Rip off red songtheaw drivers.

thaibeachlovers

Why are they such rip offs?

I needed to go to the airport from near Thapae Gate and they all wanted at least 100 baht, despite it being a 20 baht trip, even with other passengers on board, so not a private hire. One scoundrel even asked for 200 baht.

Had I just wanted to go to Central Airport, it would be 20 baht, despite being only a couple minutes less far and they have to go to the airport to do a U turn anyway.

The transport is one of my biggest hates about C M.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has always been that way. They charge more for the bus station too.

I have always been able to convince them to bring me to the airport for about 30 baht, but it takes stopping a few trucks and maybe not this close to New Years, when there are so many suckers in town.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Funny this topic comes up today. I witnessed something similar this morning. I was in a restaurant on the roadside of moonmuang. Red songteaw parked up outside, waiting for prey. The family sat next to me paid their bill then walked over to this man. The asked how much to Central airport. He said 100 for each of them. Their were 2 parents and 4 small kids. They agreed, he then confirmed 600 baht with the father. The father agreed again. 600!ohmy.png I couldn't believe the drivers luck. He had a massive smile on his face. Before he could even get in his old pick up, he just couldnt resist shouting the result over to his wife who was in the passenger seat. She looked in shock, but then laughed.cheesy.gif

Mixed experience for me with the Songteaw.

Recently I didn't have any change. I only have 1,000 baht note with me and it was quite early in the morning.

The Songteaw ended up not charging me a dime because he had no change.

He drove away so quickly there was no other way to pay him back.

Can the OP speak any Thai?

If not than the taxi drivers will consider any farang passengers as dumb tourists ripe for extortion and ripping off. It`s traditional here in the LOS and has been going on since biblical times when the first songtheaws were horse and chariot.

For the more enlightened of us ex-pats who have bothered to learn even some basic Thai, just say; no thank you, smile and then try a few cabs until a deal can be reached that suits everyone. It`s all part of the fun and games that we have to endure as residents of this noble land.

• Like 2

US$3.06 to get to the airport!!!! Disgraceful. What were they planning to do with all that money? Buy a Mercedes? One things for sure they wouldn't buy food for their children with it.

Indeed, that would be hard I suspect. I remember seeing a foreigner trying to pay for an ice-coffee with an USD bill once, but the staff would have none of it. They said something like "why do you try to use your foreign money here? Do you not know this is Thailand?"

Was that you I saw, saroq?

• Like 2

Funny this topic comes up today. I witnessed something similar this morning. I was in a restaurant on the roadside of moonmuang. Red songteaw parked up outside, waiting for prey. The family sat next to me paid their bill then walked over to this man. The asked how much to Central airport. He said 100 for each of them. Their were 2 parents and 4 small kids. They agreed, he then confirmed 600 baht with the father. The father agreed again. 600!ohmy.png I couldn't believe the drivers luck. He had a massive smile on his face. Before he could even get in his old pick up, he just couldnt resist shouting the result over to his wife who was in the passenger seat. She looked in shock, but then laughed.cheesy.gif

I use them a lot but never use the ones just parked they are looking for the big pay off.

Just flag one down. Have been overcharged a few times. But nothing to get excited about. 20 baht has been the standard cost for a couple of years now and expenses have gone up. Being on pensions my income has also gone up. I feel sorry for those on the fixed income. Even with the raise in my pensions I am not getting as much for my baht as I did when I first came here 7 years ago.

So take the 20b ride to Central and catch another the short distance to the airport, there's always lots waiting outside Central.

I was in the free shuttle from the airport Mall once when they took some people to the airport before doing there regular route.

Can the OP speak any Thai?

If not than the taxi drivers will consider any farang passengers as dumb tourists ripe for extortion and ripping off. It`s traditional here in the LOS and has been going on since biblical times when the first songtheaws were horse and chariot.

For the more enlightened of us ex-pats who have bothered to learn even some basic Thai, just say; no thank you, smile and then try a few cabs until a deal can be reached that suits everyone. It`s all part of the fun and games that we have to endure as residents of this noble land.

I just say hello in Thai then where I want to go. I can count in Thai so if there is to high a price I will counter offer. Depending on how high some I just say no and wait for the next one to come by.

You may be enduring living here but I love it.

• Like 1

Took one from the airport into town recently. 40 Baht.

He didn't actually state a price, but 40 Baht seemed reasonable, weighing in that it was late at night (10:30pm or so), but that there were other passengers besides me. Airport to half way down Loy Kroh.

I think they're one of the best things about Chiang Mai.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

"I needed to go to the airport from near Thapae Gate and they all wanted at least 100 baht, despite it being a 20 baht trip, even with other passengers on board, so not a private hire. One scoundrel even asked for 200 baht".

I wonder why so many of them seem to see you as someone to scam?

• Like 1

US$3.06 to get to the airport!!!! Disgraceful. What were they planning to do with all that money? Buy a Mercedes? One things for sure they wouldn't buy food for their children with it.

Airport taxi to my condo here 120 baht. Airport taxi to my old home in Texas - about the same distance - $18.00 US (approx. 590 baht at todays rate). I wouldn't squeak about 100 baht, though in all honesty, the most I have ever paid a songtheaw was 60 baht and that was from the train station to my condo. Was I overcharged? Maybe but I haven't missed any meals because of it.

David

• Like 2

"I needed to go to the airport from near Thapae Gate and they all wanted at least 100 baht, despite it being a 20 baht trip, even with other passengers on board, so not a private hire. One scoundrel even asked for 200 baht".

I wonder why so many of them seem to see you as someone to scam?

+1

David

He didn't actually state a price, but 40 Baht seemed reasonable, weighing in that it was late at night (10:30pm or so), but that there were other passengers besides me. Airport to half way down Loy Kroh.

This is something I don`t recommend.

Always agree a price with a taxi driver prior to starting the journey, than there can be no disputes and no unpleasant surprises at arrival of destination.

Getting into a taxi and hoping the driver will be a decent chap and charge a reasonable fare, is a taking a big gamble in Thailand.

Always agree a price with a taxi driver prior to starting the journey, than there can be no disputes and no unpleasant surprises at arrival of destination.

Getting into a taxi and hoping the driver will be a decent chap and charge a reasonable fare, is a taking a big gamble in Thailand.

I agree about negotiating the fare or using meter for taxi's.

A terrible tragedy about the dead expat of course. But why people

continue to let these things get out of control for a dollar or two is just stupid.

I remember reading on TV a little while ago about a member who got a belting

after arguing with a bus driver over a 20 Baht fare. Crazy!

continue to let these things get out of control for a dollar or two is just stupid.

Interestingly the American who is murdered in that video had lived in Thailand for three years and spoke fluent Thai, according to a report in the NY Daily News. He also had a Thai wife, so he knew and understood the Thai culture. If he can make a mistake like that, anyone can.

Be careful here in Thailand. One miscalculation can cost you your life. The Thais do not think they way farangs think. Sometimes they don't think at all, and react like animals, as in this case.

Edited by mesquite

On my first trip to Bangkok I agreed to a 50 baht fare, only to find that the driver drove about a block or two and there we were at the destination. The meter read 15 baht. Being a newcomer and only in Thailand a day or so and never having taken a cab here before, I argued that I should only have to pay 15 baht. However, the driver looked me in the eye and yelled "50 baht!" His look and demeanor, like that of a wild animal, scared me into my senses and I gave him 50 baht. I was lucky he gave me a warning instead of hacking me to death first. Live and learn. Always honor your negotiated fare.

Of course it's NOT about the money. What if I charged you 30 baht to walk on this block. Would you pay? Come on, it's only 1 dollar!!! of course you wouldn't pay, and maybe get mad. I have walked 1 hour instead of paying $1 more than i thought was reasonable. and in America, I have paid $26 for a few trips on a bus. but i know that is standardized, so i don't think about it.

*Note: TV will charge 1 baht for each word of posting. If Thai, and can prove citizenship, it's 1 baht per 10 words. If you are new to TV, you will be charged an additional 10 baht for logging into your account for the first 100 attempts. please send all funds to puukao, as I will negotiate and be arbitrator for all persons, save icelanders. clap2.gifgiggle.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

On my first trip to Bangkok I agreed to a 50 baht fare, only to find that the driver drove about a block or two and there we were at the destination. The meter read 15 baht. Being a newcomer and only in Thailand a day or so and never having taken a cab here before, I argued that I should only have to pay 15 baht. However, the driver looked me in the eye and yelled "50 baht!" His look and demeanor, like that of a wild animal, scared me into my senses and I gave him 50 baht. I was lucky he gave me a warning instead of hacking me to death first. Live and learn. Always honor your negotiated fare.

therein the lesson

'meter' - go by it

'haggle' - go by it

up to you - but not worth dying for it

Interestingly the American who is murdered in that video had lived in Thailand for three years and spoke fluent Thai, according to a report in the NY Daily News. He also had a Thai wife, so he knew and understood the Thai culture. If he can make a mistake like that, anyone can.

Be careful here in Thailand. One miscalculation can cost you your life. The Thais do not think they way farangs think. Sometimes they don't think at all, and react like animals, as in this case.

Interesting the picture shows the victim running towards the attacker not away from him.

No mention of what built up to it was the passenger sober. Looks to me like he was attempting stupidly to attack a guy with a samari sword. Living in Thailand for three years he should have known enough to run away. It is not like the cab driver had the sword out. What did he do when the cab driver was getting it out stand by waiting for it.

Sensationalism with no background. Some people will believe anything. Also it was a cab not a songthaew. But it fits right in with a persons negative view against Thai's.

The American did nothing to provoke it all he did was stand there watch the cab driver get the sword out get out of his cab and attack him.

I have some swamp land for sale in Arizona if you are interested. It has a bridge over it that is included in the deal.