One way ticket to Bangkok

Hi,

Am planning to book a one way ticket to Bangkok.

Will arive as tourist and plan to stay couple of weeks to sort out private issues.

Is it possible to enter thailand and thus pass immigration without an onward/return ticket ?

I will fly with Condor airlines.....anybody know if they will let me check in and board the plane without onward/return ticket ?

thanks ...

If you don't have a visa and don't have a ticket out of the country within 30 days you can be denied boarding a flight on any airline.

I was asked when I left England in October if I had a visa as I had an open return ticket. When I questioned it was told no Visa no flight, that was on EVA AIR.

From my recent experience with Emirates they let me board with a one way ticket to Phuket but only with a valid visa, in my case a tourist visa (not to be confused with a tourist visa exemption). My mate didn't have a visa and had to show his return ticket and a return date within the first 30 days. So I'd get a visa if I were you.

Edited by BillyBobzTeeth
  • Like 2

Many airlines don't require a return ticket, so it is worth checking with Condor airlines.

Immigration in Bangkok do not require a return ticket as proven many times.

If the airline do ask for a return ticket you can always say that you will be departing Thailand by land or sea. That seems to work for many people.

• Like 1

Many airlines don't require a return ticket, so it is worth checking with Condor airlines.

If the airline do ask for a return ticket you can always say that you will be departing Thailand by land or sea. That seems to work for many people.

A return ticket is not a mandatory requirement ever. A onward ticket is also acceptable.

All airlines can and often do ask for a ticket out the country if you don't have visa.

I am skeptical that just saying you are going to be leaving by land or sea would be acceptable.

I've flown many times from Sydney to Thailand on Jetstar with a one way ticket. Every time, they have asked to see Thai visa in my passport or ticket out of Thailand. The one time I didn't have a visa, I just had a cheapo Air Asia from BKK to KL which I didn't use.

Not my experience at all, I have found out the opposite of what you claim..

A return ticket is not a mandatory requirement ever. A onward ticket is also acceptable.

All airlines can and often do ask for a ticket out the country if you don't have visa.

I am skeptical that just saying you are going to be leaving by land or sea would be acceptable.

I have roughly a dozen people per year for the last eight years who fly into Thailand for a few days without a visa or a return ticket or an onward reservation, except on my yacht. We then sail to Malaysia for the Langkawi or Raja Muda Regattas. They all buy their own tickets and I don't know of anyone ever having any trouble at the boarding stage. One guy was asked once ( Flying from Australia, I don't know which airline) and he says he told the check in staff that he was leaving on a yacht. So no problem.

I am retired from the travel industry, so I speak from personal experience, not just from the armchair. I now live in thailand but I have flown into Thailand, dozens of times, before getting a retirement visa, without a reurn ticket and never been asked for one.

So, I suggest you check with the airline for the practical answer as opposed to the theoretical one.

• Like 2

Have flown in to Thailand many many times without an onward ticket/return ticket/visa. The only time I have ever had trouble was with Qantas, Jetstar (same thing really) and BA (they also use Qantas check in staff at Sydney). Had to book a fully refundable ticket with another airline that I cancelled as soon as I touched down in BKK.

Singapore Air, Thai airways, Emirates, Air Asia, Tiger and some other airlines never said a word to me about it

• Like 1

I have been living in Bangkok for over 5 years, travelling here as my home base working for a HK software company. I have no work permit as i don't work here, I choose to live here as gf is here, and I travel in on a visa exemption each time. I am rarely here more that 2 weeks and at times I fly into BKK as the second portion of a return ticket having originated out of BKK and back, therefore I have no return ticket. Qantas is the only airline where I have had to prove an onward flight, departing Sydney. The only time I did not have a return ticket organised, I was asked by Qantas for the outward flight and when I did not have it, the check in lady asked her supervisor for clearance. I was given clearance and they explained that the airline could be fined $5000 if a traveller arrives without onward flight, I guess they assess the situation to determine risk.

These days I have an itinerary that I just change the dates showing an outboard flight and repackage it as a PDF file. I show it on my computer screen as I don't print it and this has worked for over 3 years now.

• Like 2

Immigration will ask you (if stopped) how will you pay for you stay here,

they asked me that question, i showed them a wallet full of US cash, Australian cash, Euro cash and 2 credit cards,

stamp, stamp, allowed to go.

• Like 1

Here's Condor's website:http://www.condor.com/us/help-contact/contact.jsp

They don't have to transport you with a one way ticket, which is up to the person at the check in counter. So please check with them first.

If they let you board and Thai immigration wouldn't let you in they'd have to take you back where you came from.

If you've already got a one way ticket, a ticket from Bangkok to Vientiane.Laos won't be that expensive and you could get your visa extension. -wai2.gif .

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

It's at the discretion of the airline (who are Condor?) whether they let you fly. In the very unlikely event Thai Immigration deny you entry the airline is heavily fined and has to return you to your point of origin.

I have never had a problem with any airline on any type of visa but if you are worried then, as posted above, buy a cheapie Air Asia to KL or similar.

• Like 1

They don't have to transport you with a one way ticket, which is up to the person at the check in counter. So please check with them first.

If they let you board and Thai immigration wouldn't let you in they'd have to take you back where you came from.

If you've already got a one way ticket, a ticket from Bangkok to Vientiane.Laos won't be that expensive and you could get your visa extension. -wai2.gif .

Beat me to it!

You posted while I was writing but correct info except you missed out that the airline would be heavily fined if the OP is denied entry - the main reason they are cautious.

• Like 1

Well here are the rules from the Thai embassy web site:

"Australian passport holders (and nationals from 50 designated countries) may travel to Thailand for the purpose of tourism without a visa. They will be permitted to stay for a period not exceed 30 days on each visit provided they arrive by air and have a confirmed ticket out of Thailand (by air, land, or sea) within 30 days."

If you are from one of the 50 designated countries (look up the Thai Embassy site where you are) this applies to you. But you do need a CONFIRMED ticket out - not necessarily a return ticket. If you try to check in without proof of this the airline will most likely refuse to take you.

As others have said get a confirmed ticked to a nearby country on a low cost carrier but make sure you can get your money back if you cancel.

The fact that very few passengers are asked by immigration for proof of onward travel does not mean that it wont happen to you. I went through Thai customs for years with more than the duty free alcohol allowance then one day they checked me and I had to surrender 2 good bottles of wine. The rules in Thailand CAN be applied.

Beat me to it!

You posted while I was writing but correct info except you missed out that the airline would be heavily fined if the OP is denied entry - the main reason they are cautious.

I'd like to apologize. But who gives a flying Kangaroo about an airline like Condor, or Lufthansa, if they've to pay a fine? Not even the pope.-w00t.gif

Non-immigrants and visa holders only.

Tourist must have round-trip tickets.

If you have any valid visa or re-entry permit a ticket out of the country is not required.

If you don't have a visa a ticket out it is required.

• Like 1

Well here are the rules from the Thai embassy web site:

"Australian passport holders (and nationals from 50 designated countries) may travel to Thailand for the purpose of tourism without a visa. They will be permitted to stay for a period not exceed 30 days on each visit provided they arrive by air and have a confirmed ticket out of Thailand (by air, land, or sea) within 30 days."

If you are from one of the 50 designated countries (look up the Thai Embassy site where you are) this applies to you. But you do need a CONFIRMED ticket out - not necessarily a return ticket. If you try to check in without proof of this the airline will most likely refuse to take you.

As others have said get a confirmed ticked to a nearby country on a low cost carrier but make sure you can get your money back if you cancel.

The fact that very few passengers are asked by immigration for proof of onward travel does not mean that it wont happen to you. I went through Thai customs for years with more than the duty free alcohol allowance then one day they checked me and I had to surrender 2 good bottles of wine. The rules in Thailand CAN be applied.

Glad that nobody had to whine about wine.-coffee1.gif

Make it easy and buy a return ticket. A single back from Thailand is more expensive. I want in the past several times with a one way, never aloud boarding ... Condor, Singapore, Swissair, Swiss, etc. Even diferent countries ... with a valid visa in passport.

"I am skeptical that just saying you are going to be leaving by land or sea would be acceptable. "

And at that point, if you were attempting to check in for your flight, what would you do if you were refused boarding? Unless you had the time, the money and a ticket agent available to book some outbound flight you could be "up the creek" at that point.

One time when I attempted to buy a one way ticket from the UAE because I was I wanted to book an onward flight once in Thailand, the Thai Airways agent in Al Ain wouldn't even sell it to me. Same agent a few years later when I had the O-A visa, no problem for the one way ticket.

I'm married with a Thai Lady. I work in an American World Wide Cruise Company and I do 4 months contract. I return to thailand after this period and usually I stay for two months in holiday and then back to work. My concern is that my company book always one way ticket due to the fact that I could be assign to a different part of the world during my holidays time, so they book my return flight ticket on the last minute. What usually happen is that the Company send me the return ticket 2 weeks before the end of my holidays, so I never have a return ticket at the time I fly from US or EU to Thailand.

Anyone can give me some advise what the right thing I should do to avoid problem at the check in?

I'm married with a Thai Lady. I work in an American World Wide Cruise Company and I do 4 months contract. I return to thailand after this period and usually I stay for two months in holiday and then back to work. My concern is that my company book always one way ticket due to the fact that I could be assign to a different part of the world during my holidays time, so they book my return flight ticket on the last minute. What usually happen is that the Company send me the return ticket 2 weeks before the end of my holidays, so I never have a return ticket at the time I fly from US or EU to Thailand.

Anyone can give me some advise what the right thing I should do to avoid problem at the check in?

Save a copy of an itinerary into a .pdf file and then change the dates when needed using photoshop or something and print that out

OR

show a valid credit card at check-in, which will also be accepted

OR

tell them you have a booking with another airline but didn't bring the itinerary with you (this has worked for me before, but the former two options are safer)

OR

show a wallet full of cash

Generally speaking a visitor from a rich country is far less likely to be asked for an onward ticket than a citizen of some poor African or South Asian country. In the latter case, both Thai immigration and check-in agents at the country of origin WILL ask visitors from such countries for onward tickets, proof of sufficient funds and Thai immigration will also ask for a yellow fever certificate from African and some South American visitors (I have seen it all before).

• Like 1

Immigration will ask you (if stopped) how will you pay for you stay here,

they asked me that question, i showed them a wallet full of US cash, Australian cash, Euro cash and 2 credit cards,

stamp, stamp, allowed to go.

I believe that there is a rule stating that everyone entering Thailand should have the equivalent of 20,000 THB on them. That said, I've never been asked to show the colour of my money when being stamped in at BKK!

I have roughly a dozen people per year for the last eight years who fly into Thailand for a few days without a visa or a return ticket or an onward reservation, except on my yacht. We then sail to Malaysia for the Langkawi or Raja Muda Regattas. They all buy their own tickets and I don't know of anyone ever having any trouble at the boarding stage. One guy was asked once ( Flying from Australia, I don't know which airline) and he says he told the check in staff that he was leaving on a yacht. So no problem.

I am retired from the travel industry, so I speak from personal experience, not just from the armchair. I now live in thailand but I have flown into Thailand, dozens of times, before getting a retirement visa, without a reurn ticket and never been asked for one.

So, I suggest you check with the airline for the practical answer as opposed to the theoretical one.

I have and most from experience with 6 to 7 flights a year over the last 10 years before I mover here for good. Not all with the same airline. By the way it is not an airline rule it is a thai immigration rule. If someone shows up with out a visa with out a on-ward ticket they can be refused entry and the burden is on the airline who flew that person to Thailand to fly them back.