Thai car exports to Australia set to soar

barrybankruad

Taking advantage of the free trade agreement betwen Thailand and Australia, Toyota are to source their new Corolla into Autralia from Thailand. See

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-capitalises-on-favourable-free-trade-laws-20140108-30gec.html

On a reciprocal basis has anyone noticed any Australian products such as wine, dairy products, meat etc getting any cheaper here?

There has been some discussion about the FTA and is there is a genuine reciprocity. Some posters have said things are much more straightforward now, others report ongoing issues withe red-tape (from an Australian persepctive). Australian exporters will need to be vigilant in pushing their rights under the FTA ( and consumers of Australian products in Thailand be wary of price gouging by retailers, eg the Meadowlea)

can't compare cars and butter.

Different levels of demand, different product attributes.

The goods you mention from Australia are all food stuffs, have smaller markets (usually higher end consumers with higher disposable income), spoil easily and relatively high shipping costs. If you are running a shop stocking the stuff or supplying it, you are going to have to take all of these things into consideration.

Edited by samran

I actually found Bulla thickened cream the other week, cant believe I can get real cream here now and not the local "whipping cream" that is non dairy. If we start to get other aussie food stuffs here I will be happy......

• Like 1