Buying car from another province - Red plates rules?

TramsRepus

GF just order a car for me ( I have to pay for it from a northern province due to shortest delivery time. But I now got concern about driving outside the province with red plates. Will any insurance be valid if I have an accident in let say BKK or Pattaya? Will the car eveen have any insurance during the red plate period?

I have been told that you are not supposed to take a car with red plates out of the province, but I have done this many times, and driven at night, and never been stopped.

I have also been told that you should re-register out of province white plates if you are in a different province and I think that maybe a myth too and both my car and bike have out of province plates and never a problem with plod or arranging insurance.

I know the driving at night rule on red plate rule is genuine, but never come across it being enforced.

SDM

Had my car delivered from Udonthani and driving in Pattaya for 3 month already. Already had an accident blink.png with a motorbike (13 year old at night drove in to me from the back while standing still) and insurance handled everything, no problem. My wife told me that officially you are not allowed to drive with a red-plate after sunset. It sounds like a BIG BS, but hey, TIT. Also, the insurance company didn't mention it.

Correct you aren't supposed to drive after sunset and before sunrise on red plates but it's a ridiculous rule that isn't enforced. I also think it's ludicrous to come up with such rules in the first place when the authorities know full well they won't be enforced anyway given TiT. Anyway, my car is on red plates and I've driven all the around country in the past month or so including at night and there's no way I can avoid this even if I wanted to. I finish work at 6pm and by the time I'm home sometimes it's midnight after going out for dinner etc. it's just the way life is when you live in Bangkok. The only thing I doubt I can do is get permission to drive my car to a neighboring country on red plates. I believe white plates are required first, and that's only the first step.

Correct you aren't supposed to drive after sunset and before sunrise on red plates but it's a ridiculous rule that isn't enforced. I also think it's ludicrous to come up with such rules in the first place when the authorities know full well they won't be enforced anyway given TiT. Anyway, my car is on red plates and I've driven all the around country in the past month or so including at night and there's no way I can avoid this even if I wanted to. I finish work at 6pm and by the time I'm home sometimes it's midnight after going out for dinner etc. it's just the way life is when you live in Bangkok. The only thing I doubt I can do is get permission to drive my car to a neighboring country on red plates. I believe white plates are required first, and that's only the first step.

If you need to travel out of province in red plates, you can request permission for this from the DLT and it will be noted in the log book so no more BiB fines. But that also means you'll need to keep the log book up to date, or they'll just fine you for that :)

you can drive on red plates any where....but you must fill in the brown book for every journey,,,even if going 100 mtrs to your next door neighbours....you can drive after 6pm but your are supposed to get permission from the garage who sold you the car ????...I was stopped on red plates a couple of months ago the police asked straight a way to look at the brown book...you have to fill in the brown book before you start your journey.....a crazy situation....but this is Thailand.....( TIT )...just get your wife/ girlfriend to read the set of rules in the front of the brown book all the info you need...if she can read and if she can read if she can explain to you in your own language...this is the problem most times the partner doesn't read the rules in the brown book....