cleaning water bottles

black fox

They smell bad? You might want to get new bottles. Good quality water bottles have no smell of any kind. Highly diluted laundry bleach can be used to sterilize them but make sure you rinse them well.

• Like 1

There are a few options:

- branded cleaning tablets like those from CamelBak (very expensive)

- laundry bleach (cheap, but tends to leave a strong chlorine taste)

- denture cleaner powder or tablets (reasonably cheap, easy to use, no aftertaste)

- baby bottle sterilisation tablets (reasonably cheap, easy to use, no aftertaste)

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its actually a good question because if you use the electrolytes in them as I do then because there is a lot of sugar in the liquid it doesn't take long for that black bacteria type stuff to accumulate even when washing them out with dish washer soap.

Today I tried the stuff that cleans the stains off toilets ( a blue liquid ) but it didn't make a lot of difference so I tried a bit of "promax" what appears to be a very unconcentrated bleach and it worked a treat, plenty of flushing and there wasnt any smell either

In the past I've used hydrogen peroxide, but have settled on ubiquitous laundry bleach. Easier to find and cheaper by far. But they both work.

My poor Thai makes it harder to get the unscented stuff here than it would be back home, but the blue bottles seem to be unscented. The pink stuff seems to leave a perfume smell and that's not what I want in my drinking water.

After a (very diluted) bleach rinse, I leave them in the sun to evaporate the bleach. I've never noticed a bleach odor after a little time in the sun.

In the past I've used hydrogen peroxide, but have settled on ubiquitous laundry bleach. Easier to find and cheaper by far. But they both work.

My poor Thai makes it harder to get the unscented stuff here than it would be back home, but the blue bottles seem to be unscented. The pink stuff seems to leave a perfume smell and that's not what I want in my drinking water.

After a (very diluted) bleach rinse, I leave them in the sun to evaporate the bleach. I've never noticed a bleach odor after a little time in the sun.

I've used baby sterilisation for years - even with electrolytes.