Android 2.4 ,how easy is it to update to 4.2 ?

worgeordie

I have a small android tv box that only has Android 2.4,how

easy is it to update to Android 4.2 for a complete noob?

Also where do i find the update?

This box is the same as the TOT MeTv box ,that has

Android 4.01,is it possible to put the TOT IPTV onto

this box?,also has anyone successfully updated the

TOT box to a more recent Android OS ?

Thanks,regards Worgeordie

You can try entering the model# of the device and the word 'Forum' or 'ROM' into google (or other search engine) and see if there are any active hacking or firmware modding communities based around the device.

Generally, most devices only receive one or two incremental version updates and then the hardware (size ROM, RAM, CPU/GPU) becomes a limiting factor. I have a mobile phone that started off with 2.2.1 and I've been able to use custom ROMs from the modding community to play with more recent versions. Recently got it flashed with a nice version of KitKat 4.4 called BeanStalk loosely based on cyanogenmod.

I also bought a googleTV/android box recently and have a custom rom now for it, but because it's running a chinese rockchip processor the custom rom developers are running into problems getting access to open-source drivers so have a lot of hacked code that tends to crash when playing long video streams.

If you really want to become a nutcase you can probably compile your own custom rom, maybe even a custom kernel, as this behaviour seems to be the modern equivalent of playing of Dungeons & Dragons.

• Like 1

No android 2.4 exists, perhaps you meant 2.3?

There is no way you can upgrade unless they have a compatible rom which i highly doubt it.

You cant put tot iptv rom onto another box and there is no software update on tot iptv yet.

Hi Muratremix, Android 2.4 is called Ice Cream Sandwich, lots of entries when

I google it.

regards Worgeordie

There is no way you can upgrade unless they have a compatible rom which i highly doubt it.

You cant put tot iptv rom onto another box and there is no software update on tot iptv yet.

I google it.

regards Worgeordie

There was confusion at the time by manufactures trying to 2nd guess Google. Android 4.0 is ICS. Android 2.2 is Froyo and Android 2.3 is Gingerbread and 2.3.3, also Gingerbread, was released but not 2.4. That was an assumption by some manufacturers that the next would be 2.4 but they were wrong and Google came out with 2.3.3 instead.

• Like 1

Just shows what I know,thanks for making that clear.

I thought Android would be easy to fiddle about with,

but along with Linux its all beyond my ken,along with

computers in general,waiting for the day,they are 1

wire plug in like TV, switch on and away you go !

regards Worgeordie

I google it.

regards Worgeordie

ICS is Android 4.0, not 2.4

After 2.3, there is 3.0 for tablets and 3.1 / 3.2 versions designed for tablets.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about android version on my device, just use it until it break down.

ICS is Android 4.0, not 2.4

After 2.3, there is 3.0 for tablets and 3.1 / 3.2 versions designed for tablets.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about android version on my device, just use it until it break down.

Some applications require certain Android versions. I guess that's one of the main reasons to upgrade / buy new hardware.

Just the other day I went to browse phones, and painfully figured out that I have no knowledge of the Android versions and what they bring along. I understood there is native sip support from some Anrdoid versions forward, but which one? I left the shop without purchasing anything.

I was an early adopter of Android with my HTC Desire and have followed all the version releases since. It has been running Android 2.2 as it was frozen at that version due to memory & storage space. However I recently had an important application that I needed and it wouldn't work on it. Nearly went out to buy a new phone and decided to root it and upgrade to Android 4.2.2. Worked perfectly and now have a new lease on life for the phone and my app works great.

As others have mentionned, there is no such thing as 2.4

If you want to see what are the versions of Android and what each brought, it's pretty well explained in the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Upgrading the version of Android requires a ROM specially prepared for said device. Because Android is open source, tinkerers are usually able to prepare their own ROM of the latest Android version to put on their devices but that's not something a beginner can do. What you can do as a beginner is find a ready to use ROM for your device. If you're lucky, the manufacturer actually created an update, or some tinkerer actually made their own version.

The thing is, if the device is very popular (think: a best seller like the Samsung Galaxy S4), you'll find dozens of such ROMs, even prepared with additional features. But if the device is a bit exotic, the chances of finding a ROM for it are really low.

To help you further, we'll need the exact model of your Android TV box.

If you say that it looks a lot like the TOT IP TV, then it could be a device from Minix: http://www.minix.com.hk/Products.htm

This brand is quite well supported and has quite a good reputation... but that's just a wild guess. OP, please tell us more about your TV Box.

I would counsel caution

I upgraded my Samsung Ace II phone from Gingerbread 3.something to Jellybean 4.2

It works but is noticeably slower

A friend saw what I had done and wanted his older Ace updated

I googled for advice and got a definite No, the cpu is too slow to cope

Rather like trying to run Windows 8 on a old computer.