Heaven or Hell, How's your Thai life.

canuckamuck

Heaven or Hell - How's your Thai life?  

282 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Voted 9 after 6.5 years.

Many of the already stated negatives are true to a certain extent. But everywhere sucks a bit from time to time. I've lived for quite some time in a number of diverse places to include Russia, The States, Europe Various, Middle East and nothing comes close to the batsh*t insane, neon-lit craziness that is the delightful Thailand (and I don't live in Pattaya and I am happily married).

The three key aspects to achieve your happiness anywhere would surely be financial stability, emotional situation and health. If any of those three are lacking, you're gonna have a bad time...I suppose more can be added.

Food: superb

House: cheap

Parties with friends: from quiet to embarrassingly uncontrolled

Wife and friends: diversified, pleasant, caring and fun

Golf: cheap

If you can't afford to live here, you certainly can't afford to go back and live at home. Seen the price of utilities back in your Western hometown recently? Price of beer anyone? How about that noodle shop down your soi selling noodles from 30-50 THB. And the noodle seller is happy, she's smiling. The turd in the kebab shop in Bolton is grimacing at you as you hand over your fiver...

Redtape/bureaucracy, I hate that too, no excuse for that but it doesn't get me down.

There are probably a few types of expat (more than I list below, feel free to expand):

1) Working expat on a big salary or successfully self employed

2) Retired expat trying to live on the pension/savings which are barely sufficient

3) Retired expat with good to very good pension and savings living the good life

4) Working expat on a borderline crap salary (I met someone last night who says he earns 70-80KB in BKK at 40 years old)

But with all of the above, it's what you make out of it. The simple fact is that the fewest people actually understand their own finances and where it can take them. The other two aspects, health and emotions are quite capable of destroying the strongest financial situation. And this, I fear, is where many find themselves.

I wish all of you a happy 2014 in Thailand. The Land of Smiles (and the occasional smirk).

I agreed with everything you said until I read your number 4.

70-80k a month is a borderline crap salary?? Are you serious?

I would add 5) Foreign criminals on the run. Thailand seems to have it fair share of those.

• Like 1

Voted 9 after 6.5 years.

Many of the already stated negatives are true to a certain extent. But everywhere sucks a bit from time to time. I've lived for quite some time in a number of diverse places to include Russia, The States, Europe Various, Middle East and nothing comes close to the batsh*t insane, neon-lit craziness that is the delightful Thailand (and I don't live in Pattaya and I am happily married).

The three key aspects to achieve your happiness anywhere would surely be financial stability, emotional situation and health. If any of those three are lacking, you're gonna have a bad time...I suppose more can be added.

Food: superb

House: cheap

Parties with friends: from quiet to embarrassingly uncontrolled

Wife and friends: diversified, pleasant, caring and fun

Golf: cheap

If you can't afford to live here, you certainly can't afford to go back and live at home. Seen the price of utilities back in your Western hometown recently? Price of beer anyone? How about that noodle shop down your soi selling noodles from 30-50 THB. And the noodle seller is happy, she's smiling. The turd in the kebab shop in Bolton is grimacing at you as you hand over your fiver...

Redtape/bureaucracy, I hate that too, no excuse for that but it doesn't get me down.

There are probably a few types of expat (more than I list below, feel free to expand):

1) Working expat on a big salary or successfully self employed

2) Retired expat trying to live on the pension/savings which are barely sufficient

3) Retired expat with good to very good pension and savings living the good life

4) Working expat on a borderline crap salary (I met someone last night who says he earns 70-80KB in BKK at 40 years old)

But with all of the above, it's what you make out of it. The simple fact is that the fewest people actually understand their own finances and where it can take them. The other two aspects, health and emotions are quite capable of destroying the strongest financial situation. And this, I fear, is where many find themselves.

I wish all of you a happy 2014 in Thailand. The Land of Smiles (and the occasional smirk).

I agreed with everything you said until I read your number 4.

70-80k a month is a borderline crap salary?? Are you serious?

I would add 5) Foreign criminals on the run. Thailand seems to have it fair share of those.

Quote his comment in context 70-80k m for a 40 year old is borderline crap, his point being a persons maximum earning potential is typically between 40 and 50 so this 70-80k maybe as good as its going to get

• Like 1

I voted 5.

When it's lovely ( usually involves seeing a few exceptionally beautiful Thai girls ) and nothing goes wrong it's the best place on earth. When it's not nice ( usually involving bureacracy in some form ) it's hell on earth.

wink.png

Would've been 10 at the start and is probably still 10 as a holiday destination. Livability, for me about 6.

I'd go for 8or 9. Villagefarang has summed it up perfectly. Not having to live up to anyone else's expectations is great. Today is New Years Day - have just had coffee with some good Thai friends who are getting into organic gardening, weird wine ideas, and exotic fruits. Simple stuff out in the fresh air. Yes some normal concerns about kids, money, health, but life's good.

• Like 1