Cambodia visa run and turned away. Beware

Just a quick FYI to all those looking at making a visa run to Cambodia. I decided to take my TGF to Siam Reap after the new year for a few days, as the time was up and I had to do a visa run. On arrival at the busy busy Poi Pet border, i exited Thailand and went through to receive my new Cambodian visa. Paid the money and queued for the visa to be stamped with the other hundreds waiting there.

Unfortunately I was told after a very long wait, by some guy in charge I guess, that because one of my previous Cambodian visa's was no longer in my passport, I could not come in to Cambodia.

Basically a few months ago either the glue failed or the old visa wasn't put in properly, and it came out. As it was an old one and long since expired, I put it in the bin. He was adamant that this was a serious offense. He took pictures of my passport, and had one of his minions drive me back to Thai immigration. My GF had to make her own way back, with her visa already done.

At Thai immigration, there were a few raised eyebrows and I was told that they would now have to cancel my exit stamp in the passport. I asked the Khmer, why was this problem not sorted or seen before a new visa was issued with $$ paid? He didn't know what to say so I asked him again, hoping somebody might see sense and they'd let me through. After a few minutes thinking time, he took me back to the building dispensing the visa, where they removed it and gave me my money back. I was also told I'll not be able to enter Cambodia again on this passport, ever.

Then back to Thai immigration where they stamped cancelled on my exit stamp. What worried me now was they had no idea where my departure slip was, and gave me a new one, with the previous number scribbled on, saying there would be no problem with that. I didn't feel so confident. The only option was then to drive to Laos. We over nighted in Buriram and drove to the Chock Meng border and thankfully, all went very easily, much less crowded, a lot cleaner, and we have had a nice couple of days in Pak Se. Down side was it was a nightmare journey back as it moved everything on a day and we came back to Jomtien with the other returning hordes.

Doesn't make any sense to me but just in case anyone else has had this happen. You will not get in.

You are actually lucky that you were able to do your crossing into Laos. You should apply for a new passport ASAP. Whether or not the visa "fell out" or not, you now have a passport that has been altered or "defaced" and, by law, is no longer valid!

You are actually lucky that you were able to do your crossing into Laos. You should apply for a new passport ASAP. Whether or not the visa "fell out" or not, you now have a passport that has been altered or "defaced" and, by law, is no longer valid!

Agreed. I had a Cambodian visa fall out before but I made darn sure I kept it.

I came through Swampy two weeks ago. The Thai immigration guy carefully peeled off two Cambodian visas which were becoming a bit loose at one end and stapled them to the up front pages. At the time I thought <deleted>, but thanks to your post I now understand. Un-glueing visas must be a recognised problem in SE Asia.

I had a Cambodian visa fall out of my current passport back in 2009,

been in and out of ;

Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, USA and Thailand many many times

no one has said a word although they have not stamped on that page

even had the extra book added ( us passport)

Have entered Cambodia at airport (5 times) and Osmach (3 times) since Dec 2008

Edited by phuketrichard

They were right, it is a very big deal to remove (whether intentionally or due to the glue failing) anything from your passport. You can not alter your passport yourself in any way, and if you do, you can expect to have trouble at any border crossing in the world. You need to get a new passport immediately.

Cambodian immigration took my e-Visa when I entered at Siem Reap airport. Upon leaving immigration asked for the e-Visa and I had to produce a second copy that they kept again. All I have in my passport is an entry stamp and exit stamp.

My friend was refused entry also because of an old Cam visa had fallen out. He was made to write a letter of apology to the border boss then the let him through. I would just avoid really busy borders anyway cos they're starting to hate everyone i think...

Want to take the wife to SRP for Chinese NY. I've done this as a border run seemingly forever. Never had any loose visas. I'm on a fresh pp with zero Khmer visas.

Will I have problems?

Is this souring as a visa run? Justaphase, do you have years of experience to base that on?

Incidently, Im non O on marriage, not that it matters for Cambodia. Hate to give up that almost free liter of booze. I'd vome back with two this time as well ☺

Would never do E visa until they get pay at post. Crazy, cc details.

Thinking about doing the b700 bus, pricey and slower than diy but I wont have to hassle share taxi (wife will come two days later on bus due to job). My visa stamp dies few days prior.

Yeah bro, "missing" visas out of your pp, what possibly could go wrong?

My hunch is that is not electronically monitored, Khmer immigration I'd noticed really scrutinizing my pp prior. Each time you get a visa, they stamp the visa, but the extend the stamp to overlsp on the page. Every time. So, my hunch is that they look for this. Doubtful you will get a country to isdue a visa on top of any marking in your pp such as that so if that is your situation, your screwed.

Cambodian immigration took my e-Visa when I entered at Siem Reap airport. Upon leaving immigration asked for the e-Visa and I had to produce a second copy that they kept again. All I have in my passport is an entry stamp and exit stamp.

but those Cambo stamps in and out are with a small stamp mesioning E-visa , and a number .... at least my 2 last E-visa have

Edited by david555

Want to take the wife to SRP for Chinese NY. I've done this as a border run seemingly forever. Never had any loose visas. I'm on a fresh pp with zero Khmer visas.

Will I have problems?

why would you?

if ur wife is thai she gets 15 days visa exempt an you pay the $20

no problems here

I came through Swampy two weeks ago. The Thai immigration guy carefully peeled off two Cambodian visas which were becoming a bit loose at one end and stapled them to the up front pages. At the time I thought <deleted>, but thanks to your post I now understand. Un-glueing visas must be a recognised problem in SE Asia.

I've also had the same problems but only with Cambodian visas rolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

but those Cambo stamps in and out are with a small stamp mesioning E-visa , and a number .... at least my 2 last E-visa have

So are mine. Traceable to the e-Visa I would imagine.

Will I have problems?

Is this souring as a visa run? Justaphase, do you have years of experience to base that on?

Incidently, Im non O on marriage, not that it matters for Cambodia. Hate to give up that almost free liter of booze. I'd vome back with two this time as well ☺

Thinking about doing the b700 bus, pricey and slower than diy but I wont have to hassle share taxi (wife will come two days later on bus due to job). My visa stamp dies few days prior.

My hunch is that is not electronically monitored, Khmer immigration I'd noticed really scrutinizing my pp prior. Each time you get a visa, they stamp the visa, but the extend the stamp to overlsp on the page. Every time. So, my hunch is that they look for this. Doubtful you will get a country to isdue a visa on top of any marking in your pp such as that so if that is your situation, your screwed.

Why the unnatural fear of e-visas ?

Will I have problems?

why would you?

if ur wife is thai she gets 15 days visa exempt an you pay the $20

no problems here

Will I have problems?

Why the unnatural fear of e-visas ?

The visa (I thought obvious) is for me.

Unnatural fear? Pretty natural. When some of the biggest and best e commerece sites get hacked, why would I trust some site like that, especially when making the visa at the border takes less time than making it online and printing it.It is also us20 which I think also makes it 20% cheaper. Whenever I buy Amazon or Skype, I remove my card details after purchase. All online fun till the card gets jacked.I also only use atms directed connected physically to the bank, never stand alone kiosks save for Aeon.