Dog - Can Love Find a Way?

OK, she's crazy!

We live mainly in Sydney Australia, with fairly frequent trips to Thailand to visit family.

A while back our dear old Golden Retriever died. We are now ready to have another Dog........

And my wife has found the Dog smile.png A stray in her Soi in Bangkok sad.png

Actually I know the Dog. He's really cute and well behaved. Not the normal 'Dingo' looking mongrel. More the short and hairy variety. Probably the off spring of a Pet.

So..............you can see this coming ... right?

Sweetheart, I'll never want for anything again ...can we bring him to Sydney?

Nice idea. But how practical? I started taking a look.

Can't import direct from Thailand. Needs to pass through an 'approved' country first. etc etc. http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/step-by-step-guides/non-approved-countries

Looks like a real night mare.

Has anyone actually imported a Dog to Australia from Thailand?

Robo

Yes, it can be done, and TV members have done it.

By all means do it. Love for a pet trumps all else!

I seem to recall some people using Malaysia for this. You do not have to stay very long in the approved country as I understand it.

there are companies that will do the whole thing for you. Here's one http://www.jetpets.com.au/services/imports/

The dog will have to spend 10 days in quarantine on arrival.

• Like 1

Hi there Robo.

Not a large dog, but one of the members here fairly recently took a cat back to Australia.

I hope you both have a deep love and deep pockets for that dog.

This was the cost when I quizzed the member about bring a cat to Australia ...

Hi there, sorry I don't check in this forum very much anymore. I am guessing it should have cost around $3,000 but in our case due to all the delays, extra cattery fees & repeat blood tests due to our BAD agent, it was just over $4,000. I mentioned above but my friends were very happy with the service they received shipping via Singapore.

This is the link to the thread ... taking-our-thai-cat-to-australia

At $4,000 or maybe $5,000 Aussie Dollars (larger animal?), I would find it hard to justify the cost.

If you are doing it simply to appease your partner, then, assuming she has access to her own funds, then ask her to pay for the transfer.

Hi there Robo.

Not a large dog, but one of the members here fairly recently took a cat back to Australia.

I hope you both have a deep love and deep pockets for that dog.

This was the cost when I quizzed the member about bring a cat to Australia ...

Hi there, sorry I don't check in this forum very much anymore. I am guessing it should have cost around $3,000 but in our case due to all the delays, extra cattery fees & repeat blood tests due to our BAD agent, it was just over $4,000. I mentioned above but my friends were very happy with the service they received shipping via Singapore.

This is the link to the thread ... taking-our-thai-cat-to-australia

At $4,000 or maybe $5,000 Aussie Dollars (larger animal?), I would find it hard to justify the cost.

If you are doing it simply to appease your partner, then, assuming she has access to her own funds, then ask her to pay for the transfer.

if you have had the dog for quite awhile and bonded with it fair enough that would justify taking it back but a complete stranger not even i would do it.

she doesnt have a buffalo doe's she?w00t.gif

The last two posters are not pet lovers, obviously. sad.png When you love an animal, it's like one of the family and you do what it takes.

I think you can save3 money if you do it yourself rather than through a company, or shop around for best price. Especially if you can route your own travel through an accepted country like Malaysia, thus avoiding the need for a separate trip just to ship the dog.

• Like 1

P.S. I note that people in the old thread referenced talked about having to keep their pet in Malaysia or Singapore for 6 months which would of course explain high costs. however as I read to Oz website this is no longer required:

"The cat or dog does not need to remain in the approved country. The cat or dog may return to a non-approved country after the initial rabies vaccination and testing and then return to the approved country when final preparations are required, prior to export."

It does not however indicate the length of time the animal must be in the approved country prior to export although the illustrative example mentioned had 45 days. Should try to find out from Oz authorities how long the animal needs to be in the approved country prior to export as this will certainly make a difference in whether or not you need to use an agent. Or, you could use a Malaysia-based agent only for the export from Malaysia segment of things.

I attach the government Animal Quarantine instructions on import of a pet to Malaysia. At quick read it looks to me like something you could do yourself, but note that there is a 7 day quarantine period.

GUIDELINES FOR IMPORTATION OF DOGS AND CATS INTO MALAYSIA.pdf

And here it describes the export procedure from Malaysia http://www.dvs.gov.my/en/flow-chart-export

Some other references re import and export from Malaysia:

http://g-pet.com/s-reloc-faq.html

http://puppycom.my/k9export.html (an agent based in Malaysia)

the staff at the Animal Quarantine station at Suvanabhumi are also very helpful and knowledgeable re export from Thailand to different countries.

The last two posters are not pet lovers, obviously.

If that comment was addressed my way, it is well wide of the mark ... dry.png

You don't know me and, as such, not qualified to comment.

To send, what is the better part of half a years Thai wage to transport

a Soi Dog to Australia is not the best use of that money.

It's just past Christmas and the pounds are filled to overflowing in Australia, why not

give a life to a local dog who will, if no owner can be found after some months,

most likely euthanised.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

It's just past Christmas and the pounds are filled to overflowing in Australia, why not

give a life to a local dog who will, if no owner can be found after some months,

most likely euthanised.

and if addressed to me aswell you don't belong here so go back to your hospital bed you couldn't be further from the truth with your comment.

• Like 1

The last two posters are not pet lovers, obviously. sad.pngWhen you love an animal, it's like one of the family and you do what it takes.

I think you can save3 money if you do it yourself rather than through a company, or shop around for best price. Especially if you can route your own travel through an accepted country like Malaysia, thus avoiding the need for a separate trip just to ship the dog.

"likes' are limited to one. that's why:

thumbsup.gif+thumbsup.gif²+thumbsup.gif³

most likely euthanised.

David,

i have always considered you a gentleman but your assessment of pet lovers lacks experience and insight. fellow TV-member "Meatboy" made the remark once "our dogs are our sons and daughters" which i wholeheartedly endorse and the same applies to Sheryl's comment.

any comparison of Thai wages vs. 'dog expenes' are totally irrelevant, assuming of course affordability. one of my dogs is suffering from arthritis and should his condition become unbearable i (or perhaps my wife) will take him to Germany where surgeons are doing nowadays hip replacements and similar "fixes" for pets. i refrain to post the estimated total cost in years of average Thai wages.

most likely euthanised.

and if addressed to me aswell you don't belong here so go back to your hospital bed you couldn't be further from the truth with your comment.

don't be too harsh Meatboy. years ago i would have agreed with David.

If I were to be suddenly banished to OZ, god forbid, the first thing that would come to my mind is taking my 10 dogs with me, soon to be nine as my 13 year old Lab has boarded the bus to Rainbow Bridge and it's a mater of days/hours. Expense would not be a factor even though $4000 each would be over 2 years of my SSA payments from the US. I realize that taking 10 would be impossible but having to choose 1 or two would be just as difficult!

most likely euthanised.

David,

i have always considered you a gentleman but your assessment of pet lovers lacks experience and insight. fellow TV-member "Meatboy" made the remark once "our dogs are our sons and daughters" which i wholeheartedly endorse and the same applies to Sheryl's comment.

any comparison of Thai wages vs. 'dog expenes' are totally irrelevant, assuming of course affordability. one of my dogs is suffering from arthritis and should his condition become unbearable i (or perhaps my wife) will take him to Germany where surgeons are doing nowadays hip replacements and similar "fixes" for pets. i refrain to post the estimated total cost in years of average Thai wages.

Naam, that you for the initial compliment.

In my defence, I'd like to say that maybe you are translating the deep affection that you feel for your adorable friends (dogs) and almost unlimited fiscal resources to the OP's situation.

Plus, we are not talking the long loved Family Pet with whom you have endured Thick and Thin.

Quoting directing from the OP ...

"And my wife has found the Dog smile.png A stray in her Soi in Bangkok sad.png Actually I know the Dog."

... I don't think they are the same situation.

Edited by David48

i have to admit that sometimes dog/pet lovers can't see the forest because of all the trees and the situation is indeed different. but as it happens with humans there's also love at first sight between humans and dogs/pets.

• Like 1

today I have been deeply offended by a long life member calling me not to be a dog lover.

regular members in this section would know I love my dog as much as my wife this I have said week in week out and contribute as much as I can to other posts. I also send what I can to the s.d.foundation and did my bit to help with the rescue in nakon panhom so you can understand my feelings.if it had come from a new member I can understand but from a member with thousands of posts I cannot take this.so this is to the op.read what you can in the pets section and you will see for yourself what I was called couldn't be further from the truth. taffy ps my avatar is my beloved.

wai2.gifwai2.gif Sorry if I offended, not my intention and my comments were certainly not meant to reflect an in depth assessment of or pass judgement on anyone.

I just found it unlikely that a pet lover would discourage someone else from bringing a loved animal abroad with them.

Animals are not interchangable, they are individuals just as we are. The point is the OPs wife loves this specific dog. Doesn't matter that they haven't "owned" the dog for a long time. She loves him and he otherwise has no home.

• Like 1