What do I need to do to buy a bike in Bangkok?

RenaeLindsay

I'm moving to Bangkok and want to get a scooter for going to the market, train station and local shopping. No long distance riding. I want to get an inexpensive scooter. I've heard about green papers? Licenses, taxes etc. really, what do I need to check, do, register, obtain to buy a bike? Any help will be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Most important is the green book, that's the bike's registration document. Without you wont be able to get it in your name or a legal number.

If you buy one new there should be no problem. Usually you need a non-immi visa and proof of residence (from immigration or embassy). The rest the dealer will do. It's also possible by yourself, but then you need to bring a friend who speaks/reads/writes Thai.

Overall it's not really complicated, just the language barrier.

• Like 1

Don't forget the helmet! If concerned about the cost of that remember that your head is as valuable as you think it is.

Riding in Bangkok is also an...experience. You didn't exactly say where you will be staying but if downtown it may behoove you to utilise the motorcycle taxis for a while to get the lay of the land so to speak. After being comfortable that you realise what you are getting yourself into and you can handle it then it will be much better than jumping in wit both feet.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What do you need to buy a bike in Thailand ... Lets see .... Balls , Guts , a sense of Living Life on the Edge , Patience , Tolerance , Eyes in the Back of your Head, Collision avoidance alarms ( jokeing), Steppenwolfe blasting "Born To Be Wild" in ya ears, a dust mask, good leathers and a VERY good Helmet .... Now get out there and RIDE !! ..."Cables up !! .. Rubber Side Down !!! " ... ENJOY !! ...thumbsup.gif ... Oh and some legal bits already mentioned above CHOKDEE .. thumbsup.gif

You don't necessarily need to ride a scooter in Bangkok on the main roads with fast moving traffic. I used the bike mainly to drive a couple of 100 meters to the next 7/11 or market. We don't know. But I'd agree, if it's for some longer distance ride through rush hour, I'd take the car or a taxi. Not the motocyc ones. Too dangerous.

Are you looking to buy new or secondhand? Registered in your name? If so, do you have the necessary visa (tourist visa doesn't cut it, need to be Non Immigrant O, Retirement visa, that sort of thing)

Unless things have changed, this is NOT true. I bought a brand new bike, had it registered in my name with a green book and everything legal on a tourist visa. The only thing that requires a 1 year type visa is the renewal of your driver's licence from a 1 year temporary to the 5 year licence.

All the bike dealer cares about is you giving them the money and a residence certificate that can be gotten at immigration for 250 baht (Jomtien). The residence certificate requires copies of various pages from your passport, two pictures and a piece of paper showing where you live. The best thing for that is a rental agreement.

And OP, a tourist visa is for two month, with a 1900 baht fee at immigration that can be extended one more month for a total of 3 months, so I don't know why you are leaving every month. If you are leaving every month then you probably only have a VOA or (Visa on Arrival) which is automatically granted when entering the country from most countries and it is only for one month.

Edited by oneday

Motorbike taxis in Bangkok are a death trap. You never know the metality of the driver, whether he is a nut case or not, then there are all the other mad arse barstads on the road. For Bangkok, I use public transport or walk.

Regional cities, the bikes are still really dangerous, but marginally less hazzardous than in Bangkok.

Foriegners with vehicles must always be on guard for the staged road accident, where the people you have supposedly run into, are there with a surprisingly instant apearance of a support group of friends and/or family as witness to your error, and vehemently demanding cash settlement.

Watch out.

• Like 1

Most important is the green book, that's the bike's registration document. Without you wont be able to get it in your name or a legal number.

If you buy one new there should be no problem. Usually you need a non-immi visa and proof of residence (from immigration or embassy). The rest the dealer will do. It's also possible by yourself, but then you need to bring a friend who speaks/reads/writes Thai.

Overall it's not really complicated, just the language barrier.

I bought my bike with a tourist visa rolleyes.gif

Motorbike taxis in Bangkok are a death trap. You never know the metality of the driver, whether he is a nut case or not, then there are all the other mad arse barstads on the road. For Bangkok, I use public transport or walk.

Regional cities, the bikes are still really dangerous, but marginally less hazzardous than in Bangkok.

Foriegners with vehicles must always be on guard for the staged road accident, where the people you have supposedly run into, are there with a surprisingly instant apearance of a support group of friends and/or family as witness to your error, and vehemently demanding cash settlement.

Watch out.

Are you serious?

Live a little!

Go to the Local immigration office and get a temporary resident certificate they last 30 days, this will also do for getting your Driving License but you will need one for the purchase of the bike and one for the license. Not sure about BKK but there is usually guys outside the immigration office that will take your picks and fill in all the paper work, you will also need proof of address, if you’re staying at a friend’s house tell them to bring their house book, if renting bring your rental agreement, if hotel a letter from them will do.

Done it myself last Nov with no issues, was in and out in less than an hour

On finance:

Valid passport and visa, Thai national guarantor, 25% deposit (less for a Thai national)

Cash:

You will need your passport to change ownership papers. Can be done at local MOT. The seller may only give you the paperwork pre signed, with a copy of their ID card. The MOT should accept that, and May even let you forge their signature as long as have the green book and a copy of their ID. (Personal experience)

Don't recommend buying a bike without a green book. Some horror stories about that. Also, mechanics in Thailand are awful. Recommend buy a new or late model bike.

Thank you so much for your help. I only have a tourist visa so I guess that won't do. I leave every month to travel in order to renew it. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

ive bought 3 ER650's on tourist visas but maybe the tv experts know something i missed?.................

What do you need to buy a bike in Thailand ... Lets see .... Balls , Guts , a sense of Living Life on the Edge , Patience , Tolerance , Eyes in the Back of your Head, Collision avoidance alarms ( jokeing), Steppenwolfe blasting "Born To Be Wild" in ya ears, a dust mask, good leathers and a VERY good Helmet .... Now get out there and RIDE !! ..."Cables up !! .. Rubber Side Down !!! " ... ENJOY !! ...thumbsup.gif ... Oh and some legal bits already mentioned above CHOKDEE .. thumbsup.gif

and I think you will need money...

Last I heard, it doesn't if you are on a tourist visa. Just proof of residence is required. For my first bike, I managed that just with a letter from my land lady. Worst case, you might have to verify your address with immigration, though I didn't have to.

I just went to immigration, showed them my triple entry tourist visa and my condo lease. Got a proof of residency

certificate. Was out the door in 15 minutes. Bought a 1 year old Nouvo. Went with the seller to the government office

that handles ownership transfers. (forget what it is called) That took at least 2 hours. That was it done.

When the bikes insurance expired I jut had the dealer I use to service the bike take care of it. Gave them my

green book paid my money, picked up my Green Book a week later. Good for a year. Its the second bike I have

bought on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

My advice, get a Thai person you trust to help you buy it and verify the documents, it will save you time and headaches...

You can get a new or second hand, but second hand are usually not that good and not taken care well. so, go for a new scooter if you can afford it.

It's true that driving a motorcycle here can be dangerous.. but don't let that put you down.

Just be very careful and alert, always looking in the mirror, keep left, get a good helmet, and take some lessons about bangkok bike riding... and about the corrupt cops where they have checkpoints to avoid them,

you will be fine!

Great topic, because I am looking to buy a bike myself. Anybody knows of a late model Kawasaki Versys, Kawasaki KLR 650 or similar bike for sell? Prefer a bike with green book that is street legal AND can handle off-road (dual sport) for long distance riding in SE Asia.

To get a bike go to shop/man on any street corner and give them money they give you the bike - it is as simple as that.

If you seek to legally own it you will need the Green Book which will show the owner's details along with the annual taxes paid. If buying an old bike which has unpaid annual taxes you MUST pay these back taxes before the bike will be registered in your name.

To get the Green Book you will need the usual copies of passport, letter from immigration proof of address etc etc. If buying from a shop they can often deal with the paperwork for you, do not believe any BS from a Thai helper that farang can not, it just means they are scamming you or don't understand the process - shop elsewhere.

To drive legally you will need to have the basic compulsory insurance.

If you have a brain you will take out an extra policy to cover theft and your medical repair bills for when you get knocked off in Bangkok traffic, but this is optional.

You can drive for three months using an International Driving Permit that is supported by a valid motorbike licence from your country, after three months you will need a Thai motorbike licence.

Wear a helmet but to be extra safe, leave the bike in the garage and take a taxi.