using Udon tap water for cooking rice/beans

patient

is this safe?

i use tap water here to brush my teeth and wash vegetables/rice but can i actually boil rice with this water?

i dont have a water filter just have to buy drinking water - weight and cost are both issues as i walk to the apartment.

cheers

You should be safe, cooking/boiling sterilize the water.

However, it might be a good idea to install a water filter to have your drinking water, then you can be sure at least it went thru a filter. Shouldnt set you back too much.

Check with your apartment neighbors....many places offer water delivery services as well. Cheap. Not in Udon (Nong Khai) but deliveries cost us 8 baht per bottle (100 baht deposit on the bottle).

Also when in a pinch we have used the tap water and believe it or not, it is about the same if not better than some of the cheaper bottled waters available. I think you might know the ones, about 5 baht a bottle with the annoying plastic pull tab around the top. Rather drink my own urine....

Boiling the water might sterilize it but it does not remove any chemical contamination, in fact it might concentrate it.

In many areas there is fertilizer, pesticide, and petrochemical contamination, before I consume any municipality sourced water, I would have it tested, and repeat testing periodically

, just because a water source is safe today it does not mean that it will be safe tomorow

The tap water is ok sanitarily but at least in my tessaban has a lot of sediment in so I use bottled water.

The water you can get cheap in the large bottles is nothing more than filtered tap water as some people may encounter when there was a chlorine peak in the tap water, some time later this appears in the big bottles - but still cheaper than a water filter if you don't continuously break the bottles as it happens to me ;-)

So now I use the 6 l bottles for 30.- for cooking and drinking.

Bye,

Derk