Can I drive from luang prabang to pak beng via nang lew & huai nown

tomtaylor1

Hi All,In the past I have driven from Houei Xai to Pak Beng via Pha Oudom to Phu Luang then the last 5 kilometers to Pak Beng, in my jeep, a very pleasant drive over mountains and thru beautiful country side and villages along an adequate dirt road. Is it possible to drive from Luang Prabang to Nang Lew onto Huai Noun then onto Pakbeng Via Hongsa.

Does any one sell a good gps Map of laos, the one I have now is as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike, the map bought in Pattaya.

Thanking you in anticipation Tom

Sorry, but I don't recognize Nang Lew or Huai Noun. But, from LP you can head down to Xieng Nguen, turn right and head to the Mekong at Tha Deua, cross over then drive down to Sayaboury. There it's paved on up to Hong Sa. Head west to Meuang Nguen, turn right on up to the Mekong again, cross over, and about 15 km to Pak Beng.

The more direct way from LP to Hong Sa should be doable in the dry season. Cross over the Mekong from LP and head west.

As to maps, I carry three along on Lao trips:

-- GT Rider map, available lots of places in Laos and Northern & NE Thailand

-- Riese map for Laos, can order from Germany, where I got mine

-- Gecko maps, can order online altho I got mine at Monument Books, LP and Vientiane

These last two are pretty good.

Then there's this very good GPS map: http://www.laosgpsmap.com/

Mac

Hi Mac, I am using a GT-Rider The Laos Guide Map, which has a lot of information, but the route I mentioned earlier is not clear. I enjoyed my drive Pak Beng over to Houei Xai, then the ferry to Chiang Khong, 1000 Baht weekdays, up to 1500 Baht weekends and holidays, be a lot better when the bridge is open. My GF's family live in Chiang Saen

Thanks for the info.

Tom