Re-entry help needed

I'm here in Thailand on my second tourist visa, been here for 120 days now, last minute plans mean I may go to KL on Monday morning. Do I need to do a re-entry before I leave or is there any way around it?

I'm only away to KL till Wednesday and then I plan to come back to Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

A re-entry permit will cost 1000 bht .

You must decide if it is worth the money . The re-entry permit will not add any days to the permission to stay date in your passport.

You will receive a 30 day visa exempt entry on return unless you can get another tourist visa.

Edited by Sceptict11

So basically if I leave on my current visa (which out of it's 60 days has 30 or so left) I will lose it. So if I return to Thailand without one and get the normal 30 days on return, can I go to immigration and get an extension on that once i'm home here?

So basically if I leave on my current visa (which out of it's 60 days has 30 or so left) I will lose it. So if I return to Thailand without one and get the normal 30 days on return, can I go to immigration and get an extension on that once i'm home here?

only 7 days

Best to get a new visa in KL probably if you have time.

Edited by harrry

7 days what?...Sceptic11 said 30 days, surely I wouldn't just get 7 days when I return.

Sceptic11 said you would receive a 30 day VISA EXEMPT ENTRY.smile.png

Such an entry is only extendable for 7 days.

Unless you qualify for a retirement or marriage visa.....

7 days what?...Sceptic11 said 30 days, surely I wouldn't just get 7 days when I return.

Sceptic11 said you would receive a 30 day VISA EXEMPT ENTRY.xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Such an entry is only extendable for 7 days.

Unless you qualify for a retirement or marriage visa.....

There are no such beasts as " retirement or marriage visas" only extensions of stay ----------however off topic and a totally different issue !

You can only extend a visa exempt entry for 7 days. I answered the question "can I go to immigration and get an extension on that once i'm home here?" Which was the question asked,

Not strictly speaking an "extension" but if you qualify for an Non-O visa based on retirement you can convert your exempt entry and then extend that non-O for a year. All subject to you meeting the requirements. I believe a similar process is possible based on marriage to a thai.

You can only extend a visa exempt entry for 7 days. I answered the question "can I go to immigration and get an extension on that once i'm home here?" Which was the question asked,

Not strictly speaking an "extension" but if you qualify for an Non-O visa based on retirement you can convert your exempt entry and then extend that non-O for a year. All subject to you meeting the requirements. I believe a similar process is possible based on marriage to a thai.

That is not an extension. That is a two step process. First change to a Non O visa under a special provision relating to OA visas then applying for and recieving an extension based on retirement. That is nothing to do though with what the topic about.

Edited by harrry

if you obtain a re-entry permit your current permission to stay stamp will be preserved, and you will be stamped back in until this date, i do not know if you could then extend that entry for a further 30 days , as you would a normal tourist visa entry, if possible this would cost 1000baht plus another 1,900baht for the extension, leaving without the re-entry and obtaining another tourist visa whilst out of thailand would give you a longer stay.

someone else may be able to answer the question of extending the re-entry stay.

Edited by steve187

I have no idea that tourist holding a tourist visa will be able to get a re-entry permit I thought only the foreigner who legally residing in Thailand.

Re-entry permits are available for all visas...they only enable the person to return during the original vality of the stay granted. You may use them for example if you wish to spend a couple of days only in Laos which means if you get a re-entry permit you can come back and stay for the rest of the time given. They cost 1000baht tho0ugh so most of the time someone would prefer to re-enter on a visa free entry if he comes from a country where a visa free entry is 30 days.

I have no idea that tourist holding a tourist visa will be able to get a re-entry permit I thought only the foreigner who legally residing in Thailand.

Re-entry permits are available for all visas...they only enable the person to return during the original vality of the stay granted. You may use them for example if you wish to spend a couple of days only in Laos which means if you get a re-entry permit you can come back and stay for the rest of the time given. They cost 1000baht tho0ugh so most of the time someone would prefer to re-enter on a visa free entry if he comes from a country where a visa free entry

is 30 days.

Did you try before? I never heard that all visa are entitled to get a re-entry permit. I thought people go to Laos for visa run ( to get a single/double entry ) tourist visa.

Re-entry permits are available for all visas...they only enable the person to return during the original vality of the stay granted. You may use them for example if you wish to spend a couple of days only in Laos which means if you get a re-entry permit you can come back and stay for the rest of the time given. They cost 1000baht tho0ugh so most of the time someone would prefer to re-enter on a visa free entry if he comes from a country where a visa free entry

is 30 days.

Did you try before? I never heard that all visa are entitled to get a re-entry permit. I thought people go to Laos for visa run ( to get a single/double entry ) tourist visa.

I will try to make my post clearer. A tourist enters Thailand with a Tourist Visa on 1 Jan and is permitted to stay until say 28 Feb.

on 10th of Jan his friend asks him to go to Laos for a week. If the tourist goes to laos his visa is finished,

If on the 10th of Jan the tourist goes to immigrration and purchases a re-entry visa he can go with his friend and when he returns to Thailand he is stamped in till the 28th Feb.

It does not extend the original 2 months but lets him complete it.