cause a disturbance.

• Like 1