Marble or granite slabs for kitchen work surfaces.

plwch

Sorry if this is the wrong area of the forum. Please move it if is.

Anyway, I want to put granite or marble slab on the surface of my kitchen work benches.

About 6-7 square meters all together. The current surface is stained wood.

I can't find a company or worker or supplier.

Anyone able to help?

Cheers.

I would suggest granite.

I had experience with both tops in the past and I found marble to deteriorate after sometime, making grooves and also can be scratched easily.

Granite is forever although I believe more expensive.

Sorry can't offer advice about a supplier.

Edited by Costas2008

I would suggest granite.

I had experience with both tops in the past and I found marble to deteriorate after sometime, making grooves and also can be scratched easily.

Granite is forever although I believe more expensive.

Sorry can't offer advice about a supplier.

Indeed.

I would prefer granite, but who can supply and fit.

I'm not too bothered about cost because, as you pointed out, it's forever.

Somebody must do it, every Government office is covered in the stuff.

Edited by plwch

I have in both my inner and outer kitchen. Bought it here in Donsila. The shop is on the left side of the road if you come from Chiang Kong. (route to Paya Mengrai/Wiengchai) 900 Thb per sqr. mtr but in black it is more expensive, arround 2.000 p.m.

So althogether not that expensive.

You find also various shops on the highway in CR

Granite is the best. Marble is too soft and wears out quite quick. Granite can easily be worked on with a hand grinder, rounded edges and corners. Don't forget to purchase a small bottle of a special varnish to seal the grinded areas. The varnish is available at the place /shop where you buy the granite. My kitchen is now six years old and still looks nice and is easy to keep clean. My wife loves it.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

post-47658-13894882069688_thumb.jpg

When we did our kitchen and bathrooms several years ago, we ordered from a roadside place heading back into town from Makro. Our contractor was the one who did the installation, not without drama. That place looked closed the last time we drove by but there are many other roadside suppliers in Chiang Rai, making them easy to locate.

The place VF is talking about is called Chiang Rai Granite. It has moved but it is still in the same general area, possibly opposite the Art Bridge. There are a couple of smaller places on the opposite side of the road. We got ours there too.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The big supplier of all things building that we used to refer to as American Standard just before the left turn from the hiway to the old bus station can order and install. They can cut holes and polish edges to order too.

As a pointer, there's is quite thin and needs a substrate board eg "Viva" board as the granite alone will struggle to span front to back if only supported on cabinets. If you have a concrete sub-counter you can ignore this, but make sure the mortar bed is solid as wives making Som Tam can actually crack it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Granite, although extremely long-lasting can be a bit of a burden too.

It is a very hard surface and one which plays havoc with that heirloom bone china you've been keeping in the box Gran left you.

Same goes for your Stuart Crystal.

We have granite now but in the new kitchen it will be a combination of wood (IKEA) and stainless steel. (Must protect the last surviving teacup.

I thought I posted about the option of "poured concrete countertops".

I would enter a well-built concrete countertop against even the most beautiful granite or marble and I have installed all three.

Cheers

You did, but it was in this other thread.

Don't worry, you are not getting senile just yet smile.png

Sophon

I thought I posted about the option of "poured concrete countertops".

I would enter a well-built concrete countertop against even the most beautiful granite or marble and I have installed all three.

Cheers

You did, but it was in this other thread.

Don't worry, you are not getting senile just yet smile.png

Sophon

Thanks. I really owe you one for letting me know. I have those senior moments enough anymore that I was kindof bothered by it.

Kind Regards.

post-206265-0-44335500-1415619206_thumb.

Since moving to Thailand, I've built several kitchen counter tops. Haven't yet tried granite, though. I did a an L-shaped one (with 2 sinks) with t&g maka wood which looks like and is as hard as teak. did another L-shaped one with full 2" thick teak slabs. Have done a few with terrazzo, which is a half inch layer of colored cement with white and black stoned embedded. It's all ground down smooth and sealed. On a base of poured-in-place 2.5" thick concrete. Has curved edges and rectangular space provisions for sinks and cook stoves.

There was a granite supply shop east of the common hospital, but they must have moved. About 12 yrs ago, Chiang Rai had polished granite installed on many of its downtown sidewalks. After the initial rain, they realized it was slippery. Then the city fathers, in their sage wisdom, hired dozens of workers with hand-held grinders to scuff up the surfaces. The granite supplier was bosom buddies with the mayor.

Since moving to Thailand, I've built several kitchen counter tops. Haven't yet tried granite, though. I did a an L-shaped one (with 2 sinks) with t&g maka wood which looks like and is as hard as teak. did another L-shaped one with full 2" thick teak slabs. Have done a few with terrazzo, which is a half inch layer of colored cement with white and black stoned embedded. It's all ground down smooth and sealed. On a base of poured-in-place 2.5" thick concrete. Has curved edges and rectangular space provisions for sinks and cook stoves.

There was a granite supply shop east of the common hospital, but they must have moved. About 12 yrs ago, Chiang Rai had polished granite installed on many of its downtown sidewalks. After the initial rain, they realized it was slippery. Then the city fathers, in their sage wisdom, hired dozens of workers with hand-held grinders to scuff up the surfaces. The granite supplier was bosom buddies with the mayor.

Would love to see your work...or atleast photos.

The story about Chang Rai...pricelsss.