Your favourite beach?

at least, he could have given us also the old Viking way of orientation as well. It's the Coral Bay Beach, which is nice, like all the others, under certain circumstances. There is no best beach all year round, because conditions change during the year. Best sand and sea is clearly Middle to South Chaweng. But not during Monsum Season. Then Northern Chaweng is better, But not if you want it to be secludedly. For that beaches in the South West would be better. But not if you want to swim in the sea in June. For that Menam would be better. But not in November etc etc etc

• Like 2

There is some great snorkelling around Hinta Hinyai too, with access via Sunrise beach.

shhhh... facepalm.gif ..... that's supposed to be a secret! tongue.png

Re Birdmans' comment ....I admit I've not done that for about three years, but when water is calm, it's quiet safe at Hinto HinYai... (usually after April) but I don't know what the coral is like now... wink.png

Last year there was new coral developing at Ban Tai beach, but not been in to see whether the storms have destroyed it... (add to list of things to do!) facepalm.gif

Maenam beach a little bit wavy today. ... west coast beaches Lipa Noi are not bad, will post some images later.... tongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy

There is some great snorkelling around Hinta Hinyai too, with access via Sunrise beach.

nether great nor safe

Adequate for activity that doesn't require a boat and safe enough for a swimmer operating within his comfort zone for 2hrs at a time repeatedly without incident.

Edited by evadgib

on Samui.....that's relativising the message a bit, 'cause snorkeling at Samui isn't great at all. It is nice on Koh Tao and on Koh Mae. Great? at the Bahamas, Maledives, Southern Pacific etc etc Thailand? Koh Mak, Koh Tarutao Archipelago, other spots at the Andaman and Koh Tao

Safety? didn't a chinese tourist drown there not too long ago?

Yes, agree Samui not the best place on the islands for snorkeling, .... last I saw of Koh Toa, it's really good days are gone too! (perhaps one day it will come back, the same with Mae Haad on KP...)

Really it comes down to want people perceive as a "good beach" ... some want the crowds and all the trappings! Some want to be like Acker Bilk.... Stranger on the shore!

Right now, Lipa Noi, beach is quite nice... not busy... which suits some!

More and more "higher end resorts" along that area, between Raja ferry area and Nathon...

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG

There are times of the year when this area has very low tides.... but this is now!

IMG_9835.JPG

• Like 1

sure, if you compare it to Amazonas backwaters or Shark Bay/Australia or Cap of Good Hope or...... Have you ever been to the real great snorkeling places on earth?? no??

My answers were intended to enlighten the OP re activities that can be undertaken from a specific L-O-C-A-L beach when conditions allow; indeed the same beach had a 2 tonne baby blue Whale washed up on it some 10-12 years ago.

• Like 1

I was wondering, while we are at it, and I hope not to take the topic way out in left field, but how much of the beach can a resort claim?

That last picture of the benches and umbrellas up above by Samuijimmy reminded me of this question that's been nagging me.

Are there actually "private beaches" in Thailand?

I thought the King owns all the land and beaches?

By law, how far can they go from the resort and claim?

Lastly, again if you notice that last picture by Samuijimmy, they go even one step further during the evenings and put tables with candles, even claiming more beach were one has no choice but to either walk in the water to get past or just walk through the crowd of tables with people eating, them looking at you and wondering, "what the hell is that guy doing walking here while I'm sucking down my glass of red?"

Sorry if I'm off topic.

I was wondering, while we are at it, and I hope not to take the topic way out in left field, but how much of the beach can a resort claim?

That last picture of the benches and umbrellas up above by Samuijimmy reminded me of this question that's been nagging me.

Lastly, again if you notice that last picture by Samuijimmy, they go even one step further during the evenings and put tables with candles, even claiming more beach were one has no choice but to either walk in the water to get past or just walk through the crowd of tables with people eating, them looking at you and wondering, "what the hell is that guy doing walking here while I'm sucking down my glass of red?"

Sorry if I'm off topic.

There are no private beaches - although people may own and limit access across the land next to the beach. eg resorts can deny access through the resort, unless there is a government road through the middle as happened at the Sala Samui in Choengmon.

The putting out of tables at night on a beach is illegal - but there again so are a lot of things. Common sense normally prevails.

Sorry - a senior moment there. Of course there is no common sense. Tea money allows lots of things to go undisturbed though.

Yes, there are some resorts that make it difficult to get to the beaches.... security guards all around road access points ....bah.gif ... some times you need a Kayak to get around them! rolleyes.giftongue.pngThey cannot stop you from landing, even though they do try! sad.png

I have had that problem with my spy cam!.... I've done it a few times, just to get a reaction!!! biggrin.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Sorry if I'm off topic.

There are no private beaches - although people may own and limit access across the land next to the beach. eg resorts can deny access through the resort, unless there is a government road through the middle as happened at the Sala Samui in Choengmon.

The putting out of tables at night on a beach is illegal - but there again so are a lot of things. Common sense normally prevails.

Sorry - a senior moment there. Of course there is no common sense. Tea money allows lots of things to go undisturbed though.

Yes, there are some resorts that make it difficult to get to the beaches.... security guards all around road access points ....bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif alt=bah.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4274630315 width=19 height=19> ... some times you need a Kayak to get around them! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717 width=20 height=20>xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png pagespeed_url_hash=3761137055 width=20 height=20> They cannot stop you from landing, even though they do try! sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

I have had that problem with my spy cam!.... I've done it a few times, just to get a reaction!!! biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579 width=20 height=20>

Hope you will never try that at one of the 'bird nests islands' SJ, not without some keflar at least. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm off topic.

Yes, there are some resorts that make it difficult to get to the beaches.... security guards all around road access points ....bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif alt=bah.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4274630315 width=19 height=19> ... some times you need a Kayak to get around them! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717 width=20 height=20>xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png pagespeed_url_hash=3761137055 width=20 height=20> They cannot stop you from landing, even though they do try! sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

I have had that problem with my spy cam!.... I've done it a few times, just to get a reaction!!! biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579 width=20 height=20>

Hope you will never try that at one of the 'bird nests islands' SJ, not without some keflar at least. whistling.gif

You mean here!.... nah! .... too far to paddle ! tongue.pngfacepalm.gif

IMG_9634.JPG

As a rule of thumb anything below the highest high water mark (HWM) is deemed "Crown Foreshore" & is normally the property of the state.

HTH

Interesting. Learn something new everyday.

So, for example, if we take that last pic by SJ with the recliners, they can set way down to the water mark?

In the pic, seems to be about half a foot from where they are already set up on the dry sand, so that means, I can set my beach towel right there in front of them, and besides getting wet by the waves coming in, they can't do anything about it, correct?

I tried Google and did not get much from that (Crown Foreshore).

Still trying to get my brain to understand this concept.

Edited by MantisMan

Found this online;

A recent change to the regulations means that all new constructions must have peaked roofs, rather than flat ones.

Stage 1 – up to 10 metres of the beach

No construction is permitted in Stage 1

Stage 2 – up to 50 metres from the beach

Single storey buildings up to a height of 6 metres (including the roof), and no more than 75 square metres floor space can be built on Stage 2 land.

Stage 3 – up to 200 metres from the beach

Larger buildings up to 12 metres high and to a size not exceeding 2000 square metres can be built on Stage 3 classified land.

Stage 4 – more than 200 metres from the beach

Buildings up to 12 metres high, no restriction on size.

• Like 2

As a rule of thumb anything below the highest high water mark (HWM) is deemed "Crown Foreshore" & is normally the property of the state.

HTH

So, for example, if we take that last pic by SJ with the recliners, they can set way down to the water mark?

In the pic, seems to be about half a foot from where they are already set up on the dry sand, so that means, I can set my beach towel right there in front of them, and besides getting wet by the waves coming in, they can't do anything about it, correct?

You can (legally) set your towel down next to them!

• Like 1

Found this online;

A recent change to the regulations means that all new constructions must have peaked roofs, rather than flat ones.

Stage 1 – up to 10 metres of the beach

No construction is permitted in Stage 1

Stage 2 – up to 50 metres from the beach

Single storey buildings up to a height of 6 metres (including the roof), and no more than 75 square metres floor space can be built on Stage 2 land.

Stage 3 – up to 200 metres from the beach

Larger buildings up to 12 metres high and to a size not exceeding 2000 square metres can be built on Stage 3 classified land.

Stage 4 – more than 200 metres from the beach

Buildings up to 12 metres high, no restriction on size.

Right, but you also need to look at the different zones. Some part of a beach can be in a so-called “town-zone” and building restriction says: 2 meter inside own land from public area/road; 3 meter from water; ½ meter from neighbour (if no openings/windows); maximum 12 meters high, which can be four store; cannot remember size but much more than 75 sq.m., may be the 2,000 sq.m.

Fisherman Village is an example, and also at the middle part of Maenam Bay Beach, one or two hundred meters each side of “the old pier” with the Koh Phangan ferry.

On Stage2 there is also a separation rule between each building (think it’s 6 or 10 meters) and that they cannot be connected with for example a roof covered walk way.

The change dates back to around 2005 or 2006.

• Like 1

HTH

for every piece of land in Thailand, private persons or companies can own, there are land documents. So, which land documents are used for that part of the beaches above the HWM? There aren't any......

HTH

Life is a never ending journey of learning ..... you think you learn sometime, and somebody changes the rules!!! whistling.gif

I am not one to go in search of a place that has lounge chairs or deck chairs .... and have to cough up 100 baht, so I don't get sand where the sun don't shine (usually!tongue.png )

But some of these places do "groom" the beach each morning, to clean up seaweed and debris left by the high tides over night... so as to provide a nice clean (er) place for people to enjoy the area of beach......

Buying a drink will probably prevent anyone saying you can't site there.... but I don't think they can really force you to do that either.... just don't ask t use to toilet! ... some one I know did that .... and the place said no! w00t.gif ....sad.png

Ban Por beach, for those who don't like crowds and being harassed by vendors and resorts / bars... usually cleaner than some....

IMG_4524.CR2.jpg

or parts of Maenam beach.... this is near what is called Buddha beach.

IMG_9991.JPG

I just came from phiphi & maya beach.

Aparently whatever they did to the beach is moot, because the tsunami wiped out and reshaped everything.

But PhiPhi is just a big tourist trap. I don't think I'll ever go there again, unless it's with my own yacht one day.

Nearly all beaches (worth mentioning) on Samui has been mentioned in this thread.

My favourite beach I'd recommend you is "Silver Beach/Crystal Bay". It's not so big beach, but it's quality and not quantity. On the left side, you have a spectacular view of almost entire east side of Samui & Chaweng in a distance. On right side, you can snorkeling on reefs. Water is usually calm and not so deep, but a bit out it's deep enough to swim.

There's also MY favourite beach which I wouldn't recommend and really not worth mentioning...

• Like 2

Mantisman #47:

"Crown Foreshore" is the term given to the area that is neither land or seabed due to the effect of the tide. In some places it can extend for miles as shown in this example:

Morecambe Bay - The Killer Tide - YouTube

Edited by evadgib