I want to put a DASH CAM in my car..

khrab

A capacitor is this uselss thing that records for 10 seconds whan car is off ?

The purpose is to have time to save the file after a power failure such as may occur in an accident. Not intended to be used as a portable camera.

But what if you're injured and can't download for a period of time?

I suggest you wait until you're better...?

Or ask a friend to do it for you (if you have any trustworthy/clued up enough) whilst you're incapacitated... Excuse the pun.

There are also units on the market with a solid state memory... Another pointless feature as the files could be lost or seriously difficult to obtain if the camera is borked during a hard impact.

Edited by Porkster

Totally agree that it's so stupid to buy a dashcam without screen.

You will be locked by the cops before you have time to show the video on any other device.

Ridiculous to think any other way.

Actually the units with WiFi will do the job as you can immediately playback on your phone or tablet without any fuss.

I'm seriously considering the G1W-C which is capacitor based rather than battery and doesn't degrade (battery) in the Thailand heat. The reviews have been very good for the price, features and performance. And it has a screen. smile.png

G1W-C Review

The car number plates couldn't be read on the films... because lights were set too high?

A capacitor is this uselss thing that records for 10 seconds whan car is off ?

The purpose is to have time to save the file after a power failure such as may occur in an accident. Not intended to be used as a portable camera.

A battery is anyway better.

That's your opinion.

Pros and cons with both

A battery WILL die after a year or two, a capacitor won't.

Ok, so you get a few more minutes (10 or so) disconnected time with a battery unit.

But if your using it outside of your car then you're likely to have it plugged into your PC to transfer files (if you don't have an SD slot)

If you do need to take photos of the incident, are you really going to unclip the dash cam for that or use your phone?

The more recent capacitor powered types have up to date components and capacitor charge holding times are just as good as the battery ones, if not better because the lifetime is far longer as a capacitor rarely degrades over the years like batteries do.

That's my opinion from years of using a dashcam

• Like 2

Yes but with a capacitor you do not record when you car it parked.

I record during hours when the car is parked thanks to external battery.

I have a blackvue cam which has a capacitor. I also have the the blackvue power magic for it which allows the cam to still record when the vehicle is parked.

I believe the power magic could possibly be used for other capacitor based cams devices as well.

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/power-magic-pro.html

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Why on earth would you be doing that? Or have you pissed someone off and you're worried they're going to take it out on your car?

The topic is dash cams and the original idea of dash cams are designed to record when when your driving.

What if your car is damaged at the back or out of view of the dashcam?

How long does it record for?

I have a blackvue cam which has a capacitor. I also have the the blackvue power magic for it which allows the cam to still record when the vehicle is parked.

I believe the power magic could possibly be used for other capacitor based cams devices as well.

If I needed the dashcam recording when the car is stationary for some strange reason I wouldn't be messing around and wasting money on external battery packs, I'd just wire it in to a permanent supply from the car.

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

• Like 1

Buy a GoPro action camera with optional LCD clamp on screen... Not terribly expensive, has all kinds of mounting options / devices and I cannot imagine it could not do the job... These camera record everything else - on helmets, chest mounts, dog and cat mounts, motorcycle mounts, quadcopter mounts.. ?!?!?!?

Edited by JDGRUEN

If I needed the dashcam recording when the car is stationary for some strange reason I wouldn't be messing around and wasting money on external battery packs, I'd just wire it in to a permanent supply from the car.

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

It is not an external battery pack. it is a module that hardwires in between the cam and the vehicle. It monitors the battery for low power levels then shuts down power to the cam so you do not get a flat battery.

The function of the camera I purchased it does not actually record whilst parked.

when it sense no activity for 5 minutes it goes into "parking mode" and comes alive again when the G sensor sensors activity. that could be a door opening or someone simply bumping the vehicle.

Anywho enjoy your K.I.S.S theory when you discover you have a flat battery.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

It is not an external battery pack. it is a module that hardwires in between the cam and the vehicle. It monitors the battery for low power levels then shuts down power to the cam so you do not get a flat battery.

The function of the camera I purchased it does not actually record whilst parked.

when it sense no activity for 5 minutes it goes into "parking mode" and comes alive again when the G sensor sensors activity. that could be a door opening or someone simply bumping the vehicle.

A flat battery? LoL, That ain't never gonna happen is it?

Come on! Get real!

How long are you leaving your car parked up for? 6 Months? A Year even???

When was the last time you had your car or even battery serviced to even have to think like that to warrant such a gimmick?

I know my and any other regularly serviced battery would last an age to power the minuscule load that the camera draws...

You do know how much power the average car battery holds right?

Here's another one for you

Don't forget the 6 P's aye... We're talking technical here... :)

AnyHOW, enjoy your gimmicky gadgets that Singapore is so full of... Gotta love the Chinese for that [emoji38]

So you are happy to have your car sitting there with a constant power drain that can reduce the battery below the starting threshold capacity.... Good for you.

And me "gimmicky gadgets" are neither from China or singapore.... thanks for the dig at me though... Would love to know who your other TV posting ID is as your style is very familiar, I just can't put my finger on it yet but with the insults flowing you will give yourself up sooner or later.

Edited by Spoonman

As for catching the number plate if somebody hitting your car (due to the bump setting off the Good shock sensor)... By the time the camera has powered up and started recording THEY'RE GONE! Bye bye loser! LoL

So you get nothing on video

And if by chance you do get something, T.I.T.... Are the police really bothered?

There are a lot of cameras around, however the one I have used is called Visiondrive and I have had it for 5 yrs now and been involved in an accident where another car side swiped me and the camera proved I was not at fault and the excess was dropped. All bills paid by the other party. Camera paid for itself straight away. It was something I thought would be a waste of money and I would never use, how wrong I was. They are probably dearer now, but worth the cash.

If you go to this link and search around for the Visiondrive camera you want, it will be there. The site also tells you all about the different types of cameras they have. The camera is about as big as a Cigarette packet. I ue mine in Thailand and in Australia, it has a quick release mechanism, really great and crystal clear. The only thing you do is change the time and date from country to country. This is done on your computer on the USB Card.

They will also insure/track mail to you to Thailand if that is where you are, they are situated at the Gold Coast Queensland Australia. See their link below.

Hope this info helps you.

http://visiondrive.net.au/

Edited by OZEMADE

Best site in Thailand is thaiblackbox.com

He (Pee Joe) cannot speak Thai so you'll have to get your Thai mrs to talk to him, though he will chat/text in English as he has a English understanding friend that helps him I believe?

You can transfer the money to his account via ATM and he personally guarantees his products for a 10 day no hassle exchange, that's on top of the manufacturer's guarantee.

He posts his products nationwide via EMS which can be tracked with the. Track and Trace App on your phone etc...

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

That would be the sensible approach for 24/7 camera watchdog capability. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

Ah right, understood, a power management module. So one still has 24/7 watchdog capability pending the modules' protocols. Nice.

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

Ah right, understood, a power management module. So one still has 24/7 watchdog capability pending the modules' protocols. Nice.

But Garry

These external power controllers activate via a shock sensor, I.e. Park mode

So if the car does get knocked by a clumsy driver in the supermarket car park for instance, it takes a few seconds for the unit to wake up and give power to the camera, added to the time the camera takes to start recording it's given the culprit enough time to get out of there! As most people do when they know they've hit someone's else's car...

Pointless in my opinion

• Like 1

K.I.S.S. [emoji6]

It is a handy feature.

click on the image to read it.

post-87976-0-53952700-1404122751_thumb.j

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/faq.html

Edited by Spoonman

It really is a waste of time and money having this thing installed in Thailand especially... As mentioned before, this is Thailand so are the police really going to be bothered about a little scratch on the bumper?

By the time you've paid them their 2,000 baht for coming out, if they do at all, you could've claimed on the insurance with an excess of 1,000 baht or had it touched up by a bodyshop for the same amount...

It really is a useless feature here and not worth the bother.