Dual citizenship for Irish born child

Hi

Does anyone have any info on how I go about getting my son a Thai passport. My wife is Thai and he was born in Ireland where we currently live. I also need to know what he requires to be able to go on holiday with us in a few months to visit the Thai family. So far all we have for him is his birth cert. was born a few months ago.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes London. There is no embassy or official Thai consulate in Ireland so you will have to make a trip to London.

We have a consulate here can't they do anything?

Talking the family to the uk is a terrible option. For a start they will need a uk visa just to get there.

The Royal Thailand Embassy London is quit helpful:

Register a Birth (Thai Birth Certificate)

1. Register a Birth

1. Birth certificate registeration does not require an appoinment,however,if you wish to apply for an e-passport for your child on the same day an appointment is required.

2. The child, father and mother are required in person at Royal Thai Embassy, London.

3. To register for a Thai birth certificate, the child has to have been born in the UK/Ireland and

have a UK/Ireland Full Birth Certificate.

4. Registrations of births are free of charge.

Remarks: If the child was born before 1st March, 1992 (B.E. 2535), please see 3.4

2. Application Forms

1. A fully-completed Birth Certificate form; sample of Birth Certificate form

If applying for a passport for your child on the same day as registering the birth, additional forms below are required;

2. Form1 Request for a new e-passport Sample Form1

3. Form2 Investigation (application information) Sample Form2

3. Required Documents

3.1 If the childs parents are married.

1. A recent (2 x2 inches) photograph of the child

2. A photocopy of UK/Irish Full Birth Certificate.

3. A photocopy of Parents' Marriage Certificate.

4. A photocopy of Parents Valid Passports.

5. A photocopy of Parents Thai Identity Cards or Thai House Registration.

Remarks: If wishing to apply for an e-passport for the child on the same day, please prepare 2 copies of all the above document.

• Like 1

Take your son to Thailand on his Irish passport and apply for a Thai citizenship / passport in Thailand.

His child is already has Thai nationality from birth.

Getting a Thai birth certificate is much more difficult here than going through the embassy in London and can take months to get because the application done at the MFA in Bangkok has to be sent to the embassy in London for them to do it. Plus it requires a lot more paperwork.

Take your son to Thailand on his Irish passport and apply for a Thai citizenship / passport in Thailand.

His child is already has Thai nationality from birth.

Getting a Thai birth certificate is much more difficult here than going through the embassy in London and can take months to get because the application done at the MFA in Bangkok has to be sent to the embassy in London for them to do it. Plus it requires a lot more paperwork.

Yep, my mistake - should have said register his birth in Bkk.

If the mother doesn't have entry into the UK - maybe it is the only option to process it thru' Bkk. even if difficult / time consuming etc.

Does anyone else here think it's ridiculous how hard it is to get my son his god and Buddha given right to his citizenship ? sad.png

Thanks guys for all the help so far.

Not "Ridiculous" more a fact of life .smile.png

Your son is not being denied any "Right"

If you think that Thailand should have an Embassy in Ireland then you had better take that issue up with the Irish and Thai governments.

Edited by Sceptict11

Does anyone else here think it's ridiculous how hard it is to get my son his god and Buddha given right to his citizenship ? sad.png

Not "Ridiculous" more a fact of life .smile.png

Your son is not being denied any "Right"

If you think that Thailand should have an Embassy in Ireland then you had better take that issue up with the Irish and Thai governments.

Firstly, being a fact of life does not make it any less ridiculous and secondly I never said he was being denied any right I said it was "hard"

As far as having an embassy in Ireland goes well wow thanks for your really helpful input.

• Like 1

Does anyone else here think it's ridiculous how hard it is to get my son his god and Buddha given right to his citizenship ? :(

The irony of all of this is Thai passports are actually quite simple and quick to issue and probably one of the best government services you'll find anywhere - in the world.

This is all moot for you given that Thailand doesn't have full simplistic representation in the Republic.

The best advice is simply for you child to travel to Thailand on his Irish passport. Once there you'll need to add his name to the house registration (tabieen baan) and if he is 7 years or older get him and ID card. You can then take him to the Thai passport office and the passport will be issued quickly in three days.

Note, as your child entered Thailand on the Irish passport he'll have to depart on it, but for subsequent trips he can use the Thai passport.

As I've already said you might be in luck and the mobile passport office from the RTE in London might be coming to Dublin before you depart, so best check with them.

Having been through the process for myself in the past I can guarantee it isn't painful, and the passport surprisingly efficient.

Yea it would definitely seem that the birth cert is the biggest issue. Passport seems painless enough.

I thought it was said in the OP that the birth certificate was already sorted? Even if not, it can be done by post, no need to go to London for that. Edited by samran

Have you asked your wife to look on the embassy website to find out if/when the consular section will be in Dublin.

Hasn't been updated since last year sad.png

That is not the least bit surprising.

Try calling the consulate. I would think they would have info about the schedule.

Royal Thai Consulate in DUBLIN, Ireland

Address: 1st Floor Harmony Court, Harmony Row ,Dublin 2

Tel: 00-353-016436468 Fax: 00-353-16394882

• Like 1

Yea it would definitely seem that the birth cert is the biggest issue. Passport seems painless enough.

I thought it was said in the OP that the birth certificate was already sorted? Even if not, it can be done by post, no need to go to London for that.

Sorry for the confusion I meant we have Irish birth cert already.

As mentioned in later posts it's the Thai birth cert and passport we need and according to the embassy website and others on here it has to be done in person not by post.

Have you asked your wife to look on the embassy website to find out if/when the consular section will be in Dublin.

Try calling the consulate. I would think they would have info about the schedule.

Gonna call them in the morning

Gonna call them in the morning

Sounds like a fairly logical move, it might be of interest to those who made suggestion in trying to help were updated once you have some specifics.

I thought it was said in the OP that the birth certificate was already sorted? Even if not, it can be done by post, no need to go to London for that.
Sorry for the confusion I meant we have Irish birth cert already.

As mentioned in later posts it's the Thai birth cert and passport we need and according to the embassy website and others on here it has to be done in person not by post.

Thanks for the clarification. I'd double check with them to see if the birth certificate can be done by post. It is certainly possible elsewhere.

Otherwise, as said, the paperwork can be handled in Bangkok, though I realise this probably isn't ideal.