Teaching Phuket

I am about to start the CELTA in Phuket and I am wondering the best website / place to look for teaching jobs in Phuket ? I know a lot of people say approach the schools direct is this the best way? Any tips would be appreciated as I have just moved to Thailand from the UK and I am keen to find work and build on my teaching experience

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

An advice of an old fart. Go and show your face, show that you're really interested in teaching.

I'm also "using" ajarn com when our school's looking for a newbie, but when you receive hundreds of resumes, your chances might be a sort of slim to get through to an interview.

Be well dressed, show some enthusiasm that will open many doors.Good luck!-wai.gif

P.S. As already mentioned, forget the Celta, go for a TEFL and get some experience with real students, not just some theoretical bs..

If things don't work well, teach some kids for free, somebody will see that and approach you.

Edited by sirchai

Hi thanks for the tips. I have already paid for the CELTA course as everything else I read said this was the better option and more transferable to places other than Thailand? I'm more than prepared to go and hand my resume in personally to schools if everyone thinks this best approach. I have heard being a female can help as well and being a native English speaker is this true? I have read so many different things on forums etc

When you go to a school, it's a good idea to ask for the email address of the hiring person and to submit your documents by email as well. We get a lot of applications at our school, but whether they actually make it to my desk or not is a whole different matter. I do keep track of applicants on-line. I also take care of more than one school, so it get a little more complicated if I have a lot of paper.

Also, remember that some schools don't keep applications for a long period of time. Because foreigners need to find work or else move on, don't be shy about re-applying or keeping in contact with a preferred location.

And yes, being female, your more than likely going to go to the top of the list.

• Like 2

When you go to a school, it's a good idea to ask for the email address of the hiring person and to submit your documents by email as well. We get a lot of applications at our school, but whether they actually make it to my desk or not is a whole different matter. I do keep track of applicants on-line. I also take care of more than one school, so it get a little more complicated if I have a lot of paper.

Also, remember that some schools don't keep applications for a long period of time. Because foreigners need to find work or else move on, don't be shy about re-applying or keeping in contact with a preferred location.

And yes, being female, your more than likely going to go to the top of the list.

Being female, native English speaking and educated does help a lot.Just go to several schools and you might have the choice where you can start.-wai2.gif

Making friends is also a very good way. A lot of jobs are passed thorugh people in the know. If you find local teachers in the area you want to work, hang out, buy them a round or two, and ask them for help.

Without knowing all of your qualifications it is hard to tell you where to look. Language schools are a good start but typically have hard schedules. Universities have the easiest load but usually lower in pay. If you have a degree in something relevant, you can get work at English only programs teaching subjects. Finding jobs in Phuket is quite hard overall.

Dress professionally anytime you go to a school. Also make sure that your resume is user friendly. If non native English speakers are reading it, don't use long sentences. Simple bullet format outlining your key skills, qualifications, and experience is best.

If you work hard, the CELTA will be just fine and better than a low quality TEFL. Don't listen to the TEFL brigade. At least the CELTA has a governing body that ensures continuity amongst all its courses no matter where you take it. Thailand TEFL courses vary extremely. FYI CELTA also has live students, they just don't waste time focusing on obvious stereotypes of Thailand informed by foreigners many of whom have less than a few years living in Thailand. I have heard a lot of crap from TEFL teachers instructing others about Thai culture and customs. Most of which you can learn in a few weeks on your own. The average course wouldn't spend more than 1 day on native language inteference or specific strategies.

Thanks for all the pointers guys really useful and yeah I agree the CELTA was more appealing as it does have a governing body all other courses seemed to vary a lot.

I think I will take the approach of actually going into the schools like suggested with my CV that way I see the school and they see me.

I have a degree in psychology in the UK but then spent 5 years studying law and I am now qualified as a solicitor in the UK. The profession was not what I had hoped for and wages to begin with really bad and getting worse with the economy and various cuts etc. I decided I wanted a new challenge in a country I love. It's something I could go back to but for now I want to experience Thai culture and hopefully do some travelling around Asia.

Whilst studying for my law qualifications I worked full time for Merseyside Police in various capacities resource management / business development amongst other roles all of which involved training delivery.

I have spent a long time in education and experienced good and bad teaching and have also engaged students with training delivery and lesson planning so I hopefully have a good basic grounding to teach.

I leave Bangkok for Phuket in a week and would be keen to meet up with other teachers in the area.

Thanks again for all the tips keep them coming :-)

If you work hard, the CELTA will be just fine and better than a low quality TEFL. Don't listen to the TEFL brigade. At least the CELTA has a governing body that ensures continuity amongst all its courses no matter where you take it. Thailand TEFL courses vary extremely. FYI CELTA also has live students, they just don't waste time focusing on obvious stereotypes of Thailand informed by foreigners many of whom have less than a few years living in Thailand. I have heard a lot of crap from TEFL teachers instructing others about Thai culture and customs. Most of which you can learn in a few weeks on your own. The average course wouldn't spend more than 1 day on native language inteference or specific strategies.

Some myths and truths about CELTA:

It is not externally moderated. It is moderated by itself. UCLES awards franchises and UCLES moderates the franchise. In Chiang Mai IH CELTA was based at a resort owned by the son of the regional representative of UCLES (Mr. C. S.). This is not my understanding of 'independent' moderation/supervision.

CELTA is not part of the University of Cambridge. It belongs to UCLES. This is a business arm of the university that has the same relationship with the university as Cambridge University Press (CUP). It is in no way recognized, connected, supervised, owned, moderated by any faculty within the university.

The trainer/student ratio isn't 1:6 as promised. For example, in Chiang Mai 18 trainees will be instructed by 1 trainer. This claim is very misleading if not outright dishonest.

Homogeneity means courses make no allowances for specific linguistic and cultural needs of students. I would say this is a big negative.

it is irrelevant in most Asian countries as most work involves teaching young learners. CELTA prepares teachers for teaching adults in language schools. However, it is loved by language schools in the UK. Not least because IH/The BC/IATEFL work together to attempt to create a TEFL industry monopoly.

TEFL courses range in quality. That's true. However, it's not difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff with a little Googling.

Edited by Loaded

Be prepared to teach 50 students per class, most of whom will arrive late and go early. For the most part you'll be concerned more with crowd control than teaching. Don't worry about the validity of the CELTA or TEFL certificates either. You'll be asked to teach "conversational English", the Thai teachers teach grammar. I don't teach here anymore but as I understand it things have never changed. I speak fluent Thai and I can assure you that despite their proclamations about wanting to speak English, effort is sadly lacking. If you're serious about teaching you'll be off to another country next year.

All the advice so far is really spot on. I found hanging out with English teachers the best lead. Also my Thai tutor is well connected school wise and gave me lots of heads up. it's a good idea to learn Thai as well. Don't forget that you probably need the originals of your degrees etc, so if they're still back home you should send for them. Don't limit yourself to Phuket unless you're set on it, my school in Chiang Rai needs 6 teachers in the new term. Cheers!

Good luck trying to survive in Phuket on a teacher's salary.

Considering Phuket as the most expensive place to live in Thailand seems to be fact.

But having the right qualifications, not spending 60% on Whiskey and Go Go, shouldn't be a problem to live a comfortable life,surrounded by beach and sun, instead of those times when it's "raining cats and dogs".

Positive thinking will help you a lot. Neither trust the Thais too much ,nor the foreign community. Listen to your common sense, as some "expats" in several areas seem to have left that at the airport, when arrived in Thailand. .

Would she have to support a whole family, then I'd agree with your point, but being alone shouldn't be a problem. Best of luck. Welcome to Thailand.-wai2.gif

Good luck trying to survive in Phuket on a teacher's salary.

Considering Phuket as the most expensive place to live in Thailand seems to be fact.

But having the right qualifications, not spending 60% on Whiskey and Go Go, shouldn't be a problem to live a comfortable life,surrounded by beach and sun, instead of those times when it's "raining cats and dogs".

Positive thinking will help you a lot. Neither trust the Thais too much ,nor the foreign community. Listen to your common sense, as some "expats" in several areas seem to have left that at the airport, when arrived in Thailand. .

Would she have to support a whole family, then I'd agree with your point, but being alone shouldn't be a problem. Best of luck. Welcome to Thailand.-wai2.gif

But you gotta admit, if she is a youngster and has just arrived, 30 or 35k is gonna be a struggle to live on in THE quality, number 1 Thai destination smile.png

First of all, be a qualified TEACHER.....Enough people with half- ass degrees and absolutely

no teaching abilities or qualification screwing with the school systen. Give the kids a break!!!!!

A "qualified" teacher from any English speaking countries around the world isn't necessarily a good teacher in Thailand, considering the circumstances, social environment, language barrier,etc...

Why don't you let her find out if she likes such a job, as she might be a fantastic teacher, who knows? All teachers have to start somewhere, some of them find their own way pretty fast, while others will never get it.

And she'll have to find her own personal way how to deal with kids, Thai and foreign colleagues.

I see it the way around, the school system is screwing a lot of people who're trying to do a good job, see the no fail policy and more.-wai2.gif

If you can't speak Thai you can't hope to be a decent English teacher here. You need to be able to explain grammatical points during any lesson, even those supposedly meant to expose students to native speakers. No doubt there will be those who maintain you need to create a totally English speaking environment, in that case why the need for Thai teachers to teach grammar? I've had students come to me in the past with homework set by teachers with teaching degrees asking for explanations as to what it's purpose. You need to be able to read write and speak Thai to be a truly effective teacher here, such as the likes of Adam Bradshaw.

If you can't speak Thai you can't hope to be a decent English teacher here. You need to be able to explain grammatical points during any lesson, even those supposedly meant to expose students to native speakers. No doubt there will be those who maintain you need to create a totally English speaking environment, in that case why the need for Thai teachers to teach grammar? I've had students come to me in the past with homework set by teachers with teaching degrees asking for explanations as to what it's purpose. You need to be able to read write and speak Thai to be a truly effective teacher here, such as the likes of Adam Bradshaw.

With all respect, Sir. Your post is absolute RUBBISH. What students here need to learn is how to speak in English. Experienced teachers living here for a long time, this again depending on the school set up, are using Thai to give them just some words in their mother tongue.Saves a lot of time, sometimes.

" Thai students have to learn too much grammar and they don't have the needed vocabulary to use it." This is not coming from me, but from a bright student I've had, as it was part of her speech for a speech competition at a high school, M.5.Topic was the English language.

She'd won a gold medal, I'd just changed some parts of her speech. Why do you have to be able to read Thai, when you teach English? The biggest problem that Thais can't speak English properly is that Thai English teachers usually only speak Thai in English lessons and explain all in Thai.

The few words they say, or "teach" in an English lesson are most of the time mispronounced.

A simultaneous translation of an English sentence into Thai doesn't make any sense. If you don't believe me, Google it.

I find it hard to believe that you come up with such a nonsense statement as an "advice for a younger woman". who'll start to teach English soon.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

An off-topic post has been deleted.

Please don't repost a comment that has been deleted.

Stay on-topic.

And now more posts and replies have been deleted. The OP is asking about Teaching in Phuket.

but as has already been pointed out the cost of living there is very high. she'd be better going to a more rural location from a financial point of view.

IMHO, (living in Phuket for 12 years), the cost of living is wholly dependant on your lifestyle. Without wanting to get in to a 'I-spend-less-than-you' argument, I spend no more than 15,000 baht/month on rent, travel, food, internet etc etc. Phuket is expensive if you prefer to lead an expat-ghetto lifestyle, but that's not for everyone.

The OP's gender is probably an advantage if she is looking to teach at primary or KG level. I Phuket has several 'real' international schools (requiring UK teaching experience, QTS etc), some bilingual schools/programmes, some giovernment schools, several language schools and 2 universities. IMHO, she will find job offers by knocking on doors with a smile and neat CV.

Simon

It appears to help if you have a broad regional accent or come from a non english speaking country and have a nearly indecipherable accent. This is based on the teachers I have met in two trips in 6 months and is not exhaustive. Previous experiences were a bit more heartening. Good luck.

*Deleted post edited out*

Well, listen, it is hard to rain on anybody's parade, but not only will she be in need of some money, she will have to put up with a beaurocratic nightmare of endless frustration at the school. I don't think anybody denies this. Barely making a living in "paradise" is one thing, barely making a living while being under the rule of Thai administrators is quite another.

If it matters, I also think the CELTA is pure crap. I guess she has already signed up though. I just don't see the use in paying to get a job that pays 30k a month, lol. The other thing I do not agree with is, who is this guy spouting off about teachers needing to be fully qualified? What fully certified teacher on earth will work for 1,000 dollars a month. That is about 5 dollars and hour.... omg the horror. Not being racists or elitist here in any way, I assure you, but there are undocumented, unqualified Mexican workers in my state that make a minimum of 10 dollars an hour. The horror, the horror (have you ever seen a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor, and live? That is my dream, that is my nightmare).

Edited by Scott

Hi thanks again for all the advice. I appreciate the advice on salary however I'm very fortunate that my husband is a retired police officer and gets a pension so we could afford to live off that. I want to teach as I think its something I will enjoy and hope to get a lot out of it. I know of people who have also completed a PGCE distance learning and this is something I may consider as well to open up better jobs with more responsibility to progress my career. I am 31 so still have lots of my working life ahead of me and plan to make the most of it. I do plan to learn Thai not necessarily for the teaching but everyday life. I had such a nightmare at the airport due to language barrier and I hate not knowing what people are saying. I plan to stay in Thailand and I don't want to always expect the Thais to know English so far I have been lucky. Its good to know my previous experience will be of some assistance when looking for jobs. Once I have completed the CELTA I will start handing out my CV and visiting schools. I won't finish until the end of February as I'm also doing the young learners extension so it seems this will work out well to start looking at jobs to begin April / May time when the terms begin. Thanks again Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

OP with your background and quals you won't find it hard to find a job, especially if you are flexible about location, though, as some other posters have said, the best time to apply would be ahead of the new term in May.

Most NES teachers here are working on conversational and spoken English in general, so it's not professionally or intellectually demanding; but many do find the working environment demanding, as a lot of the threads here show. Developing good relationships with the Thai teaching, admin and management staff is the key to enjoying your work here IMHO.

The fact that your husband has a good pension will also be a very great help.

Re favouring women or men ? Most of the NES teachers are male, so it's possible that some school heads may favour a woman for a change, but otherwise I don't personally think this is a major factor.

I haven't read all the posts, so I may be repeating what someone else has said, but bring your police backgound check document with you as well as your educational certificates, and any other supporting documents that may be useful (for example glowing reports from previous managers, certificates of professional training - whether related to teaching or not).

Good luck.

PS an off-topic post is one that is deemed by the moderators to be too far off topic to be relevant to the OP (original post); sometimes they are offensive, sometimes they are flames (designed to inflame the passions of other posters) or sometimes simply irrelevant.

Edited by bundoi
  • Like 1