Some olde foreigner past a way in the Viang ping condo

marcofrenchpolo

Oscar2, on 11 Jan 2014 - 06:42, said:

you see so many old men all alone in Thailand. of course they choose this life. sad. RIP

I thought they are all busy posting on TVFwhistling.gif

RIP old man....and see you soon up there.

So why do you reckon you'll be going "UP THERE?" I thought we were already in Heaven.... Thailand.....just ask my wife!

and yes, RIP Old Man whoever you were.

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 2

This is so sad.

Don't know about this situation, but sometimes you hear of cases where a body is found days after a death and it appears that the person got into difficulty in his room, couldn't summon help and didn't pass immediately. Those situations are especially sad.

Everyone living alone should think about having a "buddy plan" where someone checks in with them every day. It doesn't need to be an intrusive as a daily phone call. It can be more subtle, like having a "Welcome" sign on the outside of your door. When you arise in the morning, you turn the sign over. Your buddy, perhaps a neighbor, can check your door and if the sign isn't turned over by say, 10 am, then he can call or knock on the door and you can do the same for him.

I know people who do something like this here in Chiang Mai, but they're all women. Unfortunately, this town is full of old guys living alone, guys who have cut off ties with family and friends in their home country and really live very isolated lives here. It's so sad, whenever I've proposed this type of arrangement to some of them, they consider it a giant imposition and invasion of privacy. Any other ideas?

But, people do have the right to die alone with no one missing them for days, also.

I am sorry for him if this wasn't the way he wanted to go, but for some of us one of the nice things about Thailand is you stand a chance of being left alone if that's what you do want.

Unfortunately some people interpret being alone with being lonely. The words are not synonymous.

But, people do have the right to die alone with no one missing them for days, also.

Exactly. I hope I can go in my own bed without anyone fussing around or, as would happen in the US, without being hauled away in an ambulance manned by strangers to some sterile institution where you become of interest as long as the insurance holds out and will be treated without consultation as if you were a retarded child by indifferent doctors and bored nurses in a room you have to share with someone you would be unwilling to sit next to on public transportation.

Many people in the west are getting tattoos to make it clear they do not want to be resuscitated, which is the nice way of saying "leave me the f___ alone.:

senior-gets-do-not-resuscitate-tattoo.jp601783964_825917.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

This is so sad.

Don't know about this situation, but sometimes you hear of cases where a body is found days after a death and it appears that the person got into difficulty in his room, couldn't summon help and didn't pass immediately. Those situations are especially sad.

Everyone living alone should think about having a "buddy plan" where someone checks in with them every day. It doesn't need to be an intrusive as a daily phone call. It can be more subtle, like having a "Welcome" sign on the outside of your door. When you arise in the morning, you turn the sign over. Your buddy, perhaps a neighbor, can check your door and if the sign isn't turned over by say, 10 am, then he can call or knock on the door and you can do the same for him.

I know people who do something like this here in Chiang Mai, but they're all women. Unfortunately, this town is full of old guys living alone, guys who have cut off ties with family and friends in their home country and really live very isolated lives here. It's so sad, whenever I've proposed this type of arrangement to some of them, they consider it a giant imposition and invasion of privacy. Any other ideas?

I am sorry for him if this wasn't the way he wanted to go, but for some of us one of the nice things about Thailand is you stand a chance of being left alone if that's what you do want.

Unfortunately some people interpret being alone with being lonely. The words are not synonymous.

Exactly. I hope I can go in my own bed without anyone fussing around or, as would happen in the US, without being hauled away in an ambulance manned by strangers to some sterile institution where you become of interest as long as the insurance holds out and will be treated without consultation as if you were a retarded child by indifferent doctors and bored nurses in a room you have to share with someone you would be unwilling to sit next to on public transportation.

Many people in the west are getting tattoos to make it clear they do not want to be resuscitated, which is the nice way of saying "leave me the f___ alone.:

Nice idea if;

1 - they know what PTO means

2 - find someone who can write 'do not resuscitate' a little neater

Edited by uptheos

Fredrik was his name and he was from Norway.

Sad for him, and a little freaky for me. I lived two condos above him for many years.

I used to have occasional dark fantasies that this could be my fate. My other one was that the draw of the 14th floor window would someday be too much...

But they were only occasional fanatsies, and the time for them has long passed. And I don't even live there any more...

---

I did know Fredrik casually. I helped him with some computer stuff a few times. He varied his time between Norway, where he had a cottage on the coast and a daughter he was proud of, and ChiangMai where he owned that condo.

He was polite and personable, and seemed to have a pretty happy outlook on life. He said he had been a fairly successful businessman back in Norway.

I forget the details, but he had had some serious medical treatments that had surprisingly worked well for quite a while. I hope he was happy to the end.

The last time I saw Fredrik he was with a Norwegian friend, and from what he said it sounded like he was staying close to his daughter...

So while he died alone, it sounds like he was loved, and isn't forgotten.

Seemed like a decent person. RIP Fredrik

Thank you for giving us some details about Fredrik and his life. It's good to know he is remembered. May he rest in peace.

A sad story and of course deserves to be treated with the utmost respect....

I'm not young myself and I feel it often but there's an 86 year old chap across the hall from me who's getting a visit this morning...

The "buddy system' is a great idea.

Good thought...

Mike

• Like 1

This is so sad.

I agree. Except with the little bit of snobbishness at the end. Too good to die with the unwashed masses? I forgive you. You make too much sense in the bulk of your post for me to not to.

Oh my goodness, I hope that no one is confusing my comments with those of Suradit69's -- which can happen with creative use of the Thai Visa"quote" function.

I'm so glad the OP brought this poor man's passing to our attention, despite English not being his his first language and especially applaud the sensitivity of the Thai Visa crowd in reading his message as being from the heart and not finding fault with his skills in the English language.

• Like 2

Folks here should be aware that whilst trauma in younger people may have very worthwhile resuscitation rates, CPR, especially conducted outside hospital, has a very low expectation.....and I'm talking a very low handful of percent....of a truly happy outcome which lasts.

Most likely is failure, and worse still the nether world of consciousness combined with hypoxia damage etc etc., which makes up another few percent.

Add to this the cost (enormous in the US of course) of maintaining people who have "survived but poorly" and tattooing "do not revive" is a real option and avoids the dreadful possibility of being locked in.

Death is of course only an illusory fear manufactured by evolution. We don't look upon the period before we were born with horror do we?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

This is so sad.

Nice idea if;

1 - they know what PTO means

2 - find someone who can write 'do not resuscitate' a little neater

or put PTO on both sides, the delay of an infinite loop may be just enough :D (sorry morbid sense of humour).