jet ski scams

phycokiller

I gave up watching and warning....Senseless... Nothing will ever improve in this town or country. A shame what has become of the exotic and friendly LOS within the short span of 25 yrs. that I have been coming here. Case closed. MS>

I can't even begin to imagine this place 25 yrs ago. Pattaya has grown into a buzy seaside resort, that's for sure. And that is not a bad thing, I wouldn't want to live in sleepy fishing village.

But the violent street crime started getting serious about 4-5 years ago, yes? And in padt 2 years, violent crime has risen sharply.

I believe many crimes go unreported, I and my friend were assaulted over a bar bill dispute, we both needed stiches, we spoke to a cop on the street, trying to describe what happened, all we got was free ride in police truck to a hospital. This was my 2nd winter in Thailand, so I wasnt surprised the cop showed no interest why 2 foreigners are bleeding on the corner of 2nd rd and South rd. That was in 2003. If similar situation would take place now, I would just take a taxiboy to hospital, if able to walk on my own.

The local bad guys and girls know this very well, that even if charged, there are no serious repercussions, drugging and then robbing a victim is no big deal in Thai justice system.

Taxiboys casually beating a tourist almost to a coma goes unpunished, cops work with taxiboys, and offending taxiboys are somehow never found, alltho everybody knows who they are, which soi corner is the spot they hang out.

But I still come here every winter, I dont like any neighbouring country. If it becomes unbearable, it will be Marocco in the future. Ugly and boring, but with few upsides.

It will be interesting to observe what next few years will be like here.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it takes is sitting outside Starbucks or Mike's on Beach Rd for less than 30 minutes to see the jet ski mafia in action. If Mr Cool is so adamant about helping tourists, perhaps he should plant himself there for a few minutes to see for himself.

Oh cmon, there is no way Mr Cool doesn't know how the game is played

How to confirm the city/police are on the take: Not a single warning sign on beach road. Some (but not always) some construction warnings so you don't trip or fall in a hole (!), but never a scam warning. Hmmm....

Visited Chang Mai recently and was surprised to see warning signs in the Temple grounds of every one we visited warned against well dressed scamming tour guides posing as "official" temple guides so maybe they care more for there tourist in Chang Mia than they do in Pattaya

• Like 1

What I find funny is on the local news you will see a picture of a Falange stealing 500b from a store multiple times a day and the only time you see any Thai in the news is with murder or a shake down arrest for drugs etc.

Do the tourist police actually work to resolve issues? Can they really do anything?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I actually saw a jet ski drift and hit a boat, of course they made a fuss, they must have been thanking their lucky stars, their first legit damage. Still unfair though, 2 boats close to the beach, wavey conditions,inexperienced rider, what do you expect. Jet ski operators should be liable unless rider is clearly negligent

We were down Jomtien last week outside The Jomtien Boathouse on the beach and there were 3 young Russian guys who who scammed, normal procedure as soon as they came back to the beach on the jet skis there were 3 Thai guys looking at the jet-ski and shaking their heads etc, I heard a couple sitting behind us ask each other 'how much do you think this time?' so it was obviously an ongoing thing, the white guys ended upi handing over a few thousands. I thought it was only Patts beach, obviously not.

• Like 1

Most of the jet ski operators in Pattaya are legit, there are a few scammers though. Most of the incidents the renter admits to doing damage but do not have enough money to cover. The operators will usually start high and accept roughly 25% of what they originally ask. Some give a fair price and will not budge.

• Like 1

Do the tourist police actually work to resolve issues? Can they really do anything?

The Tourist Police's mandate isn't to protect the tourists, it's to police them. To stop them causing trouble for the Thais trying to rip them off. Anyone who's been in LOS a number of years knows that
  • Like 2

I will say this one more time despite the expected vitriolic responses .... I once worked at Soi 9 police station volunteer desk (have since stopped doing that) and saw many, many of the disputes that ended up there. A very large proportion of the disputes involved real damage - often considerable - and the issue was always that the renters offered ridiculous compensations like 500 baht and/or no acceptable compromise could be reached. The "scams" on the beach that never reach the station (which is the last place the operators want to be) are not widespread even if regular and they are extremely difficult to judge in terms of whether real damage has been done, what is proper compensation if damage has been done and how to resolve things. It is a City Hall issue and until proper regulation is put in place the issues will remain.

What a load of garbage. All you need to do is hang around Beach Road for a few hours to see scams going down...they are real, the damage is made up and they certainly are widespread...stop talking rubbish or go somewhere else. Also, scams do reach the police station, but the police are part of the scam so it won't help the victims by going to the police station.

How can you make up damage either it is damaged or it is not.

Instead of all these posts about scams why does no one ever mention look the machine over before you use it and point out the already existing damage. A common sense solution to most of the problem yet it takes away the ability of the poster to Thai bash so they don't mention it. They are more interested in Thai bashing than they are in helping the potential victim.

You have documentation that the police are part of the scam petercool was on site in the police station and saw what he reports he did not read it off of some forum.

Did it ever occur to you that you saw all those scams on the beach because the scammers did not want to go to the police? That fit's right in with what petercool said.

• Like 1

I will say this one more time despite the expected vitriolic responses .... I once worked at Soi 9 police station volunteer desk (have since stopped doing that) and saw many, many of the disputes that ended up there. A very large proportion of the disputes involved real damage - often considerable - and the issue was always that the renters offered ridiculous compensations like 500 baht and/or no acceptable compromise could be reached. The "scams" on the beach that never reach the station (which is the last place the operators want to be) are not widespread even if regular and they are extremely difficult to judge in terms of whether real damage has been done, what is proper compensation if damage has been done and how to resolve things. It is a City Hall issue and until proper regulation is put in place the issues will remain.

What a load of garbage. All you need to do is hang around Beach Road for a few hours to see scams going down...they are real, the damage is made up and they certainly are widespread...stop talking rubbish or go somewhere else. Also, scams do reach the police station, but the police are part of the scam so it won't help the victims by going to the police station.

And what a load of garbage from YOU. How do you know the scams are happening in full force? You don't I suspect.

• Like 1

Nice tries by some to discredit the key point. You obviously have never sat in the police station and seen any of these cases come in and how the police deal simply as explainers of the legal options if damage is actually seen on the skis. They are considered as civil cases and in five years I never witnessed any policeman take sides with anyone within the station. No one is denying that scams are occurring but real damage cases do exist and those make up the bulk of all those disputes I ever saw.

just ignore this "petercool", he is either a liar or a moron.

obviously there is always actual damage, the point is it is pre-existing 99% of the time and even if it wasn't, the extorted money is grossly disproportionate to the actual cost of repair in all but the most extreme cases.

in addition, physical intimidation is always involved, physical assault is often involved, it is always about extortion/kidnap on some level and the scammers should be arrested and put behind bars. money should be paid as compensation to the victims, not the other way around i.e.. to the scammers and the police.

i have seen many scams and i know exactly how it works and so far i have never seen any damage caused by a jet-ski renter, it is always pre-existing and usually superficial. what i have seen as i said above is intimidation, assault, extortion and kidnap, all with the open and clear cooperation of the police.

maybe if this "petercool" had been observing the actual scams instead of just sitting in the police station he might have learned something but he hasn't learned a dam_n thing and has no idea what he is talking about.

Maybe you out to read what he said before commenting. He admitted that there are real scams happening in a certain area. You left that part out. How many cases have you witnessed in the police station where the scammer paid the police off? In fact have you ever been in a police station when a case came in there?

Do you patrol the beach looking for scams or just sit in the one area where petercool has already admitted it is happening and you conveniently left out to bolster your Thai bashing.

• Like 1

So refreshing to read about a new scam in Pattaya ,who would ever of thought of a jet ski scam ,with any luck this thread will go on and on and on and on and on and on sorry losing the will to live.

How could the OP have done a forum search and not have come up with anything? This topic has been beaten to death and had probably one of the longest running threads here ever.

believe it or not there are new arrivals that read this forum as well, not just the grumpy old mens club

Actually I'm one of the new arrivals here and I'm quite pleased that this came up "again", I almost rented a jetski Dec 2012 but decided against it as all the "good ones" were out, just as well I guess, reading about this, it's a shame as I enjoyed renting them in the past and obviously I was lucky not to get caught.

Edited by luis888

even been on british t.v. about this scam best option just don't hire a jet ski!!

That is totally wrong.

I remember being down the beach many times watching the scams being carried out.

In fact I was even sitting on the beach with my gal one day when they scammed a bunch of middle class Thai kids. And believe me it was disgusting the way they surrounded them and intimated a bunch of young girls.

Wake up mate just take a walk along the beach and watch the farce in action.

And of course the police are silent partners with many of these operators as well.

Heck I often see the police chatting with these guys and laughing and carrying on.

It is blatant extortion nothing more nothing less.

I sit the southside of Royal Garden everyday, from 4pm onwards get ready for the extortion.

They use the same damage below the waterline over & over again.

Peter your post is the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever read on TV.

Seems 1) you never read my posts or 2) you did you not read them in their entirety or 3) didn't understand them.

i have read this topic and am amazed at how silly many tourist and expats hanging around the beach area can be . i have read the comments from petercool and he is spot on with his accessment of what is happening at the moment on the beach regarding jet ski rentals . maybe some time ago you would have seen more problems and scams on the beach but today this is at minimum . there were 3 group of renters who did operate scams. one of whom was sent to prison the other received warnings and fines . now most of the problems are from customers who do cause damage to the jet ski . petercool seems to have first hand knowledge of what is happening rather than listen to the story of those who have consumed to many chang.yes the jet ski renters sometime do get agressive , how would you feel if some idiot damaged your property.

get some glasses,everytime i go to Pattaya i see the scams happening,they should be ashamed on what they do to tourist,the thai locals should run them out of town for giving them a bad reputation,clean up Pattaya and get some professional operators who wont rip off the people,these operators send these tourist home with bad memories and never want to return to Thailand again.

Paddy, you are seeing double when I can assure you I am singular with just one membership on Thai Visa. Not that you will read this any more carefully than you have read any other posts. At no time did I ever say scams are not happening. I was pointing out with some 5 years experience that many disputes involve real damage and that most of those are admitted to by the renters. Why everyone thinks I said more than that escapes me.

i have read this topic and am amazed at how silly many tourist and expats hanging around the beach area can be . i have read the comments from petercool and he is spot on with his accessment of what is happening at the moment on the beach regarding jet ski rentals . maybe some time ago you would have seen more problems and scams on the beach but today this is at minimum . there were 3 group of renters who did operate scams. one of whom was sent to prison the other received warnings and fines . now most of the problems are from customers who do cause damage to the jet ski . petercool seems to have first hand knowledge of what is happening rather than listen to the story of those who have consumed to many chang.yes the jet ski renters sometime do get agressive , how would you feel if some idiot damaged your property.

What a load of boll***ks...the problem isn't at a minimum, it goes on and all day every day along Beach Road...I know, because I see it every single time I am there....btw, haven't drank anything today, don't drink Chang...and by the way, "petercool" can't have first hand knowledge because he used to sit inside the police station, not out on Beach Road observing the real world as opposed to the world of lies being told by the scammers/thugs/criminals and their friends the police...

Anyway, I see you joined Thaivisa today....and I see you write just like "petercool and I see you say the same things as "petercool"...hang on little man...you are "petercool"...LOL....how totally transparent...DOUBLE LOL....

wow amazing to see how observant you are , yes i only joined today as i wished to comment on the stupit recurring remarks , and to prove my point you once again GOT IT WRONG i have no connection with this petercool other than to agree with his points but again you are jumping to the wrong conclusions .you hear these stupit discussions night after night by the chang mongers in many local bars . why dont you try to have a closer look at things before making comments. or talking about things you know nothing about.