Overstay pay process

I've looked through the forums, but can't find an answer, sorry if this has been asked before.

I am 4 days overstay and plan to pay the 'fine' at the airport tomorrow, but my question is how long will it take once I meet the 1st immigration officer and he determines I have overstayed? Is this a 10 min process or a 2 hour process or more?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Agree, although you'd have to be very unlucky to encounter a long queue, it is possible, much better to show up earlier than you think you need.

Possible lots of people popping out of town at the moment too.

Don't get in trouble with the BiB between now and then. . .

Thanks for the replies! Sitting in the Thai lounge now, passed through immigration without any questions or fines, that was unexpected, but welcome. Just a little extra time before my flight.....:). Take care of the place while I'm gone, eh!

Thanks for the replies! Sitting in the Thai lounge now, passed through immigration without any questions or fines, that was unexpected, but welcome. Just a little extra time before my flight.....smile.png. Take care of the place while I'm gone, eh!

I am surprised there was no charge. I flew out a few weeks ago with a one day overstay which they don't charge for (you're allowed one day grace as far as I know), I told the guy I had a one day overstay and he called the supervisor over, I don't know what they said but as is expected he then proceeded to stamp me out.

Did the immigration officer call the supervisor over at all or just stamp you out as normal ?

I ask because they change the rules all the time and who knows, maybe they might have increased the 1 day grace period.

Thanks for the replies! Sitting in the Thai lounge now, passed through immigration without any questions or fines, that was unexpected, but welcome. Just a little extra time before my flight.....smile.png. Take care of the place while I'm gone, eh!

I am surprised there was no charge. I flew out a few weeks ago with a one day overstay which they don't charge for (you're allowed one day grace as far as I know), I told the guy I had a one day overstay and he called the supervisor over, I don't know what they said but as is expected he then proceeded to stamp me out.

Did the immigration officer call the supervisor over at all or just stamp you out as normal ?

I ask because they change the rules all the time and who knows, maybe they might have increased the 1 day grace period.

Just stamped me out! No questions at all, just the regular pleasant smile.

It would help if you gave us little more info on what type of entry you had that you were on overstay for.

Was it a visa entry? Visa exempt entry? Extension of stay?

This is interesting, what type of visa were you on and approximately how long were you in Thailand for ?

Has anyone else found these fines are discretionary or waived for more than a single day overstay in the past ?

To be honest, I was actually 10 day overstay, my wife's grandmother had some health issues in the north that caused us not to leave BKK on the 20th of Dec as planned.... Kept thinking I would just do a visa run, but things just kept getting more time condensed.

I said 4 days as I know that a good percentage of the answers rec'd would just criticize not requesting an extension at the right time.

I enter on a visa exempt, I'm Canadian, and I travel to Thailand every 6 weeks for 4-5 weeks at a time. I have never overstayed before, typically leaving to Malaysia, China, or Singapore for a few days of business.

So I'll just assume that the wife's praying and offerings to Buddha that I would have no trouble on exit worked.....:)

Is your wife Thai? If yes are you legally married. If yes to both you could of gotten a 60 day extension at immigration to visit her instead of overstaying.

It seems you just got lucky that the immigration officer didn't notice your overstay.