Problems With Toyota Fortuner?

Hello all, am thinking of purhasing a Toyota Fortuner and have heard from locals that this car will have brake problems at about 1000 km. Has anyone else heard this and any owners of the Fortuner have any issues/pluses they can tell me?

Basically looking for a second car, maybe an SUV-type/non mini van looking vehicle.

Thanks All.

Hello all, am thinking of purhasing a Toyota Fortuner and have heard from locals that this car will have brake problems at about 1000 km. Has anyone else heard this and any owners of the Fortuner have any issues/pluses they can tell me?

Basically looking for a second car, maybe an SUV-type/non mini van looking vehicle.

Thanks All.

Nope

The only problems with the brakes on Fortuners are if you modify the wheels and do not ensure they are designed for the car (ie adeqate cooling for the brake system).

You should really post this in the Motoring forum, plenty of very happy Fortuner owners there that will be only too happy to advise :o

Can a mod move this thread please?

I have had MANY performance cars in the UK.. (Benz, BMW) I now have a Izuzu D-Max Master Adventure 4x4.. although its a 3 litre it ain't that fast... but reliable... I have had it 2 years and NEVER have I had any problems with it.. My Wife's Honda Jazz is however always in the garage.. Are Fortuna's all they are cracked up to be?

Make of my comments what you like

TP

I drove a girlfriend's Fortuner a few times and hated it. Vulgar is the word that comes to mind. The reason I drove is because she found it too cumbersome. I remember parking in a busy carpark and it was a joke trying to get out. Who wants to do a three point turn to get out of their driveway?

Also have you noticed how people in a Fortuner look like they're peering over a wall?

These vehicles are probably fine out on the larger roads, but they still have the problem that plagues America.....they are using much more commodities than are necessary to get a person from A to B.

It is an absolute joke that America is run by oilmen. Why do they put up with it? Most of their problems, and I don't include not being able to spell, could be solved at a stroke if there was a swingeing tax on gasoline to make them downsize like Europe. They could stuff Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Venezuela and everyone else they would like to keep down, without actually stuffing them. Som num naa to all you who voted for them, the trouble is you som num naa the rest of us too.

Suzuki Vitara is a highly recommended alternative I'd say.

Edited by sleepyjohn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have recently purchased a brand new 2.7L fortuner. It's been two weeks and I've had a brake problem and had it readjusted by the toyota when I went for the 1,000km checkup. I didn't change anything related to the wheels. Since this is my first SUV I thought I needed more time to get used to the brakes. But, it was just a bad adjustment by Toyota. Not only this, I am getting all sorts of squeaky noises fromt the 4 wheel gear and the steering wheel. Since I am very aware of noises, I went for another checkup at Toyota. They told me that the car is still new and some of the plastics were rubbing against each other making noises. They sprayed around some parts after removing alot of the parts (A BRAND NEW CAR). I won't bitch about it if that solved the problem. But the same problem occurred again. My sales agent introduced me to another servicing center at Sukhumvit so I've went there and asked if they could solve the problem. They looked at it for a day and told me that I needed to replace my parts with new ones. What's worse is that, they've told me that they've never seen any other Fortuners in this kind of condition before. I went the next day and had them replace the already new parts into NEWER ones. But then again, the problem still isn't solved. Overall, I went to the Toyota servicing center 5 times in a week. It is not only time consuming but frustrating when you have decided to buy a new car to avoid all sorts of small problems but instead gets bigger ones. This is my 3rd car from this sales agent and she would most likely regret for her selection of fortuner for me. I asked for a new fortuner this saturday again. I hope that works out fine. In conclusion, I do not recommend you to get the fortuner after all the problems I've been through. Hope this helps.

Transferring this thread to the Motors in Thailand forum.

I agree that large, cumbersome SUV's are barely rational in a big open nation like USA, Canada or Australia, and absurd in Thailand. I know, they're functional and luxurious, etc., but on narrow roads filled with cycles, they're like an elephant among toy poodles.

I agree that large, cumbersome SUV's are barely rational in a big open nation like USA, Canada or Australia, and absurd in Thailand. I know, they're functional and luxurious, etc., but on narrow roads filled with cycles, they're like an elephant among toy poodles.

The reason I was looking into a big 4x4 a few weeks ago was exactly due to some of the roads in Thailand, PB. There's been many times when I've been driving along in the Saluna at around 80kph outside of BKK when the road has unknowingly disappeared under me. Next thing the suspension coils are almost popping through the bodywork.

What's since put me off, however, is exactly what sleepyjohn pointed out above - specifically the fuel consuption. The Fortuner was the one we were looking at back then, but now I'd rather go for something else entirely (not 4x4). I've also heard the Fortuner is a dog to drive at anything above 80kph.

12,000KLMs and no complaints so far. Brakes are fine, as are the brakes on all my mate's cars who have Fortuners, and all the Fortuners I've sold in the past 6-8 months.

FortunerAndy3.jpg

As your the man in the know..what would you recommend, a Fortuner or Vigo?

I appreciate they're different types of 4x4....

But, what are the weak/strong points of each vehicle...?

Thanks

After talking to several petrolheads including two fortuna owners and one whose dad is a Toyota dealer .

The braking problem does appear to be real on a percentage of Fortunas and becomes evident before the first service or not at all ,There is a pressure group building to sue Toyota for non disclosure of the problem and no transparent recall .

There are two independant garages near to where I work offering fixes for the problem they charge 300 baht and appear to be achieving the result as they do a roaring trade.

The issue seems to eminate from the adjustment of the front /back brake bias adjustment valve setting . I cannot actually agree or dusagree with the truth of that except I drove a comapny Fortuna with the brake issue very noticable at 800 kilometres and then we sent it to the garage mentioned above and it came back with no braking problems . ????????.

This is sort of gossip / urban legend stuff but with some substance I believe ...but what do I care I drive a Toyota Wish and it has absolutely the best brakes I have ever had !!!in fact overall just about the best car I have ever owned.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

I am a communications student from the University of Southern California, im trying to find some information for a project on the consumer profile of fortuner and Hilux Vigo drivers in Bangkok. If you are a driver of the Toyota HILUX VIGO or the FORTUNER i would really appreciate it if you could give a one word answer to each of these questions below. it would be so much help!! THANK YOU!!

1) Which car do you drive?

2)What are your hobbies and interests?

3) What genre of music do you enjoy listening to?

4) What publications (newspaper/magazines) do you read regularly?

5) Your favorite hang out in Bangkok?

6) Do you play sports?

7) What is your occupation? (optional)

Thanks Again!!

Rachel

Toyota offer free master cylinder upgrades for Fortuners under warranty. Ask about it next time you're in for service. Did it on mine, makes a big difference.
I think it is master cylinder related,ie its too small, ive driven 10 different fortuners /vigos and im not quite happy with the feel of the brakes,not the performance as such,. as with most front heavy vehicles i think the back brakes being drums arent an issue, i feel on a vehicle of this sort discs on the back would be wasted in normal driving, what i did notice was that if the pedal if pushed hard it will almost got to the floor and it makes the truck jump when going from drive to neutral at lights etc while servo is exhaling,( in auto ),...ps, the fortuner and the vigo in my opinion are entirely suitable for thailands roads,.. Edited by mikethevigoman

...completely in line with Toyota Thailand's low priority for safety and spec in order to mass produce basic, popular and affordable vehicles.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for, which ain't a lot on a cheap modified pick up like the Fortuner in Thailand.

You can always upgrade the brake setup if it bothers you anyway.

Is there a governing body that regulates safety standards for new Thai-made vehicles? Are there crash-tests, etc. and who decides the allowable parameters for safety?

Toyota offer free master cylinder upgrades for Fortuners under warranty. Ask about it next time you're in for service. Did it on mine, makes a big difference.

Toyota Dealer in Loei done mine free of charge also when I was in for a service.

I find that comment absurd. I drive all over Udon Thani (downtown) and the surrounding area, no problems so far.

The reason I was looking into a big 4x4 a few weeks ago was exactly due to some of the roads in Thailand, PB. There's been many times when I've been driving along in the Saluna at around 80kph outside of BKK when the road has unknowingly disappeared under me. Next thing the suspension coils are almost popping through the bodywork.

What's since put me off, however, is exactly what sleepyjohn pointed out above - specifically the fuel consuption. The Fortuner was the one we were looking at back then, but now I'd rather go for something else entirely (not 4x4). I've also heard the Fortuner is a dog to drive at anything above 80kph.

I routinely drive mine 110-125, would go faster but the wifey gets on my azz. Far from a dog my friend. In the twisties if the sign says 75 I just leave it at 110 and no problems at all.

If fuel consumption is a concern then don't get the Fortuner; mine only getting 11kpl (diesel auto).

I think it is master cylinder related,ie its too small, ive driven 10 different fortuners /vigos and im not quite happy with the feel of the brakes,not the performance as such,. as with most front heavy vehicles i think the back brakes being drums arent an issue, i feel on a vehicle of this sort discs on the back would be wasted in normal driving, what i did notice was that if the pedal if pushed hard it will almost got to the floor and it makes the truck jump when going from drive to neutral at lights etc while servo is exhaling,( in auto ),...ps, the fortuner and the vigo in my opinion are entirely suitable for thailands roads,..

I'll go further and say they're a wise choice given the different road surfaces one can encounter here.

I really can't understand some of the comments (bashing) I read on this forum about the Fortuner. I guess there's a lot of really stupid people in Thailand with more money than brains; based on the number of Fortuners I see everyday. For me, it's a decent value for the money spent.

Going to Loei one day I hit a BAD pothole; I really believe a small car would have suffered permanent damage of some kind. It was a massive jolt yet the Fortuner took it with no problem.

I've got 26K on mine and never a problem with braking. However the next time I'm in for service will inquire about the larger master cylinder; probably can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All.

well... read this...

well, read this...

On 22/05/2007 I went to replace disk brakes and brake pasts of my Toyota Fortuner. The day after my car was delivered, while I was driving down from Kata hill, I found myself driving the car completely without brakes.

The morning after the accident, I contacted a Lawyer in Phuket in order to sue Toyota but he refused to take my case explaining that I could not have advanced any damage request to Toyota because that day, I didn’t lose my life and I didn’t get hurt. He also made a comment saying that life is not so worthy in Thailand…

The same day I contacted also Toyota so to know their opinion about this accident and they just offered to come to pick the car up, bring it to the service department in Phuket and fix the problem.

Since it wasn’t my intention to drive this car any longer and I wanted Toyota to retire the car I threatened to divulge this story to the media and finally I got some attention from the head office in Bangkok.

On 08/06/2007 a team of six technicians and managers came from Bangkok and inspected the car. The same day Toyota admitted its fault and responsibility, supplied me a spare car (unfortunately not a Fortuner but a second-hand truck) and sent me a letter of apologies confirming the intention to buy the car back at the same price I paid (970,000 baht). The letter was sent by Toyota Pearl Co.,Ltd and signed by the General Manager, Mr. Wibonchai Na-Ranong.

A few days later I received copy of the purchase agreement proposed and I was really surprised when I read the last clause of the agreement: “The Customer acknowledge and understand that the purchase of the said car in the Memorandum of Understanding, the Company considered as the special deal only for Customer Satisfaction, the Customer shall not never expose, reveal or transfer any statement or any section of this MOU at all conditions”.

Since this clause sounds like the intention to keep such an accident in the dark I didn’t accept the agreement and I replied that was without any doubt responsibility of Toyota to explain if the braking system defect is due to the service department fault or if it is a defect in term of the car. In both cases, Toyota Fortuners buyers should be informed if there is a risk that such mistake could be possibly repeated in the future compromising Toyota clients’ safety.

If there is a defect in terms of the car, typically around the brakes, that something should be subject to recall, it should be public, and it should be the owners of these cars should be notified and really told to come in and replace the car, not trying to hide the problem.

I added that I was the first person interested in knowing the truth about this ‘accident’ and I reserved the faculty and the right to divulge, expose, reveal what happened avoiding other drivers to experience such an unpleasant situation.

After a few days of silence a phone call from ‘Toyota Public Relations Office’ followed my letter and I was invited me to accept the agreement as they were very concerned about their reputation. So, I forwarded my last offer to refund the car, refund the money I paid for the car I rented (from 22/05 to 08/06), pay for moral damages and most importantly invite all Fortuners Owners who fixed the brakes in the last six months for a ‘free of charge’ brakes control.

Most funny, in the meantime, the local police stopped my colleague who was driving the spare car supplied by Toyota and retired his driving license since this car wasn’t insured. His driving license is still in Kathu Police station and he also paid a fine of 500 Baht.

On 25/06/2007, ‘Toyota Public Relations Office’ called again and refused all my requests asking to come to retire the spare car they supplied.

At present, my Fortuner is still parked in front of my office without brakes…what you suggest to do now? Is there a Consumers Association in Thailand that can help me with this?

Hi notoyota

This is a hard one, dont know what to say, think you should go all the way with this, talk to some car magazines, BKK post, maybe contact head office Japan. good luck with this.

I have a Fortuner but have never had a problem, will ask them when i go for next service.

• 1 month later...

Last week I requested that the Buriram Toyota dealer replace the Master Cylinder. The service desk clerk went to the office and came back and made an appointment for Monday. Yesterday I had the 40,000 K service completed and at no charge to me they installed a new Master Cylinder. I am very happy with this vehicle and it is very suitable for the potholes "up country" in Buriram Province. Perhaps other dealerships in Thailand also take care of annual tax registration but it is a service never offered in America to me.

I find that comment absurd. I drive all over Udon Thani (downtown) and the surrounding area, no problems so far.

I think it's funny. Try to drive on the road to my house with non-SUV type car. There are huge, deep pot holes, and when it rains it all turns into a mudslide. We have some friends that actually don't come to visit us for fear of damaging their cars...

Granted, of all the km I drive, only about 0.5% need the high clearance and the 4WD. But it's a pretty important 0.5%... :o

I would not want to miss the 4WD in corners either. 1 Year on I still think the Fortuner is a fantastic car.

• 1 month later...

I am seriously thinking of buying a Fortuna from Pearl. I asked the customer relations about the man with the total brake failure, and I have emailed him waiting a reply. Khun Blue told me that his, your problem was a leaking brake line and the reason for the failure was perhaps and accident which ruptured the brake line. I am only telling you what they told me.

I am concerned and have been inquiring. Would love a response.

Admiral

• 9 months later...

I have a fortuner, had it for 3 yrs. until today sunday. I have never had a problem! its a flying machine done nearly 70k. great on corners and great at speed over the rough! one thing when I was thinking of upgrading to disc's all round went to A&T autos Phetchabun. He had done his but suggested an extra airtank for the braking system! he fitted it and put top quality pads on the front discs. Told me if it didnt feel good, money back. Well I get 30% more brake power and am very very pleased. ABS and brakes work very well and no front dip! The cost 18months ago 2000baht.

Still running on orginal tyres, and no lose of grip. Travel 100ks to work and back everyday and has the are rebuilding the 21 between Phetchabun and Lomsak, I travel on all road conditions at between 100 and 130 ks. The car performs well, accelation to tops, steering spot on, braking excellant in all weathers.

Alas fuel consumation ugh! But to use the wifes Jazz, I would have to drive slower and would not feel so safe!

Alas today, starter motor problem, phoned Toyota coming out and hopefully its a warrenty thing?

ITs a Fortuner exclusive 3lt auto. (I think I love it more than the wife 'cause she breaks down all the time over something! LOL)

post-58901-1215320968_thumb.jpg