Bread

namdocmai

We have a new Thai bakery in the hood and i eat their bread since some weeks. No plain bread but small rolls with ham/cheese or hotdog or coconut..

I left 2 rolls in the fridge and for some reason i always was to lazy to throw them away for 4 weeksin row, we wanted to feed them to the fish but never did.

Now after 4 weeks they are on the countertop for 5 more days and still there is no mould on the rolls! The hotdog finally showed the first signs of mould today.

How can that? Is that bread still healthy?

European baked rolls have mould after 3 days for sure.

The vast majority of food prepared outside your own kitchen is not healthy.

Anti-mould agents and other preservatives - obviously present in your rolls - would be the least of your worries.

THB 8-12K per month will get you a full-time live-in cook/maid/nanny here, send her to the fresh market every other day and have all your food prepared at home if you're that concerned about health.

The savings in food expense compared to restaurants will most likely cover her salary.

• Like 1

Yes, bread is still a mystery here. I can no longer taste the sugar in the 7/11 wholewheat loaf which lasts forever. Even cooked food left out lasts for days. A batch of frozen cottage pie that the wife made last year is still good - well anyway I eat it. I don't know what the truth is, but I've only been sick from food once in 13 years.

I bake my own bread in a 3500 BHT shelftop oven, sometimes I add dried tomatoes, onions or olives to the dough. Saves me from worrying what the hell went into those oversweetened buns and "quality" cheese loaden "baconized" doughnuts they sell in "bakeries" . . . which mostly work from buying joint venture from CP ( Charoen Pokphand) corporation, a multi food processor famous for handing out "healthy" food to the common thai public.

You eat what you are.

Never mind looking closer into it if you think it tastes good. The majority does as well.

We live far away from Siam Paragon but there are excellent bakery's there with great bread. Breadtalk, Flavour of the Fields, Sun Moulin to name a few all have good bread but i never tested if it moulds. They are not cheap though, i pay 95 baht a loaf there but even the wife loves to eat wholeweat with seeds from them.

If we buy vegy (salad or red cabbage) from the local market it tastes bitter while from the OTOP (royal project) tastes perfect and fresh. Vegy from local markets is full of pesticides i guess.

We have an oven as well but i'm to lazy to bake bread. We cook our own dinners half of the week and that's enough and that costs more then eating in restaurants.

I have to admit i have never been sick in Thailand in more then 10 years. I also eat from the street-vendors and drink water from the tap.

I tried to grow a lot of food myself, without chemicals you will not harvest anything. Insects, fungus, birds to name a few are a big problem. I grow loads of fruits now but admit i also use chemicals on them.

Yesterday we ate warm bread from thai bakery's on the street. Those shops are always busy it seems and they sell loafs of bread for around 30 baht with a filling in it. They taste good we had one with loads of ham/saucage in it but it is very soft white bread and nothing fibreous in it..

Well i just wondered if the preservatives in the breads would be unhealthy to eat. Not that i am a health-freak but if i can i will eat healthy products. I know some thai that won't eat vegy, almost no fruit and start with ice-coffee and french fry's or satay in the morning and they need loads of make-up on their face (which they do of course). I just want to look healthy from what i eat.

Mold doesn't just spontaneously appear. It has to grow from spores. It's reasonable to assume that no mold spores settled on your bakery product, and therefore no mold grew.

Also, it's winter and the air is quite arid now. This provides an inhospitable environment for the growth of mold.

Yes, bread is still a mystery here. I can no longer taste the sugar in the 7/11 wholewheat loaf which lasts forever. Even cooked food left out lasts for days. A batch of frozen cottage pie that the wife made last year is still good - well anyway I eat it. I don't know what the truth is, but I've only been sick from food once in 13 years.

If you ever need any one to check and taste them cottage pies, to make sure they are OK,, I'm your man smile.png

If you ever need any one to check and taste them cottage pies, to make sure they are OK,, I'm your man smile.png

Thanks Welsh, there's nothing like some comfort food in the cold weather. Ill remember your offer next time.