USA Visa for my mother-in-law. Know any good lawyers who could help?

My wife is a Thai national with American citizenship. She wants to bring her mother-in-law to America. She wants to get her mom USA permanent residency (a green card). American lawyers cost too much money. I can fill out the paperwork in America, but my mother-in-law would need help in Thailand with all that she would have to do (paperwork, interview, etc.). My mother-in-law lives in Chaiyaphum. Anybody know any good Visa companies/lawyers in Bangkok or Chaiyphum that charge a fair price.

Thanks

You'll be wasting your time in Chaiyphum finding a lawyer who can speak English let alone tackle the subject of US immigration.

She wants to bring her mother-in-law to America. She wants to get her mom USA permanent residency (a green card). American lawyers cost too much money. I can fill out the paperwork in America, but my mother-in-law would need help in Thailand with all that she would have to do (paperwork, interview, etc.).

I'm confused but I think your wife want's to bring her mother to the USA?

I'm open to others saying I am wrong but I feel you have a serious uphill battle.

Yes, my wife wants to bring her mother to the USA to live permanently. I know it can be done, but lawyers in the USA cost too much money.

They charge like all lawyers the going rate and this project will cost you big money.

The wide boys and rubbish street lawyers in Thailand will take your money but deliver nothing.

If you are serious and live in the USA get a good immigration lawyer.

Has your mother in law ever visited the USA?

PM me I know a good lawyer in Bangkok that has helped a few of my friends and did a visa for my wife. As Jay said fees are about the same as in the

US. This lawyer will take her to go get the police report, medical exam, handle all the paper work etc.

this is a good forum in Thai for thais who are getting visas to the US, your wife and mother in law can get a lot of good info, and they can talk to others who are going through the process.

http://www.usvisa4thai.com/

This is a good forum for people seeking visas to the US in English

http://www.visajourney.com/

Since your wife is U.S. a citizen, her mother would qualify to apply for an IR-5 visa after an I-130 is filed and approved in the U.S. by your wife. It takes roughly the same time as it would a spouse. The paperwork is virtually identical. As a previous poster stated, check out VJ. This forum specifically:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/111-bringing-family-members-of-us-citizens-to-america/

My guess is it would be 9 months to a year start to finish. Of course the processing times fluctuate.

This process does NOT require a lawyer. In fact if you can file your own taxes, you can do this. It's actually simpler than that. In my case I made the mistake of hiring a lawyer. Not only did it cost $1800 USD, it delayed my case for 3 months or more. Remember even when using a lawyer, you have to submit all the information to a lawyer, and then they submit it to USCIS. So there's that delay. Also, what if they take their time and file your forms when they feel like it? Not much you can do after you filed the G-28. Granted there are some special cases where a lawyer is a good idea. A straight forward IR-5 case is not one of them.

This process does NOT require a lawyer. In fact if you can file your own taxes, you can do this. It's actually simpler than that. In my case I made the mistake of hiring a lawyer. Not only did it cost $1800 USD, it delayed my case for 3 months or more. Remember even when using a lawyer, you have to submit all the information to a lawyer, and then they submit it to USCIS. So there's that delay. Also, what if they take their time and file your forms when they feel like it? Not much you can do after you filed the G-28. Granted there are some special cases where a lawyer is a good idea. A straight forward IR-5 case is not one of them.

I agree with everything you say, we also did everything our selves concerning getting my fiance to the US , getting married, getting her green card, and now becoming American citizen.

But the problem the op has is that even though he can handle the paperwork on his end in the US, his MIL in Thailand might not be able to handle all that is required of her at her end, and need some one reliable, (IMO opinion not necessary a lawyer) who can help his MIL with all that she need to do.

The other problem is that having jumped through all the hoops the mother in law might decide the USA is not for her.

Friends,family,language and culture are a big part of an older persons life.

Hence my question has she spent time there before?

The other problem is that having jumped through all the hoops the mother in law might decide the USA is not for her.

Friends,family,language and culture are a big part of an older persons life.

Hence my question has she spent time there before?

Funny you mention that. My Thai wife became a U.S. citizen about 1.5 years ago. I mentioned to her that she could now bring her parents (they're in their 60s) here from Si Saket if she wanted. She started laughing her a$$ off. I took that to mean she didn't think the U.S. is the place for them.