Baht Bus Pattaya Beach Parking Zones opened by Provincial Governor

Rimmer

Baht Bus Pattaya Beach Parking Zones opened by Provincial Governor

bus-7.jpg
PATTAYA:--On Wednesday the Governor of Chonburi Province, officially opened 17 dedicated pick-up and drop-off zones for Baht Buses along Pattaya Beach, which has been done to reduce traffic congestion along the Beach Road.

In a colorful and melodic ceremony, which included a Marching Band, long speeches and the ceremonial cutting of a ribbon, 17 new parking areas for Baht Buses were opened, which culminated in a demonstration of how a Baht Bus is expected to conduct itself in the future.

For many years the Baht Buses, which currently number 712, have been able to park where they want, regardless of any parking restrictions. Police have been seen to issue parking tickets to the Baht Bus Drivers but overall the influential Baht Bus Cooperative members have been able to stop where they want.

The Governor claims this is about to change and any Baht Bus who stops outside of a parking area will be fined and clamped which the Governor hopes will alleviate the traffic jams at peak times on Pattaya Beach Road.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/114512/baht-bus-pattaya-beach-parking-zones-opened-by-provincial-governor/#sthash.avgYpCvP.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-01-09

Gotta love the big ad for a "Gentleman's Club" all over the front of the roof. Wonder if there are any posters with skimpily clad women on display in the back for the Governor to feast his eyes onbiggrin.png

• Like 2

Going well today. As I walked down Beach Road I saw several of these new dedicated areas completely empty each being overseen by a couple of fatigue-dressed army types whose only role I have to assume was to stop anyone parking in these zones. They just stood by as baht bus after baht bus, and other assorted vehicles stopped in the middle of the road, anywhere but in these new areas to pick up and drop off their passengers as they pleased. The only area where there appeared to be any positive activity to improve the situation was in front of Central where a couple of guys with whistles were doing their best to herd the errant baht buses into the proper zones which looked as though they had been purged of the usual horde of yellow/blue 'meter' taxis.

Looks like the only achievement so far is to further reduce the amount of parking available.

Do these 'officials' really believe that these new 'bus stops' will work??!! It's another complete waste of time with no enforcement and just gives these guys a photo-op and no doubt an all expenses-paid lunch out of the office for the day!!!! There is no discipline in this country and least of all, on the roads!!

I drove along Beach Road yesterday afternoon and there were no police in sight and a baht bus in front of me suddenly stopped because the driver saw two foreigners talking on the footpath. Must say that the new bus stop signs look very impressive!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use the beach road route that often (tend to use the Soi Buakow southerly route more). So last night I took the beach road baht bus for the fist time since the bus stop initiative. The traffic was light so I don't know if this is typical or not. The driver did appear to be respecting the stop areas. However, obnoxiously, he was BEEP BEEP BEEPING his horn repetitively each and every time he approached on the areas. Noise pollution city if most of the drivers are doing the same. What are your experiences with the new system? Similar to mine?

Another thing, I didn't see even one passenger wave down my bus off the bus stops so I don't know if Mr. BEEPER would have stopped for them or not ...

Edited by Jingthing

I don't use the beach road route that often (tend to use the Soi Buakow southerly route more). So last night I took the beach road baht bus for the fist time since the bus stop initiative. The traffic was light so I don't know if this is typical or not. The driver did appear to be respecting the stop areas. However, obnoxiously, he was BEEP BEEP BEEPING his horn repetitively each and every time he approached on the areas. Noise pollution city if most of the drivers are doing the same. What are your experiences with the new system? Similar to mine?

Another thing, I didn't see even one passenger wave down my bus off the bus stops so I don't know if Mr. BEEPER would have stopped for them or not ...

I cycle down this road in the morning about 9 -10 a.m. so I follow these vehicles.

I see no discernible difference in their behaviour.blink.png

They still stop wherever they want and the paintwork at the vacant bus stops look remarkably clean through lack of userolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1