Handheld Two-way Radios In Thailand

Matthew G

I'd like to bring a pair of personal two-way radios along on my next trip to LOS. These have become extremely popular here in the US, but I'm wondering whether they can be legally operated in Thailand, and if so, whether an operator's license is required. Any ideas? These radios are basically glorified walkie-talkies and transmit between 462 Mhz and 467 Mhz (what the US FCC calls FRS and GMRS). Range is generally less than 2.5 km. The info on the Communication Authority of Thailand's English website was not very specific. Here's a link to the product description of the radios:

WristLinx

Thanks!

Definitely not legal.

1. Import with out a licence.

2. Possession of an unregistered radio. Every transceiver needs a permit from Post and Telegraph Dept Bangkok.

3. Operation on band without permission.

Any/ALL of these can get you arrested, taken to court, fined and your equipment confiscated.

These rules apply equally to amateur equipment, even when you have a licence.

I had something similar sent here (433 MHz) went Down to CAT at Chaeng Wattana, paid 500 Baht and got the "Approved by CAT" sticked. Took almost the entire day

On the other hand, why don't you buy a couple of those red Icom 144 MHz transceivers that the security guards around town seem to like to much. They are around 3000 Baht each for the cheaper models.

ASIC