Eyeglass prescription

JesseFrank

I want to order eyeglasses online and would need a prescription.

Been to Banglamung, Pattaya City and Somdet hospital in Sriracha, but neither do eye prescriptions.

As far as i'm aware the local optical shops refuse to give you a prescription, which is understandable, but even if they did i wouldn't trust the accuracy of it .

I assume that BHP will be able to give me a prescription, but I'm afraid that the profit from ordering online has disappeared after they present me with the bill .

Any suggestions ?

Got a prescription from Phyathai hospital in Sriracha, when I did a full eye exam there. Assume you could just get a prescription without the full exam.

Additionally Euro optics, across from Royal Garden on second road does a thorough job, not sure what she would charge if you just went for the prescription, without buying your glasses there, but could be worth asking.

Got a prescription from Phyathai hospital in Sriracha, when I did a full eye exam there. Assume you could just get a prescription without the full exam.

Additionally Euro optics, across from Royal Garden on second road does a thorough job, not sure what she would charge if you just went for the prescription, without buying your glasses there, but could be worth asking.

This guy would be OK for a prescription only:

http://www.pattayaeyecenter.com/

I would suggest this over Euro Optics.

Also can go Pattaya International Hospital. No problem to get a scrip.

Phyathai a good idea too, but that's not in Pattaya.

If your eyesight is really that bad that you are unable to see a Tesco/Lotus or a 7-11 buy a Labrador.

If not, i.e. you managed to find it but can't read the prices, go into said Tesco/Lotus or 7 and try a pair off the revolving rack.

Or you could sit in a chair while a chap in a white coat says.....

"and now" .... click.

"how about now".... click.

If your eyesight is really that bad that you are unable to see a Tesco/Lotus or a 7-11 buy a Labrador.

If not, i.e. you managed to find it but can't read the prices, go into said Tesco/Lotus or 7 and try a pair off the revolving rack.

"and now" .... click.

Apparently written by a guy with no astigmatism. Off the shelf lenses are useless for those of us that do have it.

• Like 1

"and now" .... click.

Thanks for your useless contribution.

Ever realized that both eyes have rarely need the same correction, and that my glasses may need a reading and far sight correction, which isn't available from that revolving rack.

I know a lot of chaps with a white coat, but only few of them are qualified to check my eyesight, so did you have any specific suggestion .

• Like 1

This guy would be OK for a prescription only:

http://www.pattayaeyecenter.com/

I would suggest this over Euro Optics.

Also can go Pattaya International Hospital. No problem to get a scrip.

Phyathai a good idea too, but that's not in Pattaya.

Called the pattayaeyecenter and he said he only write prescription if you buy the glasses from him..

Will give PIC a try.

Called Pattaya international and they do the prescription, charge would be 2000 Baht . Not included glasses that is.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

I would also recommend euro optics. My experience is that they did a thorough eyes test to upgrade my reading glasses, I did purchase the new glasses from there which expense wise was in line with other opticians. On collecting the new glasses I was presented with the prescription embossed on a visa type card. Best service I have had after experiencing a lot of opticians in Pattaya including the overpriced hospitals.

Happy hunting

I would also recommend euro optics. My experience is that they did a thorough eyes test to upgrade my reading glasses, I did purchase the new glasses from there which expense wise was in line with other opticians. On collecting the new glasses I was presented with the prescription embossed on a visa type card. Best service I have had after experiencing a lot of opticians in Pattaya including the overpriced hospitals.

Happy hunting

I don't want to purchase glasses from Euro optic or any other Thai optical shop, because online I get the same for a third of the price, and I get a frame that isn't children size but actually fits on my head.

In fact I buy a fitting frame including progressive lenses for the same price as i can buy a bottom priced non fitting frame only in Pattaya.

Problem is that I need a prescription which would take about 15 minutes all together, but Thai opticial shops don't want to do this and hospitals ask inflated prices for it.

If I was in my homecountry now, I would just walk into the nearest optical shop and leave with a prescription at a reasonable price .

I initially recommended Euro Optics for a prescription, with another viable option in Sriracha, that I've personally used. I've to say that you're definitely off the cuff stating that they only sale children frames, besides since you're not interested in frames, what do you even know/care about this?

Additionally, it would be quite interesting to hear what jintig has against this shop, as he's already pissed on it twice.

I initially recommended Euro Optics for a prescription, with another viable option in Sriracha, that I've personally used. I've to say that you're definitely off the cuff stating that they only sale children frames, besides since you're not interested in frames, what do you even know/care about this?

Additionally, it would be quite interesting to hear what jintig has against this shop, as he's already pissed on it twice.

Who say I'm not interested in frames ? How would I hold the lenses on my face without a frame ? I need a frame that is at least 140 mm wide, otherwise the temples need to be bended to accommodate my head. I've bought eyeglasses in Pattaya for the past 14 years and have never been able to find a frame that had this size, or it was a very expensive imported brandname frame. Not only is the frame width important cosmetically, but it is also so to fit your pupilar distance.

I would also recommend euro optics opposite Garden plaza. Most other "opticians" here are a bunch of cowboys but she gives a very professional service. Why not buy your glasses there as well?

I answered that question earlier already. Where I order online, Zenni optical, a decent frame with spring-hinges and 142 mm wide is 23.95$ ( roughly 800 Baht ), but they have frames starting from 6 $ ( 200 Baht ). The latter are the frames you can find here starting from 2000 Baht, the former you can only dream about in Thailand or pay top money for a brandname.

Progressive High Index lenses ( 1.61 ) are 54$ ( 1750 Baht ) including all the add ons . Try to find a high index lens anywhere in Pattaya under 8000 Baht.

OK. I am feeling pressured to say a little more and I can say this as a general item of suggestion.

For people who only need READING glasses, you can go to any place that has computer analysis or just test different strengths yourself.

For more complicated needs, such as progressive lens, ask yourself, which would be a better choice to provide a prescription, an actual EYE DOCTOR (Ophthalmologists), or a person that is not an actual EYE DOCTOR? Your choice, your money, your risk. Say no more.

Another advantage of getting an eye exam with a DOCTOR is there you can be screened and diagnosed for specific eye diseases beyond just the practicality of correcting vision with eyeglasses.

Note: no, I am not suggesting the place in question uses instant computer analysis machines.

Edited by Jingthing

OK. I am feeling pressured to say a little more and I can say this as a general item of suggestion.

For people who only need READING glasses, you can go to any place that has computer analysis or just test different strengths yourself.

For more complicated needs, such as progressive lens, ask yourself, which would be a better choice to provide a prescription, an actual EYE DOCTOR (Ophthalmologists), or a person that is not an actual EYE DOCTOR? Your choice, your money, your risk. Say no more.

Another advantage of getting an eye exam with a DOCTOR is there you can be screened and diagnosed for specific eye diseases beyond just the practicality of correcting vision with eyeglasses.

Note: no, I am not suggesting the place in question uses instant computer analysis machines.

I agree with most of what you're saying, however don't understand why you're putting down the recommendations for Euro Optics. The OP needs a prescription, and an Optometrist should be more than capable of doing so, and I'd say just as well as an Ophthalmologist. OP's not looking for a complete eye checkup.

Of course they have an instant computer analysis machine at Euro Optics. Most places do, as they start off with that to get a baseline on your vision, just as they get a reading off your old glasses. If memory serves me right, they even used one of those at Phyathai, when I went there for a complete eye examination. Why start a vision test from scratch, when you have these tools available to you?

However if the analysis machine is all they use, then of course that's not good enough.

That joint does extensive manual testing as I already indicated.

I don't wish to say more on the matter.

Up to you!

As far as I see, this is the first time you mention manual testing, extensive or other.

Concluding from this, with your previous comment about computerized analysis machines that would not be good enough for a vision test.

I'd say extensive manual testing should be a good thing then, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am interested too in this discussion because I intend to buy new glasses online too wink.png

A friend went to BPH earlier this month asking to get a new prescription. He got one, good, but the visit to the ophthalmologist there cost him 2,200 baht ! More than the price of his new lenses...

I need a very low correction and have no astigmatism, so any glasses shop could made this prescription, but clearly they don't seem willing to do it - even for a fee - if you don't buy them glasses or lenses.

I will have to check Euro optics, except if someone can say already if she accepts to make prescription, and at what price ?

I will also look if the new public hospital in Soi Buakhao can do that...

The dog chewed up both pairs of spectacles last month and the prescription was in the UK. The frames were OK but the lenses were buggered. Upon a recommendation in another thread I started here, I took my frames to Euro Optic where they tested the original lenses then tested my eyes and came up with a prescription. Fitted the new lenses to the existing frames and charged me 2000 baht with 3-days delivery.

In the UK, I went to my regular optician with the other pair of old frames and after re-testing my eyes (5 years since last test but no measurable difference), made up new lenses and fitted them to the existing frames for £114 or about 6200 baht for delivery within the hour. The 'express' fee was only £5 of the total cost!

On getting back to Thailand, I compared both prescriptions and they are identical. Apart from the extra retinal imagery. glaucoma test and a new-fangled peripheral vision test at the UK shop, the basic eye tests were identical and equally as thorough in terms of duration of testing.

I have no problems recommending Euro Optic for new or replacement spectacles. They match the UK optician when it comes to testing and beat them hands down when it comes to cost.

My only comment on mail-order prescription filling is that on every eye test I have ever had, in the UK, US and now Thailand, the optician needs to measure your head to precisely center the lenses on your actual eyes. I have absolutely no clue how an online service can do that measurement which would appear to be quite a critical part of getting prescription lenses fitted to frames.

Hi. I am interested too in this discussion because I intend to buy new glasses online too wink.png

A friend went to BPH earlier this month asking to get a new prescription. He got one, good, but the visit to the ophthalmologist there cost him 2,200 baht ! More than the price of his new lenses...

I need a very low correction and have no astigmatism, so any glasses shop could made this prescription, but clearly they don't seem willing to do it - even for a fee - if you don't buy them glasses or lenses.

I will have to check Euro optics, except if someone can say already if she accepts to make prescription, and at what price ?

I will also look if the new public hospital in Soi Buakhao can do that...

The new hospital is a negative, been there and got the answer they don't have the devices.