AIS spam - can it be blocked?

amexpat

I don't know if this question or the answers I hope to get are CM specific but here we go.

AIS sends me promotion messages many times a day. It's very annoying because I also get real messages so I always look

to see what just came in. Often it's while I am trying to snooze or at other inconvenient times. Besides, we all hate them.

Now I am beginning to analyze the messages to see if they have words in common that might be used to flag them as spam.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Sent from my refurbished ENIAC using the ARPANET

• Like 1

I have the same problem with DTAC. It's particularly annoying when you travel and thus incur roaming charges. I phone them regularly to stop ; it stops for a day (sometimes less) and then they're back. It's a money making scam for them and illegal to do so in most other countries. But hey this is Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have the same problem with DTAC. It's particularly annoying when you travel and thus incur roaming charges. I phone them regularly to stop ; it stops for a day (sometimes less) and then they're back. It's a money making scam for them and illegal to do so in most other countries. But hey this is Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i too, get as many as 15 per day, each and every day from dtac; horoscope, sexual advice, love doctor (whatever that is), ads from coffee shop chains, skin whiting, S&P, promotions for everything under the sun. i also get as many as 5 automated calls per day which i hate. i too, went to dtac when i was in Bangkok and complained. it stopped for about 12 hours and the next day i began getting more than ever. the wife told me she gets as many as 25 per day at times. someone is definitely making money somehow.

Just download a free spam blocker.

Please tell us the name and how it works. Thanks

I have this same situation with True. I've told them several times to stop, and that works for about a week, then starts up again.

I don't know if there are any available spam blocker apps for iOS but for Android you can simply download a free application from Google Play. There are many of them, the one I use is called Postman sms spam blocker. You just download it and it does everything automatically. It has its own spam folder and all the incoming spam ends up there.

Just download a free spam blocker.

Please tell us the name and how it works. Thanks

I have this same situation with True. I've told them several times to stop, and that works for about a week, then starts up again.

I don't know if there are any available spam blocker apps for iOS but for Android you can simply download a free application from Google Play. There are many of them, the one I use is called Postman sms spam blocker. You just download it and it does everything automatically. It has its own spam folder and all the incoming spam ends up there.

Hmmmm.... I have both Android and iOS system devices... I didn't realize that one could even block out messages before your post, so in that alone I want to say 'thanks!' I'll go looking and see if I can find something that will work for me.

• Like 1

LOL! Took me less than 30 seconds! iOS7 has a blocker built into it.

Open the caller's contact page, tap information, scroll to the bottom of the screen, tap 'Block Sender/Caller'

The end. cheesy.gif

Thanks again for giving me the idea that this could even be done!

LOL! Took me less than 30 seconds! iOS7 has a blocker built into it.

Open the caller's contact page, tap information, scroll to the bottom of the screen, tap 'Block Sender/Caller'

The end. cheesy.gif

Thanks again for giving me the idea that this could even be done!

Yeah, I tried that on my android phone for AIS spam. It said "Invalid phone number". You can scan for certain keywords, though.

I've had a DTAC account for a couple of years now and only get one or two a month. There must be something you guys responded to or signed up for in the past that got you on the spammers' lists.

the only thing i can think of is that the banks are selling the numbers? i had to give my number to 2 different banks that i bank with. it was required to receive these codes to enter when using on-line banking. i've had the accounts for many years but only in the last 3 years or so activated the internet banking option.

The spam I get mostly comes from AIS itself - offers for baht/minute packages, etc.

i get about 50% from DTAC, another 40% from popular brands all over Thailand (S&P, K-Bank, Central - those 3 many) and 10% the shady ones looking to make money if you call the number back. i guess they debit the mobile credit.

You can filter what you want to keep. My biggest concern was with all the permissions it requires but either than that I took the plunge and its still going well. It can also free up memory usage. Great app

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A week ago I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab so I could learn about the Android system. I added an AIS sim card, but NEVER made any calls nor gave out the number to anyone. I even turned off the volume for the phone's ringer as I figured I'd never need it. Yesterday, while exploring the device, I discovered more than 40 phone calls had been received, from AIS as well as a few other companies, and quite a few personal calls from different numbers.

I can understand that the personal calls may well have been 'wrong numbers.' That happens. But there is NO EXCUSE for all the calls from other companies. Those would most likely have come from AIS giving out (read: selling) my number for profit. I spent 20 minutes going through each and adding them to the blocked sender list.