What did we do wrong?

Paangjang

So i was a passenger in my friends car this morning. We were driving down a small road near Muang mai market. It's a two way street. Obviously we were on the left. There was a yellow songteaw driving on his left towards us with a red songteaw overtaking him (on our side.) We could see that the red songteaw was not going to pass the yellow one in time before he would of slammed into us head on. My friend did the correct thing and slowed down, then actually stopped as we had no space to move over. Sure enough the red songteaw also had to stop as he didn't make the overtake in time. Bad judgement, what a joke.... So he waited for the yellow truck to continue then he got back on his side.

As he was passing us he stopped, rolled down his window with a face of pure rage and anger. He shouted and screamed at my friend then spat at all down the window. We couldn't hear what he was shouting as our window was up and his radio was really loud. Anyway, what in his mind did we do wrong? Why was he so mad? He was the one on the wrong side of the road, we stopped to save his from crashing into us head on? What are these idiots thinking?

Moan over.wai2.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you quite sure it is a 2-way street? And does that operate 24 hours a day?

Other than that, was it possble your friend could have pulled hard left to allow the red songthaew to pass rather than sitting in the middle of his lane?

Other than that stressed and tired drivers who are using stimulants do tend to fly off the handle and drive erratically and aggresively.

Other than that, was it possble your friend could have pulled hard left to allow the red songthaew to pass rather than sitting in the middle of his lane?

Other than that stressed and tired drivers who are using stimulants do tend to fly off the handle and drive erratically and aggresively.

Yes two way street 24hrs a day, always has been. No space for us to go anywhere, or him. Just can't imagine what he was thinking other than a loss of face. I think a lot of them are frustrated with the hard life of driving people around all day for 20baht.

You farang were on the street..wink.png

Do you think it's that bad? I think it is with the lower working class. Jealous of the opportunities we have, frustrated with their never ending circle of poverty..

In spades. Have encountered this attitude in other countries and cultures. Its your fault because your here.

• Like 2

Did he flash his lights? If he did he has the right of way and why he was upset. <and yes, I'm being sarcastic> smile.png

You mean where they flash their lights at someone before running them down like a dog in the street? No I don't think he did. But boy do some of these Thai guys have some anger issues. I've done my share of travelling and working overseas Africa and Asia, just as many of us have. I can't recall ever meeting a group of people quite as angry as Thai men. angry.gif It's like a built up frustration thing. I have a sneaky feeling they'll never change. We got a bottle of water and washed the greenie of the window...sick.gif

• Like 1

An all too typical case of lack of thought/awareness causing a ridiculous manoeuvre, followed by classic psychological projection - his wrong is yours, which happens all too often because of 'face' in Thailand.....

Don't expect any common-sense when it comes to driving here.

• Like 2

I recall red songteaw drivers being referred to as "scum" in the other thread. Seems to apply to one of them, at least....

Judging someone by the colour of their songteaw. Thats something i was taught never to do.cheesy.gif

The colour of the songteaw is irrelevant wink.png

• Like 1

Did he flash his lights? If he did he has the right of way and why he was upset. <and yes, I'm being sarcastic> smile.png

You mean where they flash their lights at someone before running them down like a dog in the street? No I don't think he did. But boy do some of these Thai guys have some anger issues. I've done my share of travelling and working overseas Africa and Asia, just as many of us have. I can't recall ever meeting a group of people quite as angry as Thai men. angry.gif It's like a built up frustration thing. I have a sneaky feeling they'll never change. We got a bottle of water and washed the greenie of the window...sick.gif

it seems like the Thai men are more easily offended by Farang than a few years ago.

My perception anyway. Could just be I am reading them better.

No idea why really. Farang can at least walk and drive much better than the chinese.

Even if I try a cheery smile it seems maybe 30% of the men still mean mug at me.

I am fitter and more muscular than a few years ago so maybe its just insecurity.

• Like 1

The other day I heard a horn honk and had just enough time to pull my 4 year old daughter out of harm's way as a Vigo rumbled past. Before you say what were you doing on the road; we were at a carnival and the road was full of people with kids. Prick never even touched his brakes.

• Like 1

Good point. I know some streets that are one way for part of a day and how to tell is beyond me.sad.png

Good point. I know some streets that are one way for part of a day and how to tell is beyond me.sad.png

As you don't drive a car here, no wonder it's beyond you wink.png

• Like 1

An all too typical case of lack of thought/awareness causing a ridiculous manoeuvre, followed by classic psychological projection - his wrong is yours, which happens all too often because of 'face' in Thailand..... Don't expect any common-sense when it comes to driving here.

I've seen it countless times in the USA. Someone makes a stupid blunder and then "flips the bird" at the witness or aggrieved party.

The other day I heard a horn honk and had just enough time to pull my 4 year old daughter out of harm's way as a Vigo rumbled past. Before you say what were you doing on the road; we were at a carnival and the road was full of people with kids. Prick never even touched his brakes.

This is exactly the type of anger and hate im talking about. Who in their right mind would want to kill a 4 year old? Agree with me here, a lot of Thai's have a lot of anger built up inside them... No wonder they shoot each other so much, according to statistics more than any other country in the world...

Can you please cite the source of those statistics> I'm sure that this assertion is false.

Edited by quidnunc