Taking Our Thai Cat To Australia

As we left Thailand late last year, we planned to take our Thai cat with us. I was going to write a summary of the process once we got her home to Australia, hoping that might help others through the process. What I am writing is slightly different to what I planned, but I do hope it helps others avoid the problems we have had....read on!

As animals cannot be directly imported from Thailand to Australia we spoke to a number of companies and colleagues that have been through the process, and decided that import via either Singapore or Malaysia would work best for us. Following discussions with a number of companies, we chose to go with the Malaysian option.

Getting our cat to Malaysia was relatively easy. Our vet (Thonglor Pet Hospital) provided the vaccinations, information and documents we needed and it was a quick visit to the airport vet at Swampy to get the necessary documents stamped the day before we travelled. I booked the cat as excess baggage on my ticket with Malaysian Airlines and flew to Malaysia in mid-June with her (total fee for the cat and cage was about THB 1,200). All good.

On arrival in Malaysia our import agent - recommended to us by several sources - met us at the airport and collected the documents from me. The import went smoothly, and after about 30 mins I waved off kitty, secure in the knowledge that we would be reunited in Australia in 6 months.

Fast forward 6 months and it was early December. We were settled in Australia and looking forward to our cat arriving. Suddenly the agent went suspiciously quiet. No answer to emails, not answering phone calls. Christmas came..and went...Australian Quarantine was closed...still no news from the company in Malaysia. I figured perhaps Aussie quarantine had just been a bit slow with their import approvals pre-Christmas and maybe we had been held up for that reason.

But no...it is now early March and our cat has still not arrived. The company failed to apply for the import permit, despite assuring us they had done so in December. They rarely answer the phone and never answer emails. When they do answer their phone, the staff yell and virtually accuse us of causing the delays. The final blood test was completed 3 weeks ago and staff at the Australian testing agency (CSIRO) warned me that this agent is not well regarded at all. And today I was advised by Australian Quarantine that they also have major problems with this particular company, and they advised me to engage a different agent. They are unlikely to approve import of our animal through this particular service provider. Because the necessary blood tests are all about to expire, we are literally going to have to start the entire process all over again.

For what it's worth, my colleagues shipped their cat through an agent in Singapore at the same time, and their cat has been home since 2 weeks before Christmas.

Reading back I sound like a fool, but I did not know the process very well and trusted that the company was providing me with good advice. I can only hope that our experience helps others.

I do not intend to name the company publicly, since they still have our pet. But would be happy to release their details to anyone that PMs me.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

What a nightmare! You would think they would want to ship your cat as soon as possible to incur less fees for boarding and food - or are they charging you more for boarding her longer? I hope your cat can join you soon in Australia and arrives in good health. Please write again once the happy reunion takes place!

• 3 months later...

I thought I should update this - we did have a happy ending. After a lot of legwork here at the Australian end we were able to have our cat imported in April - 4 months longer and $1,000 more expensive than we were intially told. She's has a house to roam around, lots of windowsills to balance on, and a nice warm ducted heating vent to lay on when it's cold. She very, very happy to be back with us and has actually become very cuddly and friendly since her ordeal, whereas before she was aloof and agressive.

• Like 1

Hi, I am in the process of working out how to get my cat back to New Zealand (similar issues as Australia with quarantine) can you tell me who not to use and perhaps the name of the SIngapore company that got it right the first time? It is stressful enough locating all the paperwork without freaking out that I will use the wrong company so any help/advice you can give would be most grateful.

From what i learned a few years ago when i was thinking of moving back home to Oz, Australian Customs ONLY see Singapore as acceptable place for the 6 months

May be things changed and Malaysia is also on the list.

Sorry to hear about the troubles and hope you will manage to work it out soon, feel really sorry for the kitty stuck in some cage.

I have 7 pets, 3 dogs and 4 cats and made a decision NOT to return to Oz , so they do not go through the cage hell.

What is an estimate quarantine period for when they arrive in Oz? i was told 3 months minimum, is that still the same or changed?

Edited by phl

Hi Phl,

Perhaps it's changed. You can actually use any country on the DAFF (formerly AQIS) list provided your animal meets the residence requirements. Our colleagues sent their cats to stay with family Canada before importing them to Australia. It worked out the same cost as 6 months in Singapore in a cattery and they got to roam around a family home for the 6 months instead of being locked up. The cats then had the meet the requirements to be imported from Canada to Australia.

The requirement for both Malaysia and Singapore is that the animal has spent 6 months in-country before coming to Aust. In Singapore your cat must spend 1 month in Quarantine & 5 months in a cattery or with friends. In Malaysia they spend 1 week in Quarantine and 5mths3wks in the cattery. There are also very small differences in the number and type of blood tests required for Australian clearance.

GHS

Hi Phl,

Perhaps it's changed. You can actually use any country on the DAFF (formerly AQIS) list provided your animal meets the residence requirements. Our colleagues sent their cats to stay with family Canada before importing them to Australia. It worked out the same cost as 6 months in Singapore in a cattery and they got to roam around a family home for the 6 months instead of being locked up. The cats then had the meet the requirements to be imported from Canada to Australia.

The requirement for both Malaysia and Singapore is that the animal has spent 6 months in-country before coming to Aust. In Singapore your cat must spend 1 month in Quarantine & 5 months in a cattery or with friends. In Malaysia they spend 1 week in Quarantine and 5mths3wks in the cattery. There are also very small differences in the number and type of blood tests required for Australian clearance.

GHS

Thank you for the info, so once animal passes the 6 months, is it allowed to be flown into Australia and straight home or have another 3 months in Australia also?

Before it was another 3 months in Oz as wel.

I was aware of taking it to other approved country like Canada, but they also had a rule that the owner had to prove residence there for the entire period of 6 months.

Glad to see rules are easing up, perhaps my gang might one day get to smell Oz air :)

• 4 months later...

Hi there, sorry I don't check in this forum very much anymore. I am guessing it should have cost around $3,000 but in our case due to all the delays, extra cattery fees & repeat blood tests due to our BAD agent, it was just over $4,000. I mentioned above but my friends were very happy with the service they received shipping via Singapore.

• Like 1

Hi there, sorry I don't check in this forum very much anymore. I am guessing it should have cost around $3,000 but in our case due to all the delays, extra cattery fees & repeat blood tests due to our BAD agent, it was just over $4,000. I mentioned above but my friends were very happy with the service they received shipping via Singapore.

Agreeing with the poster above^^, thanks for the update ... thumbsup.gif