Is The Hangover 2 the second worst farang film about Bkk ever?

thaibeachlovers

Saw it on tv the other day. Utterly excrable and lazy film making. They even added police sirens in the street to the soundtrack, for some reason.

I say second worst, because no film could be worse than the appalling Nicholas Cage mutilation of Bangkok Dangerous. Truly an abomination.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicholas Cage ? Ugly, balding, utterly over-rated Nicholas Cage (Cappola)

How 'bout the utterly moronic "The Island" ?

With astronomically over-rated cardigan model Leonardo DiCaprio ?

(Helluva ladies' man they say ;;-)

This stinker was pieced together from an utterly incomprehensible novel written by a Kao San backpacker whose daddy, a cartoonist for some London Daily rag or other was owed favours by mates in publishing.

Execrable.

And they wonder why everyone downloads whatever they can.

Nope, compared to Bangkok Adrenaline, Bangkok Dangerous deserves an oscar ! Adrenaline is by far the worst I have ever seen involving Bangkok.

BTW, have an Thai movies been filmed in Europe or America, would like to see what their depiction would be like ?

Dear Galileo

Thanks, looks to be a classic

I have seen that film. It is quite predictable but some parts are mildly entertaining. The interesting bit for me is the truth that the film-maker put in, unintentionally I suspect, that the two Thai girls never really interact meaningfully with anyone outside of the Thai diaspora. How many MBA's have I met who spent 2 years or more in the UK and the only jobs they ever did were working in Thai restaurants.

The worst film I have ever seen made or set in Thailand?

Well, not counting either of the two versions of 'Anna and the King' nor the 'King and I' then it's a toss up between 'The Beach' and 'Butterfly Man.'

Whilst I enjoyed the original Bangkok Dangerous far more than the remake; at least the remake was also directed by the Pang brothers. If I hadn't seen the original first, I'd have enjoyed the Cage version more.

The 'Hangover' films are crude comedies designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator and should not be taken seriously.

The worst film about Bangkok is "Only God Forgives" (2013) Talk about being execrable, this film has to go down as the worst film ever made.

(Happy NewYear)

Responses like these are typical of people who take all films on face value. Some films can be taken that way but if you knew anything about Nicolas Winding Refn it's that's his movies usually contain a lot of underlying meanings and metaphorical references. Only God Forgives is no different. Personally I thought it was a work of art. Every scene and the accompanying soundtrack.
In short you have obviously not understood any of the movie. Allow me to educate you. You're welcome.
Edited by wellred
  • Like 1

I have not seen Only God Forgives; and your comments make me not want to!

I go to the cinema to be entertained, not to search for underlying meanings and metaphorical references!

If I need to be 'educated' about a film, or need someone to 'explain' it to me, I'd rather be doing something else.

If that makes me shallow in your view, so be it.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

The worst film about Bangkok is "Only God Forgives" (2013) Talk about being execrable, this film has to go down as the worst film ever made.

(Happy NewYear)

Responses like these are typical of people who take all films on face value. Some films can be taken that way but if you knew anything about Nicolas Winding Refn it's that's his movies usually contain a lot of underlying meanings and metaphorical references. Only God Forgives is no different. Personally I thought it was a work of art. Every scene and the accompanying soundtrack.

In short you have obviously not understood any of the movie. Allow me to educate you. You're welcome.

Pish posh...

It didn't pull the palm d'Or so there's no need for you to claim that anyone who disagrees with your opinion that this is some kind of cinematic subliminal message laden masterpiece knows squat about cinema.

I would wager if a dusit poll taken of cinema goers on this movie if they found the underlying meanings of this film to be of any more importance that seeing Ryan Gosling, chances are everyone was in it for Ryan Gosling...

It took a pasting by most in the press, with the exception of The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw...

The underlying theme in this film is that Julian has acute mummy issues...

I've seen more compelling episodes of Banged Up Abroad...

If it wasn't for Ying's role, I'd have personally not wasted the bandwidth..

Nicholas Cage ? Ugly, balding, utterly over-rated Nicholas Cage (Cappola) How 'bout the utterly moronic "The Island" ? With astronomically over-rated cardigan model Leonardo DiCaprio ? (Helluva ladies' man they say ;;-) This stinker was pieced together from an utterly incomprehensible novel written by a Kao San backpacker whose daddy, a cartoonist for some London Daily rag or other was owed favours by mates in publishing. Execrable. And they wonder why everyone downloads whatever they can.

Wasn't the Decaprio film,called the Beach?

• Like 1

Ok guys just because some of you are too stupid to read between the lines in the movie doesn't mean you can bash it and expect everyone to sing from the same hym sheet.

I too go to the cinema to be entertained. Some films I can happy sit back and take at face value, other films sometimes make you think and I think there is plenty of room for both.

Also I tend not to rely on others (eg palm dor, sun dance whoever) when watching films. I like to make my own mind up.

Maybe you should try something like Ladyboys on Sky Living or whatever channel it airs on.

All stories/movies made by farangs and set in Thailand make me cringe - they are invariably cliched, unrealistic <deleted>.

Hangover 1 was funny and I looked forward to part 2, but only managed about the first 20mins.

Bangkok Dangerous? Abysmal ....

Tony Parsons wrote a book set in South Thailand (managed to purge the title from my memory), didn't get past the first chapter.

Don't get me started on The Beach...... I avoid any literature/film set in Thailand now.

• Like 1

Ok guys just because some of you are too stupid to read between the lines in the movie doesn't mean you can bash it and expect everyone to sing from the same hym sheet.

I too go to the cinema to be entertained. Some films I can happy sit back and take at face value, other films sometimes make you think and I think there is plenty of room for both.

Also I tend not to rely on others (eg palm dor, sun dance whoever) when watching films. I like to make my own mind up.

Maybe you should try something like Ladyboys on Sky Living or whatever channel it airs on.

Ease up there señor, resorting to intellectual belittling is hardly called for...

On a point of correctness, it's called a "hymn" sheet, so I hope you weren't trying to preach to the choir with that one...

Being based in Thailand, I don't get Ladyboys on Sky Living, though I fail to see its relevance when we were discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of Only God Forgives, which last time I saw, didn't have a mention of Ladyboys in it or was that in the Directors Cut?

The Hangover is a comedy not a documentary, it is meant to be funny which it was, I laughed so hard during the ladyboy scene I almost pissed myself.

Now Bangkok Dangerous was just ok, a action movie not a documentary again, meant to entertain not educate you. Watch them for what they are not what you want them to be.

Nicholas Cage ? Ugly, balding, utterly over-rated Nicholas Cage (Cappola) How 'bout the utterly moronic "The Island" ? With astronomically over-rated cardigan model Leonardo DiCaprio ? (Helluva ladies' man they say ;;-) This stinker was pieced together from an utterly incomprehensible novel written by a Kao San backpacker whose daddy, a cartoonist for some London Daily rag or other was owed favours by mates in publishing. Execrable. And they wonder why everyone downloads whatever they can.

That was "The Beach", not The Island. Nowhere near as bad. When it was on in London, I missed LOS so much I watched it 16 times, LOL. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to watch Nick Cage's horrid piece of tat again.

There is a restaurant in Had Rin that used to play The Beach every night, don't know if they still do. The ironic thing is that all the dread headed pissed and drugged up bagpackers that proclaim to love The Beach are precisely the sort of people that The Beach was putting down. I guess they are too dumb to understand that, LOL.

I actually liked the book, but Garland's next effort was terrible.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Your about to shake your head at me op, I liked both Hangover 1 and 2 plus Bangkok Dangerous although Nicholas Cage could have been replaced.

I'm sorry but Hangover was a classic especially when Stu finds out about the ladyboy I cracked up. Funny guys.

The Beach was meh, ok I suppose. Not his best movie by far.

I loved the first hangover film.

Apparently number three is terrible.

I enjoyed The Tesseract.

This may have a lot to do with the director, Oxide Pang, rather than the original book.

BTW, for those who don't already know, the book is set in Manila but Pang switched the location to Bangkok for the film.

I enjoyed The Tesseract.

This may have a lot to do with the director, Oxide Pang, rather than the original book.

BTW, for those who don't already know, the book is set in Manila but Pang switched the location to Bangkok for the film.

I was referring to the book. I haven't yet seen the film.

I watched 5 minutes of each movie mentioned, that says enough.

Now Red Rock West with Nicolas Cage and Dennis Hopper was something, from there on easy to mention Blue Velvet with Dennis Hopper from director David Lynch, last one is in my top 10.

• Like 1

(Happy NewYear)

The Guardian gives it five stars and says,

I can only say that Refn's movie is entirely gripping, put together with lethal, formal brilliance, with bizarre set pieces of sentimentality and nauseous black comedy. It has its own miasma of anxiety and evil, taking place in a universe of fear, a place of deep-sea unreality in which you need to breathe through special gills – and through which the action swims at about 90% of normal speed through to its chilling conclusion. It is a kind of hallucinated tragi-exploitation shocker, an enriched uranium cake of pulp with a neon sheen.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/01/only-god-forgives-review

Maybe, before you criticize another person's efforts, think if you could do better. And if so, send your script in for consideration. Otherwise just shut-up and go back to your barstool at Nana.

Lots of investors are looking for great scripts if you have good ideas for a movie.

• Like 1

I enjoyed The Tesseract.

Yeah.

Don't ya just hate it when Oxide does that ;-?