Nongkhai Border to Udon Airport

mgbcnx

Now, how about the reverse process--Vientiane to Udon Thani?

We have been advised to take a taxi from downtown Vientiane to the border, then look for van drivers standing around on the Thai side who will whisk us to the Udon airport for about Bt.900. Any truth to this? We have a five o'clock plane to catch out of Udon which is sold out--and which we cannot miss.

Many thanks in advance for any advice on the return.

I have never seen a minibus service from the bridge at Nong Khai to Udon the bus services were always from the bus station in NK to the bus station in Udon and never to the airport.

900 baht is the price I would expect a minibus or taxi to charge for exclusive use from NK to the airport.

In case things have changed I have e-mailed a mate who did a visa run recently. I will let you know what he says.

If I were you I would make other arrangements in advance to make sure you get your plane.

These are the numbers for the metered taxi's in Udon. I have no idea of pricing or what they may charge you to come from Udon to get you.

0800 101354, 55 & 56.

I have not done the Lao trip from Nong Khai for quite a while but my suggestion would be to arrange for a taxi at one of the visa shops on the Thai side of the border before heading into Lao to meet you an 2 or 3 PM the next day and take you direct to the airport in UdonThani.

Well, you could ask at the Cafe about 50 meters before the street where the Thai embassy is. Small store front, on the left walking towards the embassy. 80 m before the Pizza Company restaurant. They have a car taking you all the way from the embassy to the border and on to Udon. and I reckon the guy would do it for 900 B to the airport. Don't mess about - I went there 10 days ago. And barely reached the 17:30 bus to Pitsanulok.

Not a problem at all. Done the trip several times. Depending on time of day allow 40 min from downtown Vientienne to border. 30min processing and crossing borders. Other side plenty of mini vans and taxi's/private cars. About 45min to Udon. Taxi around 500baht